Bumping Into An Old Friend Was Very Awkward For Me. Have You Ever Experienced This?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneKiller

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. I hope that this thread finds you all well.:)

Had an awkward experience earlier today. I was out and bumped into and old friend I used to party with. Haven't seen or heard from him in over a decade. All of a sudden, I found myself finding it very difficult finding something to say. I was uncomfortable to say the least.

Has this ever happened to you? If so, did you find the situation awkward?

Thanks for viewing.
-LK

I've felt that, and I don't think it's that unusual. During our lives, there's people we're pushed together with by circumstances, and we only really have our shared interest, or mutual friends, in common with.

Take away those things, and some of our friends, a few years down the line, we won't have too much to talk about.

I once bumped into an old school a few years after I'd left, she asked if I was at collage or uni I mumbled out no and her response was "my parents want me to get an education."

Lovely.

Felt honeysuckle for days.

Hm no. I've never felt embarassed unless I hadn't taken a shower t hat day.

Last time I bumped into an old friend, I accidentally called her boyfriend gay. And he was right there.

And I secretly still think he was. Emo kid. (no)

Badjedidude said:
Last time I bumped into an old friend, I accidentally called her boyfriend gay. And he was right there.

And I secretly still think he was. Emo kid. (no)

Okay, I can see why that might have been embarassing, lol.
We all say daft things from time to time, so it's not that big a deal.

annik said:
I once bumped into an old school a few years after I'd left....
Felt honeysuckle for days.

Ouch.. sounds like it hurt pretty bad.. :p

What's funny is that I'm getting ass handed to me by Goro in "MK 9" every time I fight the jerk. Man, what an ******* he is.

Some time ago I bumped into an old classmate who used to be quite a hell raiser as a kid. He would always disrupt classes, pick fights, occasionally set fires and was the poster boy for bad behaviour. I remember the teachers warning us not to be like him otherwise our lives will turn out bad and wasted. Those scare tactics kept me in check all through school and later life, I’d better behave and do the right thing (not necessarily the thing I wanted to do) otherwise I’d turn out like that kid. Work hard, sacrifice, behave and all that conditioning jazz.

Anyway so I bumped into this guy who had been in and out of prison like it was a supermarket. He was amazingly well spoken and friendly, he had an expensive car, owned a chain of successful hotels and two beautiful kids. He joked about how his life turned out good and enquired about mine, adding that he has always admired me for my resolve and chivalry and it was clear that he expected me to have done well and prove that hard work pays off.

I didn’t have the courage to tell him how I turned out, I didn’t want to disappoint him or admit my disappointment in myself so made my excuses and quickly left, **** that felt so awkward.

If I see somebody from my past walking up the street,I cross the road and look in shop windows to avoid them.I still don't know why I do it!

Some years back, I ran into the chap who'd been my best friend in high school. It didn't take long for us to realize that we really had nothing to talk about anymore. We may have been friends in the past, but now we were essentially strangers. There was an awkward moment while we were trying to decide which of us was going to end the conversation. I did, and that meeting was one of several reasons why I decided to avoid any reunions. If I had nothing to say to him, what would I say to people I hadn't known that well. Lost Drifter, I really related to your post. Some of the biggest coasters I knew in school are now some of the biggest success stories I know of. I avoid them, online and irl, because I'd be too embarrassed to answer any questions.

Anonymous Rex said:
Okay, I can see why that might have been embarassing, lol.
We all say daft things from time to time, so it's not that big a deal.

I didn't say it was embarrassing for me. I wasn't overly impressed with her guy, and I didn't care enough to hide that fact.

I very rarely get embarrassed about anything. I don't get bothered much by awkwardness.

My point was that there's no shame in awkward meetings... it happens all the time, to everyone.

No biggie. :)

I bumped into a girl I had a crush on in high school, and very briefly "dated". Fortunately she didn't look as hot (and she used to be pretty god **** hot). It wasn't really awkward, but I remember thinking afterwords "I'm glad I don't see you often".

I don't like running into old friends. I avoid the town festival where I went to high school because I don't want anyone to see I have gained weight since high school.

i have i ran into an old aquiantance...who i considered my best freind/brother...at a bar...since the other aquiantance i was with had invited him...it was quite akward...but since i was under the influence it kinda didnt seem to bother me as much as if i had of been sober

It's pretty hard and has happened to me on several occasions.

I ran into a guy I knew from high school. In high school we were such good friends, but seeing him after many years... it was a sorta "Hey, how are you, what do you do now?" awkward conversation.

One awkward thing... at the gym I train at, someone who used to severely bully me in junior high school was there and now trains there too. He is so different nowadays... I mean no offence by this to anyone, but he honestly reminded me of a "born again Christian" that you might see in a movie or a TV show. He was incredibly VERY nice but... it just still felt so awkward! :p

funnily enough, I did bump into an old high school friend about a year ago in a supermarket.

it was awkward too, because right after we exchanged surprised pleasantries and were parting ways, I accidently jammed my shopping cart into her ankle. oops.

Yeah, I've had awkward moments like that. Usually when there are strangers involved (a friend of your friend you don't know), or people are in a hurry.

Apart from those times, I usually enjoy saying hi to people from my past. The longer it's been, the more interesting it is really. More things to tell..

Latest posts

Back