Being Single Rocks My World :)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stranger

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I would just like to share the story of my progress from hating being single to loving it.

Like so many of you on this forum, I used to feel acutely lonely and always wonder what was wrong with me that made attractive members of the opposite sex (men) never pay attention to me. Finally at age 25, I got into a real relationship with a guy - not the man of my dreams, but a decent match for me, I thought. It was soo not worth it! Being in a relationship involves not just kisses and hugs, but also putting up with the other person's bad habits, character faults and selfish demands. In my case, significant other was the epitome of a spoiled man-child. I think he only ever paid for me on 1 date, but he was never shy to ask for things he wanted - like cookies and backrubs, but it got to the point where I didn't want to see him anymore because every time he would ask for favours that made me feel used. He was also kind and caring and attentive, and we did many fun things together at first, but eventually bad things outweighed the good, and the romance degraded into an emotional trap.

After finally ending that relationship, I realized that I'm much much happier on my own. I have lots of free time now - I've been able to do more work, go to bed on time every day, start exercising again, read interesting books. Strangely I hardly feel lonely anymore, even though I don't have any more friends than before. I feel that people respect me more because I'm less emotional due to adequate sleep and higher self-esteem. I don't think it's just a phase because it's already been several months since we broke up, and I am only more certain that I could happily live my whole life without committing myself to another man. I don't ever want to hear anyone fart in the washroom, share a bed with a snorer, or spend weekends cooking. I do regret giving myself to this person, who took so much from me.

I wish I came to this realization without having to date someone. I hope some of you might be able to do this. Independence and freedom are so valuable - don't throw them away just for anyone! The right person will come along for many of you, but in the meantime, you can still enjoy your life and pursue your own goals. Most importantly, find your self-esteem - you must not only see when people are trying to use you, but have enough courage to rise above that and say "no".

And finally, you're not missing out on a major life experience - relationships aren't all they're made out to be. True love is very rare. In fact, if you've ever lived with roommates, that's a more accurate picture of a relationship. And if you're worried about still being a virgin - it's noone's business but your own, so don't cave in to that ridiculous social pressure. Not having sex is very healthy and safe - after all, STI's include not just the scary diseases we've all heard of, but also things like HPV which up to 40% of North American men carry, according to a recent study. Always do what's right for you!

You just havn't been rock N roll right....
I cant compair ur man child to the rest of us barbarians.lol

Anyhow..I'm glad youre happy where youre at right now.
Thats what counts..your happiness.

I'm not totally sure about "not having sex is very healthy and safe"; I think you might be missing a psychological aspect here.

I love Barbarians :D. I just want to encourage other lonely people to be happy NOW and not to throw themselves into the first relationship they get a chance at.

And yeah, not having sex is awesome! No psychological drawbacks at all!!! :D

Stranger said:
I love Barbarians :D. I just want to encourage other lonely people to be happy NOW and not to throw themselves into the first relationship they get a chance at.

And yeah, not having sex is awesome! No psychological drawbacks at all!!! :D

I guess friends can be benificail when you really need them:shy:

I have to wonder if the OP would sing the same tune if she actually liked the guy she talks about here.

@Chaotic Neutral: Uhhh what..... I do care, I do want to have sex.... so I guess I do care. However, the whole companionship and love garbage.. I do not really care about.

being single doesn't ''rock nobodies world'' this a complete lie, because humans are social animals. It deteriorates the mind, lowers self-esteem, brings mental pain, and eternal sadness.
Life is about making memories and social interaction , and interpersonal relationships over money i would take.
People that failed to meet social expectations or ''believe'' to think being single have already fallen into the abyss of abomination and have Cognitive dissonance

sounds like the OP is a some christian/catholic fanatic...

@ Copacel, I'm not advocating cutting all social interaction. It's important to be close to your friends, family, etc. I just think it's beneficial to become a complete person before you attach yourself to someone. 50% of marriages end up in divorce, and even more relationships end before that stage. Separation can have devastating effects if you were dependent on the other person, which is just one reason why independence is a great asset to help one through life.

@ AFrozenSoul, yes, I did like the guy and it seemed like we had a future for a while. I don't hate him even now.

I'm not lying about being happy. Also, I think it's typical for women to get less from a relationship. According to studies, women's wellbeing increases on average after a divorce, while men's wellbeing decreases. Women have less negotiating power in a marriage (due to being physically/socially weaker and earning 35% less) and as a result are expected to contribute more (e.g. majority of housework and childcare in addition to working full-time). So you guys don't have to be mean. This story contains positive advice for those who want it, but it's not directed specifically at you. I'm sure some people will find it useful. Peace everyone!

Stranger said:
@ Copacel, I'm not advocating cutting all social interaction. It's important to be close to your friends, family, etc. I just think it's beneficial to become a complete person before you attach yourself to someone. 50% of marriages end up in divorce, and even more relationships end before that stage. Separation can have devastating effects if you were dependent on the other person, which is just one reason why independence is a great asset to help one through life.

Very wise.

I find it interesting. So many people want to find their "other half" that will "complete" them. They compensate by sacrificing who they really are, into what they think the other person wants them to be.

In reality, it should be the other way around. Two independent people that make a team together. Someone very close to my heart once told me, "A relationship should be like two butterflies. Each perfectly capable of flying on their own, but they choose to fly together."

Seriously though, could totally go for some cookies right now. I've been thinking about them all day. Shortbread to be precise.

Haha that's a good point Limlim - perfect time for shortbread cookies! Go ahead and get some right now!!! :D

Oxblood, that's a beautiful quote. I will remember it! :)

@Stranger: I guess like was not a good word for me to use. The way you talk about his habits. It sounds like you may have had an attraction to him. However, you did not have any real emotional attachment. If you did you would not be able to part with him in such a way. You sound like you cut off the blister. When you have a true emotional attachment you do not cut it off you slowly peel it off one cell at a time.

I guess I can better sum it up. Your experience with a relationship was Negative > Positive. Not the other way around. When that is the case. Then being single is an enjoyable experience. Hell I experienced it when my roommate went to live with his soon to be wife. Free alone, not having to deal with his honeysuckle. That is what I meant here.

Really interesting opening post!

Unfortunately, I'm not sure you can actually make the sort of discovery you made without having a relationship. I've been trying for years to tell myself that I don't need someone in my life, but everything emotional (read: irrational) in me shouts out the opposite.

I think until I know what it's like to hug, kiss, do coupley things and even experience the bad stuff, I don't think I'm going to be able to shake that feeling and just be content at being single.

I mean, I don't know about others, but I don't even feel "single". That implies I want to be alone. It's more like being single because I don't know how to be anything else, which is less a desirable self-revelatory journey and more a rather depressing state of existence.

Interesting opening post!

I definitely think being single has its benefits. That being stated, I definitely want a relationship at some point.

I love the opening post, and well done Stranger for writing it all out.

Before I go further, can I just say that I had to smile that one of the things your guy wanted from you was cookies. That's just... if only satisfying a person's demands was as easy as baking them cookies!

So... I pretty much agree with everything you wrote, Stranger. I have had relationships in the past, and have always found - no matter how much I like the person - that the negatives outweigh the positives.

Kisses and cuddles get old after a while. I shy away from sex because of my personal values, and to be honest I'm not very fond of being touched at all, so the whole tactile thing about relationships is something that I would almost count among the negatives anyway.

I'm also not the type of person to emotionally open up to anyone, and that's basically because I don't want to. I don't enjoy the feeling of sharing my intimate thoughts, and I don't even do it with those who have known me the longest, so why should I do it with someone new?

Yes, romantic dinners, walks and so on... nice for a while. Ok, maybe nice forever with the right person. But is that reason enough to commit yourself to all the negatives too? For me, no.

It's fun to have someone to do things with, but you don't need a relationship for that. A friend or even a dog suffices!

Yes, I am lonely, but that's mainly because I don't have any friends lol. Well I do, one, but he lives away, so no one to do things with on a frequent basis. The key consideration in this, I believe, is the minor detail that I'm bipolar and therefore very hard work. This is not something I complain about; indeed, if I was someone else I probably wouldn't want to be around me much either!

But taking it all into account, I too am someone for whom relationships are not only pointless, but also counterproductive.

Being alone ftw :)

Wow, thanks everyone for writing - I totally didn't expect to get so many replies!

*Hugs* to TheSolitaryMan. It must be so tough wanting to experience a relationship and not having a chance. I used to be like that too, and I found the hardest impact was on my self-esteem - always wondering what was wrong with me and such... But one thing to keep in mind is that some people just don't set their standards very high, or are just unlucky to fall for the wrong person. I've heard a story of how Whitney Houston, an incredibly talented and successful singer, fell in love with a man who was a drug addict, which led to a total derailment of her career and health. So you totally *can* do well on your own, right now! Also, friends are easier to find than relationships :D

@AskingTheEarth - Wow, it's so cool to find someone who's had the same experience! Yeah, I'm not much of a physical person either - really don't enjoy things like French kissing or sweaty hands all over me :S . But more than that, I was tired of having to fight over every little health and hygiene issue that I assumed was basic, but apparently wasn't, like washing hands and some stuff that's maybe not appropriate for a public forum :p. I would only get in another relationship if it was with a person I'd spend the rest of my life with - otherwise, it really is counterproductive and a waste of huge amounts of time. Sorry to hear about your bipolar problem - it must be so hard not being able to control your emotions. Maybe it can get better somehow? I know a lady who really kept it under control with medication, and I've heard cognitive therapy also works. You sound like an interesting person - I think you should be able to find friends!

Ive been in relationships most of my life. As far as women liking me. I dont have challenges
as some of these guys that's never kissed a woman or gone out on dates.
Most women I got involved with actaully asked me out..so to some of these people
it's like another phenomenon.

To me its like..."holy wow man...no wonder you're suiecidal" If
you havnt had milk N Cookie all your life. ( those was code words for one of my
ex when we wanted to have sex...becuase we were parents with young kids)

Being a daddy, Ive had my fair share of changing diapers.
I'm like " Holy wow, Honey...I believe this is something a woman can do better than a man"lol

My exwf was really cool. We got married when we were young. We were both
sexually not too experinced. Anyway, since we were marreid. We eat together,
sleep together and bath together...ect she let me exploded every inch of her body.
Thats when I got into liking eating cookies all the time.lol

Ive also been in serveral toxic relstionship. That can get really
really crazy.

As a far sexuality gose...ive gain experinced ove the years.
I can be soft and gentle or I can ravage ya.
I really like to make the woman im with happy..I try my best
anyhow. So in the bed room I do that samething.
I've learned to get a woman off...off in different ways.
It's not all about me....

Ive also been single again for about as long as you have.
I can appricate the freedom, less responsiblities..etc
It's cool sometimes. I dont have that crazy crazy aching
feeling. That stravation type of loneliness. Im not
despreate to jumping into a serious relationship or a commitment at the moment.
I go out have hang out with friends. And I still attract a fair amount of women to
me even at my age.

Having been around women most of my life..and getting to hold them and touch them.
Ive develope a habit of keeping hands and nails clean. There's certain things you
develope after a while and dont think too much about it.

I don't know if these guys that's never kissed a girl on this board are still picking their nose
in front of women. You cant really tell from the net.
Yeah..certain basic hygene..such as not spitting in front of women or talking with your mouth
open while chewing food..
I have male friends...and some of these guys are still like pigs.lol

As i said if you're happy where you are at...at the moment.
Enjoy it...have a great time. If it rocks for you..it rocks for you.
Do what's best for you.

Latest posts

Back