Aspiring Comic Artists???

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-Free

Reaction score
Looking for some other people that likes to draw comics in some way shape or form. Would love to meet some others like me and see what can become of it, whether it be exchanging work or just talking about how much we love it. Its a great outlet for me but alas I never have anyone to talk to about it...kinda leaving me in my own world, hehe. So how bout it? NE1?

Oh! I am! :D I'm actually going to school to become one.

Hi, the name's Moody. 20 year old aspiring comic artist. Nice to meet you.

Same here. I go to school as well. But its online...so once again I'm by myself learning things. I'm not getting the push from ohter people that I need and I can't correct myself, hehe. Where do you go to school at? My school is art institute Online.

I haven't started going there yet, but I plan on going to SCAD within the next year or two.

I can understand how you feel about not getting that push from others. I've been in an artistic drought for at least a year now that I've been desperately trying to get out of.

I just don't have that inspiration and motivation to draw and finish comics like I did back in high school; I think my depression has a lot to do with that. I'm not sure what's happened in these three years that I've been out of high school...

I'd really like to start getting back into gear, because I know I can make a really good comic with the new skills I've obtained.

J-Free said:
...Its a great outlet for me but alas I never have anyone to talk to about it...kinda leaving me in my own world....

Hopefully you remember that we have an "Express Yourself" area if you ever feel like maybe you want to show some of your work.

Minus said:
J-Free said:
...Its a great outlet for me but alas I never have anyone to talk to about it...kinda leaving me in my own world....

Hopefully you remember that we have an "Express Yourself" area if you ever feel like maybe you want to show some of your work.

very very true :p GAH i should post some of my last things :p

I've been in an art super for about six months. I draw my own world of heroes and characters...I think it's to help cope with the loneliness...I create certain aspects of myself in individuals and let them save/destroy the world while I'm not being apart of the world around me. I tried painting and pastels, but no, comics is where its at for me.

Never been an avid comic writer, butI can crunch out some pretty good stories...but to have the clarity and precision of an actual writer would be great to have too. As an Oregonian I always wanted to start a career at Dark Horse Comics posted in Portland, then see what stems from that.

I'll be sure to post my work. Thanks for a reminder that I can show my work freely here. Hope to hear more from you guys. This can really help boost my motivation

As far as writing stories, my forte tends to be comical, lighthearted stories; but I've really been wanting to do some sort of action/adventure type story for the longest, just to test if I have "range", so to speak.

Speaking of range, since starting college, I've been trying to tweak my art style to make it look more western, as I feel the way I draw (still) looks too Japanese for people to take me seriously as an artist... It's... been very frustrating, to say the least.

(*sigh* Yeah, I admit, I'm a fan of anime and manga, but not as big of a fan of it as I was when I was a kid. I've pretty much grown out of it, as most of the newer stuff doesn't interest me these days. Unfortunately, I doubt my art style shows that to other people... *sigh*)

How skilled would you say you were...thats how I was. DBZ is what got me into drawing...comics got me into wanting to make a living from it...so I fused my style...haveing a feel of both worlds...of course I'm still trying to perfect my form. I'd love to see some of your work on here on day...I'm confident I'll be posting some myself.

J-Free said:
How skilled would you say you were...thats how I was. DBZ is what got me into drawing...comics got me into wanting to make a living from it...so I fused my style...haveing a feel of both worlds...of course I'm still trying to perfect my form. I'd love to see some of your work on here on day...I'm confident I'll be posting some myself.

Yeah, reading Dragon Ball was what got me started to. Akira Toriyama was my biggest influence when I first started drawing. Dragon Ball will forever hold a special place in my heart.

As far as my skills, I don't like to admit it to others in fear of coming off as arrogant or being a ******, but deep down I know I'm one of the best in my class. Although... I tend to never be happy with what I produce when I compare my work to others...

Despite my artistic insecurities, my teacher volunteered to write a letter of recommendation to SCAD once I begin transferring. So I'm guessing that's gotta say something about my skill.

I know I can still improve on almost everything, especially color, since I've just now started to use it seriously. I just wish I can get better at using all of these techniques I pick up as fast as I learn/discover them.

Thats how I've gotten to do pretty well at digital coloring. I took a class and went crazy...although my Photoshop skills are limited, I make due with what I can. From what it sounds, you may be further along in your skill than me. But I too wish to be an elite. My inspiration went from Akira Toriyama to the late Muchael Turner...and I'm somewhere in the middle...but not as crisp and...ya know...perfect, hehe

Moody Blues said:
As far as writing stories, my forte tends to be comical, lighthearted stories; but I've really been wanting to do some sort of action/adventure type story for the longest, just to test if I have "range", so to speak.

Speaking of range, since starting college, I've been trying to tweak my art style to make it look more western, as I feel the way I draw (still) looks too Japanese for people to take me seriously as an artist... It's... been very frustrating, to say the least.

(*sigh* Yeah, I admit, I'm a fan of anime and manga, but not as big of a fan of it as I was when I was a kid. I've pretty much grown out of it, as most of the newer stuff doesn't interest me these days. Unfortunately, I doubt my art style shows that to other people... *sigh*)

hey, why don't you go with Minus' idea, and post some things? i don't draw manga at all, and if you want can maybe give you some ideas on how to branch out into a more western style, i guess :p

at any rate - awesome to have more artists around :D

(hugs) :D

You guys should all work together to make a special ALonelyLife cartoon series, full of the silly little mishaps and downers of life...but always with a little bit of hope in sight. :p

----Steve

****, this is GREAT :D:D:D
and while by virtue of certain tree sketches you lose the rule of the domain of stick figures to Minus, this is amazing to me, being pixel art... i could NEVER have the patience to do such stuff :D this is AWESOME :D

and oh GOSH so funny as well :D
lets see what i can do about it lol XD

Latest posts

Back