Ask the Australian

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is worse to run into a Yara-ma-yha-who or a Bunyip?

I must confess I have never heard of the first. Might be a different Aboriginal nation (lots of languages). I'd be scared of a bunyip, for sure.

Don't ask about the drop bears.

Being related to the Koala, i wasn't concerned about them but for anyone interested here is the Australian Museum's page on the Drop Bear which does mentions some repellents for them.

Shhhhhh... :)

That museum page is quite academic, but it misses out some key facts:

1. The drop bear tends to prefer as prey those humans who do not have an Australian accent. Foreign tourists are advised to not speak when in woodland areas.
2. Sometimes a drop bear will drop onto a human for reasons other than hunger. Just think... umm.. male drop bear and the human ear hole.
3. It was unforgivably negligent of that museum site not to mention that you can repel drop bears by smearing Vegemite on your cheeks.

You're welcome.

My mistake. It did mention Vegemite. Good on the ol' OZ Museum. A cool institution.

I got a stupid question, but one we talked about at Fathers Day lunch at grandpas.

Why does water in the toilets in Australia spin the OTHER way? That confounds me lol.
Also, are there still parts of Australia you can legally move to that are completely uninhabited, like your closest neighbhor is a 2 hour drive and you dont need to pay taxes or anything?

Water in toilets doesnt spin the other way. Huge weather systems do.

Yes, 'last fuel 400km' signs exist. There are stations (ranches) that are the size of Belgium. And then there's the deserts.

But you have to buy the land and pay tax.

Latest posts

Back