Buddhism & Meditation

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poguesy

Reaction score
Curious as to whether anyone here follows Buddhism and/or practise meditation?

I've met a couple of people in life who've stayed at those temples and they seem quite chilled and at piece with everything.

Apparently, you can achieve the same psychological heights through meditation as you could taking ketamine.

Just seems a worthy religion and one I may look into.

I'll let you know. I am traveling to Nepal in June to teach English tbuddhist monks. I get t stay at the monastery and learn meditation. I don't really follow any religion, but my day to day philosophies mesh best with much of the Tibetan Buddhist traditions.

I don't see why religion is necessary in order to meditate or be in a meditative state... or reach a state of inner peace.

I've practiced meditation at different levels and different stages of my life. I've also been to a couple temples, it was nice. I say check it all out if you are interested.

From what very little I know and or have retained, there are many different schools/approaches. Most of my experience comes from the Zen, Theravada, and Tibetan schools. I find the culture surrounding Buddhism to be very interesting.

As far as practicing meditation goes, I've just basically meditated when I felt like it. I've experienced some worth while things. I've had insights, reached different states of consciousness, but I do not have a deep practice, nor do I wish to develop one. There are benefits to be reaped, if you seek them, there also pitfalls to avoid and watch out for as well. Meditation can have some very adverse effects if practiced incorrectly. There is a practice for everyone and not everyone's practice is for some one else, and for others still, it's best just to avoid practicing at all. Some forms of Buddhist practice are near purely philosophical in nature and focus very little on actual meditation.

I think the best way to go about things is to find/have a good teacher...

I'm far from an expert on the matter, though. Just some one who has meditated here and there, been to a few temples, and read a bit....

I lived near/inside one of those temples (= center) for one year + three years, I can tell you very few people there are chilled, but the places usually have this very positive vibe. The intellectual approach can be quite harmful, as Westeners already tend to think too much and desperately need to learn to relax, meditation is best for that, but well, to each his/her own.

Latest posts

Back