Book Club Thread

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unacceptance

Reaction score
For us Bookworms, this is the thread to discuss what it is we're currently reading, favorite books worth checking out, and books we're looking at, anything else book related.

I'll begin:
51C3WNPK37L._SS500_.jpg

This is the book I am currently reading. Panzer Commander - The Memoirs of Hans Von Luck, who was a an officer in an armored warfare division during World War 2.

This book I would recommend specifically for history buffs. It get a little technical at points and it's written by a military man's point of view in historical context, so those not able to tell the difference between a half track and a panther may be a little lost.

Other than that, it does give an excellent insight into "the other side" of the story. He is a member of Hitler's army and sheds some light into what was actually going on both in the country itself and the army during this time period. It's actually not full of propaganda and I do not condone nazi-ism in any form, however I am very adamant about folks learning their history.

The man himself led an amazing military career, He was a part of the Blitz which initially took all of Europe, he was at D-day, served under Rommel in the AfrikaCorp, was at the Eastern front, and ended up as a Russian prisoner. He is well educated and writes in a very clear manner, I'm not done but so far I've gotten far more interested in this book than I initially was when I saw it at the used book store.

Funny you should be reading a book on WWII because I am too.
I'm currently reading "With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa" by E.B. Sledge

10d0c0f451.jpg

This has to be one of the most horrifying books I have ever read. It's a first person narrative about the author's experience in WWII.
This is not one of those technical books on history but instead puts a human face on WWII. I think anybody who is gung-ho and believes war is this glorious venture should read this. It will change your mind and make you appreciate what soldiers endure when they go into combat.

A book every lonely person should read:

The-Catcher-in-the-Rye-by-JD-Saling.jpg

Its a truely outstanding book, i've read it at least 8 times since i bought it when i was 15.

Yin said:
Funny you should be reading a book on WWII because I am too.
I'm currently reading "With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa" by E.B. Sledge

10d0c0f451.jpg

This has to be one of the most horrifying books I have ever read. It's a first person narrative about the author's experience in WWII.
This is not one of those technical books on history but instead puts a human face on WWII. I think anybody who is gung-ho and believes war is this glorious venture should read this. It will change your mind and make you appreciate what soldiers endure when they go into combat.

Heh, I have that exact same book sitting on my bookshelf and is probably one of the one's I'm going to read next (I tend to read 2 or 3 books at once)

sleepflower said:
A book every lonely person should read:

The-Catcher-in-the-Rye-by-JD-Saling.jpg

Its a truely outstanding book, i've read it at least 8 times since i bought it when i was 15.

Honestly, I feel like beating Holden Caulfield up every time I lay eyes on this book.

Just finished....

10835695-795233.jpg

and am currently starting Ham On Rye by Bukowski.

In the Miso Soup was pretty good though. Short read that is not forgettable.

Finished up Bukowski's Ham on Rye. A great book I highly recommend to anyone who is living a real lonely life and is very uncertain of their future.

Just started...

14402646.JPG

Nearly finished Sharpe's Battle, part of the Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell which is about a fictional officer in the British Army two hundred years ago who was promoted from the ranks which is a rare thing to happen.

In this novel, Sharpe and his company end up shooting more French people, though vey different from the TV version (a must watch the whole series is amazing!) which is what he does in practically every book.

Just started:

51a3CiqbtdL.jpg

Book I've been meaning to read for years now. Finally just got it.

Few pages into it and already I dig.

My high school offers Arthurian Legend as an alternative for senior english, so I'm taking that class now. We just started The Mists of Avalon, a book which I had read in junior high and enjoyed then and am much looking foreward to reading again.

Mists_of_avalon_book_cover.jpg

and, just because it's cool, this is a picture of Glastonbury Tor. Glastonbury Tor is built where it is speculated that Avalon once stood. So, this is a picture of mist in winter with Glastonbury Tor poking through the top (a.k.a. the mists of Avalon). It used to flood to become an island, but modern dams and waterways prevent that now, so it's no longer an island at all. But it's still neat :]

Unacceptance said:
Just started:

51a3CiqbtdL.jpg

Book I've been meaning to read for years now. Finally just got it.

Few pages into it and already I dig.

Is that the thing off Beowulf?

Halfway through Last Exit to Brooklyn. Its becoming one of my favorite books. So brutal and so real.

wwwrandomhousecom.gif

Just got done reading Tolstoy's The Death Of Ivan Ilyich, it was a pretty good book,kinda depressing but it really puts things into perspective for you, it is short too so it is a relatively easy read

Now I'm going to read George Orwell's 1984

1984.jpg

ringwood said:
Unacceptance said:
I re-read that book at least once a year. Probably my all time favorite, or if not, very close.

Hee, hee...Me too. Same with The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood...Ever read it?

Yea I am about 200 pages in, it is very good, scary how similar some things are in the book with the possibility of what might happen in the near future

I look forward to reading on to find out what happens but at the same time am dreading it lol

I finished Last Exit to Brooklyn and it was real good. Makes me want to get into more Selby Jr.

Now I'm starting this tonight....

house_of_leaves.jpg

Latest posts

Back