Can't get past the image in the mirror

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandagrace83

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Amanda. I am new here. I came on here because I am looking for advice from other people than my family and few friends that I have. I was hoping to get some honest feedback and maybe even get some help here if it's possible. It would be great to even make a new friend or two. I'm not here for sympathy. I'm here only because I cannot get past my low self-esteem.

I'm a 28 year old single mom of three beautiful children. I have been through 2 terrible divorces that have taken a huge toll on me. In the past year and a half I have gained something I've never had before, independence. I struggle each day to raise my kids on my own but it's something I've always wanted...to not depend on a man.

I've gotten on a dating website due to the fact that I can't really get out and go meet new people. I've dated 4 guys that way and all have turned out in disappointment. I waited a healthy year before starting to date and I've realized even though I've tried to do this right, I'm not ready yet because of my self-esteem issues. Let me explain....

I was born with Optic nerve hypoplasia. It's an eye condition that has caused me to be completely blind in my left eye and terrible eye sight in my right eye. My right eye is still straight like normal but my left one is not. As a child my left eye wandered like a lazy eye. Well my parents didn't want that for me so they got me surgery. It didn't go well at all. It just resulted in it wandering again. Well in the 6th grade I wanted corrective surgery because I was going into jr high school. That turned out to be completely traumatic for me because they pulled my eye so far inward that I looked cross-eyed. It kills me to even type that word. I hate hearing it. I hate thinking about it. It makes me so sick. My eye is still like that to this day. I try hard to keep my hair covering it. I will also wear sunglasses as much as possible. I keep my head down and try to avoid eye contact at all costs. I do not like being around people and will avoid meeting new people if at all possible. I do not want them to see me.

I do not have time to go to a therapist to get advice or therapy for this issue so this is another reason why I am here. I could save money to get more corrective surgery done but the surgery is never permanent. My condition is though. It's very miserable living this way. It makes me mad at myself, at the world, and life in general. I wish it could be anything but my eye b/c that's the first thing people look at usually when they meet you or talk to you.

I just want to be able to have confidence and not worry about what people are thinking or if they are looking at my eye. I want it to not bother me when they do. And children are the worst. They just stare or they will say something to their parents about me and it's humiliating to a degree I can't begin to explain.

This has been very hard to write but it's the only thing I could think of to do to help me get better one day. Maybe it'll help, maybe it will not. But I'm here. I've enclosed a picture of myself so whoever reads this can see what I am talking about. I also would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking the time to read my post.

Amanda

Attachments

• unmentionable.jpg
    unmentionable.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 58
You're a good looking girl. That's all there really is to say about it. don't let the eye bother you, cause guess what-if it doesn't bother you, it's not really going to bother other people. If your self assured and can act, no believe that there is no big deal about your eye, then others will fall into your belief. Girl you got it going on and don't believe any thing otherwise.

Welcome to ALL Amanda. There's awesome people here to talk too.

I looked at the picture- you're very pretty. I guess the eye issue would be pretty tough to deal with. I don't know if this helps but as many of us mature a condition like that becomes less disconcerting. Since eye contact is such a part of our nature it would throw many off. I really don't know if there is anything I can offer regarding how others react- we're all individuals and some are more focused on outward beauty than others. Its possible that as time goes on you personally will get to a place of confidence that will let this be less troubling for you. That would be pretty inspiring for your kids, having a mother who is proud of who she is and unbothered by the reactions of others.

Is a dating site the best place for you to find a fulfilling relationship? You've indicated they were rather disappointing- maybe give it more time before you try to pull dating into an already busy life with three young ones. Having your independence is great, why not hang onto it for awhile. I was a single dad of two boys at that age and dating was pretty low priority . I'm not saying it never happened but it really wasn't my end all to be all.

I suspect nothing I've offered can change things for you, it's my hope that you do find a way (whether it's surgery, self-acceptance, finding the relationship you seek, or something else) to overcome what troubles you.

Best wishes Amanda

Go to johns hopkins for the surgery. They fixed my wandering eye and are the best in the country I think.

Hi, Welcome
Well i had a friend that was blind from one eye and i didnt even notice in the end.
You are a very pretty woman !! I used to have a message stuck to my mirror, and i would read it outloud everytime i looked into the mirror. ''I love myself, i am beautifull, i am unique, i like what i see, I am gratefull for my beauty....and so on, write your own. It works, i dont have the message on there anymore, still pass in front of the mirror and say, **** i look good !!!

I'm also strong on humour. If ever someone stares , you could say something like...bet you can,t do that with your eye as long as i can. Or '' someone hit me with a frying pan and my eye is like that ever since.

Anyway i realy do think you are beautifull, dont let this overcast everything else you got going for you.

I know this is more easily said than done, but you must learn to love yourself before you can love someone else. You seem like a very lovely and intelligent individual, and it would be a shame for your insecurities to overshadow everything you have to offer to the world.

I would get a pink eyepatch, maybe even cover it with rhinestones. If anyone asks, simply say you have trouble seeing. No more negative comments. :)

I dye my hair pink to offset my awkward personality. And it's not so bad hearing little kids say, "Mommy, she has pink hair!" ;)

Though I don't have much advice to give, I wanted to say that your courage is commendable. You seem like a wonderful mother as well, who has been through more than enough rough times.

Hang in there, dear <3

Latest posts

Back