Are You The One Standing By Yourself At A Party

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

570rm47

Reaction score
Hey all.

I was invited for drinks by young lady she wasn't dumb when i had been chatting to her for a while txts facebook etc, it was not really the right way to meet at that time but hey im eager to meet people.

So i got there and she was awesome no one else was there except her flatmate who fortunately takes ages to put on her make-up, it was a little awkward but still ok.

As more people arrived i ended up aloof and alone as usual, but i never minded this before its just me and people always still like me even if for some reason i make them feel that they need to be a little further away from me than most others.She drank heavily i did too she was really inebriated, I ahh can really put it away and what i say and do is still fairly close to myself uninfluenced. The things that i had glimpsed in her that i liked she suddenly loathed in herself she was apart from everyone else not as bad as myself she began to use different language dumb it down so to speak. I understand that sometimes vocabulary can be a barrier both ways, but it wasn't with her she never asked wait what does that mean she understood and i appreciated her skill with with these extra literary devices.

Her sharp intellect and cognitive ability that separated her she couldn't turn it off she just couldnt be a part of the others, and all i did once she was drunk was make it worse like looking in a mirror and seeing only what you hate instead of everything.

When i spoke to other woman she was paranoid and jealous made separated from everyone even more so than usual, there was only 3 guys amongst about 10 girls. Later she said i was being weird and different, but of course a little of me is ok, but alot of her and a half bottle of Johnnie Walker on top is not and makes things really hard to deal with, i couldnt get close because of her behaviour. I spoke to her step sister and she just said "messed if i know thats what XXXXX is when she gets on it". When it was time to go to town she was way to drunk and after a bit of help she was persuaded that it was bed time, at which point instead of letting me go she drags me to her bedroom pours more drinks for us starts babbling semi-coherently over a large collage of photos in a frame then grabs me and falls down her bed crying needing comfort i slept in her bed and held her for a little while

I pity her cos she does not love herself and her things that her mind will do for her, i hate her cos she made me feel like honeysuckle and made me question my own uniqueness, that through trials of life including nearly three years in prison i have learned to live with, try being eccentric in a social environment like that its not a word they understand unless you make them. I hate myself because i feel that in some way its not her fault and that i should be in some way more understanding. And worst of all there is something that makes me want to see her again i dont know why i just do.

Why do i feel honeysuckle i was gentleman i had impeccable manners. I have felt as she does in the past but i got over it, why am i suddenly bothered by standing alone at a party again after all this time, Why wouldnt she look me in the eye in the morning. Im no longer a violent person but why does this enrage me. Why does it make me feel so lonely.

Well i bet that wasnt the way you would have liked to meet her for the first time. Probably the reason why you dont feel good about the evening, maybe you had higher hopes for this girl. I know you said you wanted to see her again, but do you think she is the type of person you want in your life ??? Maybe you just want to see her again because you are lonely.
Then again, maybe you should see her again... over dinner or something where you will get to know the real her, and not the drunk her.

Thanks whispers your a very linnear thinker i am arrogant and forget that not everybody likes to share a bottle of whiskey and a few chasers and will still be themselves and remember the evening.

I wonder are expectations any more or less wrong for being intellectual rather than being physical.

As much as i hate to admit it, i must be lonely, and what is a man if he does not feel the need of woman if he feels that she has some need?

hmm, women have needs, do you want to be the one to fill that need... can you ?? Sometimes its impossible, thats why many men feel like failures in their relationships. ( she already demonstrated some kind of jelousy when you were talking to othergirls) Do you want to save her ?? if you do think about it.. this is the basis of a dependant relationship. i hope i am making sense to you.
All i want is for you to think about what motivates you to persue this relationship, are you doing it for the right reasons ? Feeling needed and beeing happy are not synonyms.

It depends on who I know at the party, if its with a lot of people I know, Im usually having a good time, if I dont know anyone, but theres booze, Im usually able to talk to a few people, but when I dont know anyone and Im sober, Im messed

yeah... drunk people are not meant to be taken seriously....

Thats why I need alcohol to be social... Im alone if I dont.
but alcohol has gotten me into trouble before now that I think about it.

whispers said:
Well i bet that wasnt the way you would have liked to meet her for the first time. Probably the reason why you dont feel good about the evening, maybe you had higher hopes for this girl. I know you said you wanted to see her again, but do you think she is the type of person you want in your life ??? Maybe you just want to see her again because you are lonely.
Then again, maybe you should see her again... over dinner or something where you will get to know the real her, and not the drunk her.

Hey there again whispers im not gonna pursue this woman as much as i think she has many qualities i am unable to find in most people, co-dependency is not really a good starting point to begin a relationship of any sort whether it be a friendship or more. It was to point out more the fact that i am a man and i had to admit that i had an instinct that responds to this woman's need, but your affirmation of this really make me feel more positive about abandoning her when she obviously needs someone im just not the person she needs to help her. I have gained peace and lifestyle balance, it is not good for people in my enviroment if i should ever slip in to the lifestyle from my past. I am a little hard on myself though because i still feel like i have failed this woman i hardly know.

I don't go to a party unless I know I will know people there so normally I am not standing alone.

Now if there is loud music and a lot of alcohol then I am standing by myself. I can't stand being around people who are drinking and my hearing is too sensitive to loud music.

To the very few I get invited to, yes. It's an awful feeling, it truly is. All I need is a hug at those bloody things.. Just a hug would cheer me up immensely, it would make me feel so happy like you wouldn't believe.

Just a hug... *sob*

blackdot said:
I don't go to a party unless I know I will know people there so normally I am not standing alone.

Now if there is loud music and a lot of alcohol then I am standing by myself. I can't stand being around people who are drinking and my hearing is too sensitive to loud music.

When I was younger I went to parties quite a bit. I wanted to socialize and meet people. I was always stood on the edge of groups though and people ignored me. So then I placed myself in the middle but people would turn away from me. I always ended up stood there by myself. I usually ended up going home early.

This happened when I was teenager / early twenties and for a long time I wouldn't go out. It was too painfull. I'm better at socializing now but I don't go out often, once or twice a year usually.

I usually am the one awkwardly throwing myself into conversations, and everyone wants to change the subject.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
I usually am the one awkwardly throwing myself into conversations, and everyone wants to change the subject.

Working in retail helped me. I had to talk to people, customers and staff. I work on the till and talking has become easy for me. I talk to everybody and everybody seems to know me. lol

I do have a 'at work personality' and a 'not at work personality' though. Away from work, I am quiet and withdrawn and keep myself to myself.

Although I wasn't alone at the only party I've gone to thus far, I felt very oblivious.

Apparently it's socially unacceptable to start water fights at "formal" partys before everyone gets hammered- who knew?

I've been to a few "meetup" group activities and maybe said a dozen words total. It seemed that everyone was already in their little cliques. So I know the feeling, completely.

Latest posts

Back