Bumping Into An Old Friend Was Very Awkward For Me. Have You Ever Experienced This?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I bump into old aquaintences I don't rele talk for too long, most of the time there is a reason we don't speak now.

I just be polite. Although I now live near an old mate from a few years ago who basically abandoned me in my time of need so I will be annoyed if I bump into him again :p

I once had a guy from highschool see me while i was waiting the light to change so I could cross the street. he was in his car and had to wait for a green light as well. What happened was that he recognized me and next thing he was pushing a very loud 'conversation' with me that i really didn't want to have, considering how I was in a crowd and felt like i was on center stage. major awkward moment

So I have a friend..no, really! Stop laughing.

Anywho, I have a friend who said that she always felt poorly when she ran into someone she use to know. The reason she gave is that she never felt she accomplished that much with her life since high school and to discuss what she was 'up to' now always felt self-defeating and embarrassing.

I personally don't feel comfortable with that situation either, but for different reasons. It seems to always be the people who I barely knew that come up to me all excited to see someone from HS. I don't care to be rude, but if I wasn't really friends with you in high school, why would I care to reminisce about high school with you?

JasonM said:
It seems to always be the people who I barely knew that come up to me all excited to see someone from HS. I don't care to be rude, but if I wasn't really friends with you in high school, why would I care to reminisce about high school with you?

Haha exactly. There were really quite a few people in my grade who I would be happy to meet. For some reason, I always run into the ones I'd rather not talk to. If it's someone I liked, it's usually really good to talk.

But generally, it can be quite awkward talking to someone you haven't seen in years. Often you only talk about those standard topics, like what do you study, where do you work, bla. It can be so disappointing because afterwards I'll feel like I haven't really learned anything about how that person is doing...

What blows my mind is when people who subjected me to every form of abuse and humiliation back in grade school approach me now as if we are long-lost, best-buds. Madness. -LY

YEah i know what its like!
I usually walk the other way when i se people i know or used to know. I actually avoid social situations all together as much as possible. I used to love interacting but over the past 5-6 years of my life have drawn away. I dont feel like i fit in, I hate listening to the quiblings of others and how there children are awsome, or there job is so terrific and making small talk about bullshit..i honestly dont care how well they are doing. I would rather just keep playing Call of Duty watching National Geographic and drinking beer.

Swamp Yankee said:
What blows my mind is when people who subjected me to every form of abuse and humiliation back in grade school approach me now as if we are long-lost, best-buds. Madness. -LY

HA, i feel ya on this!
I had the honeysuckle kicked out of me in school, was made fun of, litterally sent to the hospital with blood from being beaten up so bad. I used to hate going to school. I have this issue with family as well. Subjected me to honeysuckle my entire life, drugs, alcohol, verbal abuse and then tell me im an ******* anf want to be lonely when i dont want anything to do with them or that i "just cant let go of the past" as i remeber all the shitty things that were done and said.
People are Crazy

Three years past college, I ran into my sorta gf I had known in college. She told me to get a real job (my current one for one that gave me sucky money for the amount of stress, since I was working days and nights for some jerk who was basically scamming me on minimum wage).

(Subject title is way too long, dammit. I had more stuff, but I deleted it, because I thought the message was too long)

Latest posts

Back