Artificial Intelligence

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom_lonely

Reaction score
Will computers ever have human level intelligence?

or surpass our intelligence?

Will they be able to think abstractly / creatively / intuitively?

Will AI be benevolent or will it see us as a threat and wipe us out?

Can AI be contained, or real freedom part of the bargain and we'll just have to risk their reaction to us?

If you are a fan of AI -- post your thoughts!

I'd be inclined to say no. Who can really sum up magnitude of human intelligence with any certainty. I once heard it said that humans only utilize something like 10% of their brain's capability. It's my belief that our brains are capable of much, much more than we realize. Also, some humans are far more intelligent than others. It would be impossible to compare every human's intelligence level with any certainty. Let alone compared to AI.

IgnoredOne said:
Define intelligence.

1.capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and similar forms of mental activity; aptitude in grasping truths, relationships, facts, meanings, etc.
2.manifestation of a high mental capacity: He writes with intelligence and wit.
3.the faculty of understanding.
4.knowledge of an event, circumstance, etc., received or imparted; news; information.
5.the gathering or distribution of information, especially secret information.
6.Government .
a.
information about an enemy or a potential enemy.
b.
the evaluated conclusions drawn from such information.
c.
an organization or agency engaged in gathering such information: military intelligence; naval intelligence.
7.interchange of information: They have been maintaining intelligence with foreign agents for years.
8.Christian Science . a fundamental attribute of God, or infinite Mind.
9.( often initial capital letter ) an intelligent being or spirit, especially an incorporeal one, as an angel.

Taken from:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/intelligence

I feel that AI is just around the corner. Hardware does need to catch up a bit though; give it 50 years and we would see something that is intelligent in some form.

Yes

Yes

Yes

We will see both types

Can AI be contained, or real freedom part of the bargain and we'll just have to risk their reaction to us?

Freedom is out of the question; AIs will have status as property akin to slaves back in the day, they will not have personhood and will be kept in check by external (to their interface) devices. Rogue (free) AIs will be put down as a danger to society.

LoneKiller said:
I'd be inclined to say no. Who can really sum up magnitude of human intelligence with any certainty. I once heard it said that humans only utilize something like 10% of their brain's capability. It's my belief that our brains are capable of much, much more than we realize. Also, some humans are far more intelligent than others. It would be impossible to compare every human's intelligence level with any certainty. Let alone compared to AI.

I don't have an answer.

Have you ever gone to one of those sites where you can "chat" with a computer system that is supposed to "simulate" a human being?

I suppose if you were not able to tell if it was a computer or a human being...that could be an acceptable standard for my purposes.

I am not trying to prove or defend the merits of AI or even define intelligence. I just want your thoughts...and I think I have them!

perfanoff said:
I feel that AI is just around the corner. Hardware does need to catch up a bit though; give it 50 years and we would see something that is intelligent in some form.

Yes

Yes

Yes

We will see both types

Freedom is out of the question; AIs will have status as property akin to slaves back in the day, they will not have personhood and will be kept in check by external (to their interface) devices. Rogue (free) AIs will be put down as a danger to society.

I don't think we will find this to be possible.

AI will want access to the the same resources we have, including the internet. We can't do that AND control it.

Think "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines" - once exposed to the internet the AI became "self aware" very quickly. Duh, this was a movie -- but I think the scenario is not totally without merit or possibility.

LoneKiller said:
Not what you wanted to hear?:)

No...I am fairly well-read on the subject, including those who get caught up on what "intelligence" actually means.

I believe AI will emerge gradually until there is an "EVENT" - a singularity.

It will, in effect, be the birth of a new species.

Like many enthusiasts, my concerns are not with whether or not we can, but should we, and what might follow if we go ahead and pursue it.

Just because a computer is "super smart" does not mean it will squash us.

My fear is that it wouldn't realize how "important" we are in our own eyes. It might destroy us with no speck of remorse or hesitation, simply because we are competing for resources it requires. Do you feel "bad" when you slap a mosquito?

I think it depends on how you define intelligence, you could say that intelligence develops very early in humans, and when we are born, we come with a very basic set of 'instructions' that are 'built in' to our brains, we use these instructions until we learn to do things ourselves, develop rules, common sense and learn from our mistakes. We're constantly programming our brains to do things, e.g. have you ever done something enough times whereby you can do it without really thinking about it?

But having said all that, computers can be programmed to do all those things, and more. Who remembers the first computer to beat a human at Chess? A grandmaster champion at that! It was called Deep Blue...

Alan Turing devised a test (predictably called the Turing Test), which is a test of a machines ability to mimic human intelligents. It works like this; a human sits at a computer terminal and engages in natural conversation, the terminal is connected (separately) to a pre-programmed computer and then another human, and if the human engaging in conversation between the two cannot tell the difference from the computer and human, then the computer passes the Turing Test. But since this was all in the 1950's, it wasn't accepted much, I think he was a little ahead of his time!

If you haven't already seen this doc, you should watch it. There is a man in it that speaks of the possible dangers that AI presents to humans as it becomes more and more advanced.

[YOUTUBE]X5e_gPJ2t9g[/YOUTUBE]

tom_lonely said:
IgnoredOne said:
Define intelligence.

1.capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and similar forms of mental activity; aptitude in grasping truths, relationships, facts, meanings, etc.
4.knowledge of an event, circumstance, etc., received or imparted; news; information.
6.Government .
a.
b.
c.
an organization or agency engaged in gathering such information: military intelligence; naval intelligence.
7.interchange of information: They have been maintaining intelligence with foreign agents for years.
9.( often initial capital letter ) an intelligent being or spirit, especially an incorporeal one, as an angel.

Taken from:

Now define the first in a meaningful way.

A computer is already more capable of grasping some things better than us; a well written SQL database can visualize and indicate financial trends better than a team of accountants in a shorter amount of time. But what is truth?

The Turing Test is interesting but instrincally flawed; will we define flight by how closely a machine resembles a pigeon? It has always been a great springboard, but that's been a fundamental flaw of it - just resembling humanity doesn't necessarily make it intelligent, when it can be beyond humanity.

Install a failsafe chip on the robot that is programmed to disable the power supply as soon as it leaves the designated zone, at any attempt of tampering with its internals, etc. This chip can be independent, not connected to the main circuitry.

People have found it easy to hold slaves for thousands of years. Information downloaded through the internet does not have any immediate result; the robot is still restricted to the physical resources it controls.

There will seldom be malfunctioning "rogue" AIs that will cause fatalities. It will just serve as a reminder that these machines need to be kept in check.

IgnoredOne said:
tom_lonely said:
IgnoredOne said:
Define intelligence.

6.Government .
a.
b.
c.

Taken from:

Now define the first in a meaningful way.

A computer is already more capable of grasping some things better than us; a well written SQL database can visualize and indicate financial trends better than a team of accountants in a shorter amount of time. But what is truth?

The Turing Test is interesting but instrincally flawed; will we define flight by how closely a machine resembles a pigeon? It has always been a great springboard, but that's been a fundamental flaw of it - just resembling humanity doesn't necessarily make it intelligent, when it can be beyond humanity.

Define #1 in a way that is meaningful for me or for you?

-capacity for learning

As a software developer I've learned how to program computers. I was not born with this knowledge. I learned it.

-reasoning

I can be given a set of specifications and turn those specs into a functioning program. I can determine when not enough information is present to complete the task, and ask questions designed to extract the needed information from my human counterparts.

-understanding

If someone asks me to do something, I can draw upon past experiences in order to solve the problem. Past experience results in understanding of what might be needed to solve current problems which are similar in nature.

aptitude in grasping truths, relationships, facts, meanings, etc.

-All present during computer programming for any non-trivial task.

I can't match a computer in some things as far as raw computational power. Generate 10 numbers, 10 digits in length, and then add them together:

Computer: DONE

Me: Huh? : )

I think the Turing Test was intended to test just the "conversational" abilities of the computer.

We are talking back and forth right now. I can "tell" you are a human being.

Could a computer be having this kind of conversation?

I wouldn't say a computer is more capable of grasping things than humans, imean, a computer program is only as good as it's programmer, sure, you could program it to learn things for itself but there are limits, since even the best computer programs (or 'intelligent') work by using complex algorithms. Speed certainly is on computers side, that's one thing we can't match.

Your right about the Turing test, it may be flawed for computers to mimic a human, but then isn't that what we do when we develop from a child to adult? Mimic our human parents, learn from them. If a computer really could be truly intelligent, wouldn't they also need some sort of template to evolve from?

I saw a program once about a baby girl that had been brought up by dogs for five years before she was found, she was unable to speak and behaved completely like a dog, crazy as it sounds, just an example of what I was talking about...

perfanoff said:
Install a failsafe chip on the robot that is programmed to disable the power supply as soon as it leaves the designated zone, at any attempt of tampering with its internals, etc. This chip can be independent, not connected to the main circuitry.

People have found it easy to hold slaves for thousands of years. Information downloaded through the internet does not have any immediate result; the robot is still restricted to the physical resources it controls.

There will seldom be malfunctioning "rogue" AIs that will cause fatalities. It will just serve as a reminder that these machines need to be kept in check.

Name a security system without flaws. The robots would find a way. Or it wouldn't have to be the robots. A disgruntled employee. A failsafe chip that is defective. Who watches the watchers? And who watches THEM?

I was not speaking purely of information download, but rather, information dissemination. Taking an intelligent program and then replicating it to 1000s of other computers, then leveraging their combined strength.

AI will hopefully never be a bother. Unless we build machines designed to kill and then give them AI. Which we probably will do one day lol. It's all about Skynet FML!

Latest posts

Back