Are you a Homo Sapiens or Homo Interneticus?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vng2015

Reaction score
BBC has coined the term Homo Interneticus. Homo Interneticus does not have any offline friends. They are addicted either to talking/arguing online, or playing video games or worse.

I like arguing online. I have about 12,000 posts on many forums -- half in Russian half in English.

For a few of my teen years I was 100% a homo Interneticus lol now, not so much...

lonelypanda said:
For a few of my teen years I was 100% a homo Interneticus lol now, not so much...

How did you return from being a Homo Interneticus? I am a Homo Interneticus more then ever.

TheRealCallie said:
One would guess by going out to join the "real" world.

I am 45. I am a mostly unpaid intern -- working at home. I do not drive due to Asperger's and Depression. I simply have no access to society. I am not asocial.

I am trying to find telephone friends.

vng2015 said:
TheRealCallie said:

I am 45. I am a mostly unpaid intern -- working at home. I do not drive due to Asperger's and Depression. I simply have no access to society. I am not asocial.

I am trying to find telephone friends.

All I see there are a bunch of excuses. Sorry, but if you really want to do it, you would find a way.

I'm not saying you have to, I'm just saying all you did in that last post of yours was give excuses. If you don't want to go out into the world and be social, that's cool and it's your right. There's nothing wrong with that.

TheRealCallie said:
If you don't want to go out into the world and be social, that's cool and it's your right.

I am sorry. I am sort of OK with my situation, and not looking for big changes.

The only thing I really lack is offline friendship -- even phone friendship.

vng2015 said:
TheRealCallie said:
If you don't want to go out into the world and be social, that's cool and it's your right.

I am sorry. I am sort of OK with my situation, and not looking for big changes.

The only thing I really lack is offline friendship -- even phone friendship.

Well, Asperger's and changes don't really go well together, for the most part, so that much I understand. If and when you do decide to change your circumstances, start slow and work your way up, you can do it, you just have to let yourself :)

TheRealCallie said:
Well, Asperger's and changes don't really go well together, for the most part, so that much I understand. If and when you do decide to change your circumstances, start slow and work your way up, you can do it, you just have to let yourself :)

Thank you. Do you have any advise on how to find telephone friends online?

vng2015 said:
TheRealCallie said:

Thank you. Do you have any advise on how to find telephone friends online?

I would suggest getting to know people and then moving into a phone relationship when you get to know each other better and you are each more comfortable doing that.
Skype is also an option that a lot of people here use to talk to others. It may not be specifically phone, but it is voice.

There's always the chat room, as well. It's not voice or phone, but it's a good way to get to know people better.

TheRealCallie said:
Skype is also an option that a lot of people here use to talk to others.

Thank you. I should learn Skype. Can I talk to a Skype number from my phone?

TheRealCallie said:
I don't know much about skype, as I don't use it, but I believe skype has a mobile app, as well, so yes?

I will research it now. I do not know -- maybe there are some places where I can make telephone friends of which I am not aware.

I would have joined people on Meetup, but I can not travel.

vng2015 said:
lonelypanda said:

How did you return from being a Homo Interneticus? I am a Homo Interneticus more then ever.

I literally never went outside for a little over a year, I stayed in my basement on the computer all night and slept all day. It was just one random sequence of events that pulled me out of it. I had an odd craving for Spitz so I decided to go to the store across the street, it was an usually warm night so I decided to go for a walk, which I never do without music, but this time I did. I ended up running into these 2 teens who were high on ex and jibbering my ear off. They wanted me to go to their house and hang out, another huge no no for me back then but I decided fresia it. I ended up meeting my first bf that night and that kind of pushed me out of my funk. That all happened because I did something out of the ordinary from my usual routine. If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten. That night changed my whole way of thinking, if I had said no to any of the above things I wouldn't have met my first love, and today I wouldn't have half the experiences in life that I do. Sometimes you just got to get the fresia up and do something because no one's going to hold your hand and do it for you.

Is there an Asperger's support group locally which you could join? It would help you to meet people in a non pressurised setting. I find the AS group I belong to invaluable.

BeyondShy said:
I like blondes, brunettes and redheads. :)

Do you always look at it encoded...?

In answer to OP, I would guess I am homo interneticus, although even then I struggle to maintain or keep any friendships that develop. Usually after a few weeks they move on... :(

If we are going by how many friendships we have on either side, well internet certainly wins for me. I am, however, much more social irl than I am on the internet atm.

I'd prefer to keep playing my video games while still staying sapient. In case that's an option.

TheRealCallie said:

Sorry, I don't find anything "real" in the world. People talking on the back about others and then acting like nothing, people hiding their intentions just to get something from you; lying to you. Tv shows and movies pandering to sell you stuff and distorting the facts, the news and media owned by a handful of people that represent their agendas. Marketing telling you what you should, what to think, how to act, playing with your image to convince you you take your own decisions. People pretending having the life they're supposed to by buying expensive things on debt. Showing their relationships on facebook as if they're perfect. People getting plastic surgery, face lifts, liposuctions, implants and so on.

You won't get the "real" behavior of people by interacting with them normally. Is hard to find genuine relationships, even by being genuine yourself.

Latest posts

Back