Can you express yourself easily?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends... Sometimes I don't find any words to say even if I think a lot about it again and again. But then sometimes I can express myself almost too much. >_<

I'm better expressing myself through written means rather than spoken, I'm calmer and less reactive to what's said in response. I think people sometimes should sort issues out over email rather than face to face.

I'm a typical man, very laid back, rarely get annoyed and can forget things easy... unless I feel I'm being criticised. I'm quite poor at taking criticism.

Lippy_Kid said:
I'm better expressing myself through written means rather than spoken, I'm calmer and less reactive to what's said in response. I think people sometimes should sort issues out over email rather than face to face.

I'm a typical man, very laid back, rarely get annoyed and can forget things easy... unless I feel I'm being criticised. I'm quite poor at taking criticism.

Thats true about every man I guess. :)
And yeah its easier to talk to people with written means than face to face.

silversurfer said:
ForGrantedWife said:
A quick response to someone looking hurt or angry to settle it would do just fine :) A "Hey don't take it that way, I didn't mean what you think I meant. I'm just not good at getting my point across clearly." would suffice. And a gentle smile helps soothe feelings too when you say something.

Yes that can be done rather than wait and let the time do the healing.

WallflowerGirl83 said:
I'm a very expressive person, but when I first meet someone I'm a very shy person and it takes awhile for me to warm up to them. Once I get to know them better, I'm very very expressive. =)

I don't open up to people even after I spend a lot of time with them.

StarvingZombie said:
They believe they have empathy but in reality are far from empathetic , they see life through only set set of glasses

This is the reason why sometimes I think that problem is not with me but with people. People just fail to see the world with someone elses view point.

@Badjedidude

I agree with your signature, People are quick to judge without understanding what others must have gone thru in life.

Triple Bogey said:
No I can talk about anything to anybody when I feel like it.
I prefer my own company most of the time though.

If I can talk about anything to anybody I would never stay in my own company. :rolleyes:

I don't like been in a group of people, never have !

I always have difficulity expressing myself with words. Knowing two languages helps, but most people here are pathetic at english. (here as in real life). I tend to talk faster than i can think of what i'm wanting to say, causing me to stutter, as well. People seem patient with me though.

Like you i can say things that come across as offensive while not meaning that at all. I have a very sarcastic sense of humour, and often people don't realise i am actually making a joke, which gets me in trouble every now and then.

I have been used to "I don't want to hear it" and "I don't care" phrases... So I stopped expressing myself. Ironically, the turn around was "Why don't you tell me anything?!" Gee, I wonder why? ><

So yes, I have difficulty expressing myself, due to never being "allowed". I've been working on counteracting that, which is painfully hard... Especially since, like you said, people tend to take things wrong or "assume" or twist the words... But when your words aught to matter the most (relationships for example) you need to be able to communicate... To express how you feel, and why you feel that way.

I also have a stutter. I have been working on it (slowing my speech), for a year and a half.

-Sai- said:
I always have difficulity expressing myself with words. Knowing two languages helps, but most people here are pathetic at english. (here as in real life). I tend to talk faster than i can think of what i'm wanting to say, causing me to stutter, as well. People seem patient with me though.

Like you i can say things that come across as offensive while not meaning that at all. I have a very sarcastic sense of humour, and often people don't realise i am actually making a joke, which gets me in trouble every now and then.

Language can be an issue if you are living in some other country, or talking on internet with people from different cultures. Sorry to hear about your stuttering issue.

Skid Row 89 said:
I'm as inarticulate as you can get and to make matters worse I get embarrassed very easily.

Embarrassed about what?

Senamian said:
I have been used to "I don't want to hear it" and "I don't care" phrases... So I stopped expressing myself. Ironically, the turn around was "Why don't you tell me anything?!" Gee, I wonder why? ><

So yes, I have difficulty expressing myself, due to never being "allowed". I've been working on counteracting that, which is painfully hard... Especially since, like you said, people tend to take things wrong or "assume" or twist the words... But when your words aught to matter the most (relationships for example) you need to be able to communicate... To express how you feel, and why you feel that way.

I also have a stutter. I have been working on it (slowing my speech), for a year and a half.

Lols you are so true about "why don't you tell me anything". I have heard this so many times from people who think they care about me.

@Badjedidude

oops :D

@davey

hello there

My thoughts are a jumbled mess and most of the time it's hard for me to form a proper sentence. I know what I want to say but I don't know how to say it. Mostly why I hardly ever post on here. c:

silversurfer said:
Skid Row 89 said:
I'm as inarticulate as you can get and to make matters worse I get embarrassed very easily.
Embarrassed about what?
Embarrassed at how I come across to others. When I'm anxious around someone (or some number of people) I really can't hide it and I get the feeling most people think I'm an oddity.

It sucks when in school they make you read stuff outloud. In front of everyone. That is the one thing I could never do. But then again coming from schools where the teachers started the ridicule...

I'm fortunate that for the most part I've never had a problem in expressing myself.
I've grown up doing Public Speaking and Debating, so I've had to learn to express my thoughts to groups of people. I've had to learn how to get my point across without being condescending and I've had to learn to muster the courage up to not be afraid to speak my mind.

I've had to talk about some pretty rough stuff. Racism, poverty, sexism. They can all be pretty scary subjects, especially when you know a single word can determine how every single person in a room thinks of you.

Outside of that... I've had a lot of problems in the past with expressing how I feel to my friends, mostly because I've had to swallow all my feelings when being around my family out of fear of being judged as weak, or inappropriate.
I've had to work on that a lot over the years, and I'm at a point where most of the time - even if it takes a little bit of effort; I'm able to tell someone exactly how I feel one on one.
Then there's women. Oh god. Let's not go there. Me, communication, and women do not go along together at all. I stumble over words, I say what I don't mean and I can never seem to convey a point clearly.
It's frustrating.

Oh well, room for improvement. Things to work on.

I don't have trouble expressing myself I don't think. maybe more the reverse. I may tend to over-express myself.
people know right away just even by my body language lol.

Walley said:
people know right away just even by my body language lol.

emoticon-0112-wondering.gif

Skid Row 89 said:
Embarrassed at how I come across to others. When I'm anxious around someone (or some number of people) I really can't hide it and I get the feeling most people think I'm an oddity.

Yeah I know the feeling. People can really see that you are not comfortable which makes things even worse.

Ignis said:
I'm fortunate that for the most part I've never had a problem in expressing myself.
I've grown up doing Public Speaking and Debating, so I've had to learn to express my thoughts to groups of people. I've had to learn how to get my point across without being condescending and I've had to learn to muster the courage up to not be afraid to speak my mind.

I've had to talk about some pretty rough stuff. Racism, poverty, sexism. They can all be pretty scary subjects, especially when you know a single word can determine how every single person in a room thinks of you.

Outside of that... I've had a lot of problems in the past with expressing how I feel to my friends, mostly because I've had to swallow all my feelings when being around my family out of fear of being judged as weak, or inappropriate.
I've had to work on that a lot over the years, and I'm at a point where most of the time - even if it takes a little bit of effort; I'm able to tell someone exactly how I feel one on one.
Then there's women. Oh god. Let's not go there. Me, communication, and women do not go along together at all. I stumble over words, I say what I don't mean and I can never seem to convey a point clearly.
It's frustrating.

Oh well, room for improvement. Things to work on.

@bold can you share your experience with us. How did you work on that and managed to overcome it? :)

It is really easy for my to express myself. Of course, English is not my native language, and it is pitty, that I cannot express my feelings, using some nice words and literary expression. I just write what I feel - and no problems.

No. It is difficult for me, and most of the time my words come out sounding different than what I was thinking and meant to say.

Ignis said:
I've had a lot of problems in the past with expressing how I feel to my friends, mostly because I've had to swallow all my feelings when being around my family out of fear of being judged as weak, or inappropriate.

I stumble over words, I say what I don't mean and I can never seem to convey a point clearly.
It's frustrating.

^ That.

Hey there,

I can totally relate to how you feel, silversurfer. I think that it is better sometimes to keep to yourself, but that depends on the situation and the people around you.

For example, I consider myself an introvert who is fine with keeping one's opinion to herself, but since I have a very loud, distinctive voice, everyone listens when I speak up and I was told that I was one of the best readers of all time when I am supposed to present texts or other stuff.

Maybe you just lack a little confidence in your own words, if you know what I mean. If you think what you say is right and you are convinced about it, people will accept you and what you say 90% of the time. Just try to explain what you mean the best way you can, there is no need to be shy about having your own way of seeing things. At least, that is how I handle things most of the time when I have to make presentations or participate in discussions etc.

Be aware that it is impossible to meet with everyone's taste even if you would like to (I know that problem myself). So just tell them exactly how it is stuck in your head, it will probably get across as much more natural than trying to use "the right words". Remember that struggling is always hindering you from being yourself and can create a lot of awkwardness. This needs a bit of practise, of course, but after the first few successes things will start getting easier.

Besides...people might think you have an attitude even when you act normal, that's especially true if you come across as confident and they might label you as arrogant or a wise-ass. Don't listen to them, you can say what you want, it's a free world after all and you should never feel bad for something you believe in. Stay true to yourself, even if it is difficult sometimes. There will be people who will respect you for that because it proves that you're not letting every little thing influence you.

Practise makes perfect, but I am sure that just saying what's on your mind in that exact way would be a good start. I think you shouldn't be holding back just because some guys don't like what they hear. I mean, I have to listen to a lot of things I don't like, too, so this is only fair, right?

I hope I could help a little :)

Latest posts

Back