Can't give rep anymore

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TheSkaFish said:
TheRealCallie said:
Seeing as the offenders think it's just hilarious, I'd say they know **** well what they were doing....

See, I don't think they do. I think that at least two of them are not native English speakers, so some of what they think might be lost in translation, on top of what is already lost due to this being communication on a forum and not face-to-face. They are also somewhat younger than the average member here so they might be lacking in maturity as well, like a kid who ate too many cookies. I think they were trying to apologize in a light way to ease the tension.

Dude, they made threads and posts on giving the points. They knew they were doing it. This is not something hidden. This is something anyone with an account can see for themselves.

VanillaCreme said:
TheSkaFish said:
TheRealCallie said:
Seeing as the offenders think it's just hilarious, I'd say they know **** well what they were doing....

See, I don't think they do. I think that at least two of them are not native English speakers, so some of what they think might be lost in translation, on top of what is already lost due to this being communication on a forum and not face-to-face. They are also somewhat younger than the average member here so they might be lacking in maturity as well, like a kid who ate too many cookies. I think they were trying to apologize in a light way to ease the tension.

Dude, they made threads and posts on giving the points. They knew they were doing it. This is not something hidden. This is something anyone with an account can see for themselves.

Not to mention a few other posts that were made in other threads...including this one. That's not apologetic, it's being childish.

None of what i'm going to say adds anything to the thread, but i want to add my two cents.

I don't know. All i ever do on here lately is either be a clown or a prick. It's why i don't post much at all more. Initially my reaction was the same as you, Callie and Vanilla, are saying. Big part of me still believes that. But i really see where Ska is coming from too. Part of me wants to believe that too, and i guess a small part of me already does. For some reason i always believed PD was trying his best in his own way. I guess that belief could extend to the entire group, though for me it doesn't yet.

Then again, i guess none of this i'm saying matters. I agree with a re-evaluation of that particular function because of what happened.

BeyondShy said:
TheRealCallie said:
Clearly, you don't talk to the right people. It could have happened for you. I mean, as you have seen, 200 reps in a very short time is totally doable.... :club:

The reps you get are deserved. You are one of the most helpful and honest people here. :)

:club:

Triple Bogey said:
BeyondShy said:
TheRealCallie said:
Clearly, you don't talk to the right people. It could have happened for you. I mean, as you have seen, 200 reps in a very short time is totally doable.... :club:

The reps you get are deserved. You are one of the most helpful and honest people here. :)

:club:

Don't start, Putter. Keep your comments to yourself if you're just going to be sarcastic and be a smartass. We have quite enough of that here already without anyone adding to it.

Man...I am gone from the forum for a few weeks and reps go away! Why do people have to ruin a good thing?

Nobody has to explain for any of the parties involved. If they even bothered about how all this has affected the entire forum, they would've spoken up and discussed it. Nobody should be speculating the reasons for why they did what they did. They should be the ones to explain, even if this is not an "issue" to any of them, it clearly and obviously IS an issue to others.

Yes there are no guidelines or rules of such that were broken but this was, as Nilla said, common sense and consideration for others in this community and the usage of a feature on the forum. You want to extensively overuse something or heck, anything in life, be prepared for consequences. No matter how harmless you might think this is, when it involves a whole group of other people, an entire community, you have GOT to expect some consequences, good or bad.

Don't tell me that age among them has got anything to do with that basic understanding because as far as I know, almost everyone else here (young and adult alike) knows how the whole reputation system goes without misusing it - extensively or even to gloat about it because it is generally known how some people would feel about this. Even if they don't care about how it affects other people with this, it STILL does. So too bad and that's why we're here.

People are probably gonna be on my ass for saying this, or even speaking up, or think I'm a bad person for saying these things (I speak for myself and not for anyone else here so pardon me if my opinion bothers you), but that has already happened anyway - thus why I never said a thing yet.... but this matters to me, just as much as it matters to anyone else who feels for this issue. And I'm not on anyone's side, but my opinions do resonate with several people on here and I just can't wait to see a resolution for this.

ladyforsaken said:
Nobody has to explain for any of the parties involved. If they even bothered about how all this has affected the entire forum, they would've spoken up and discussed it. Nobody should be speculating the reasons for why they did what they did. They should be the ones to explain, even if this is not an "issue" to any of them, it clearly and obviously IS an issue to others.

Well this makes perfect sense.

ladyforsaken said:
People are probably gonna be on my ass for saying this, or even speaking up, or think I'm a bad person for saying these things (I speak for myself and not for anyone else here so pardon me if my opinion bothers you), but that has already happened anyway - thus why I never said a thing yet.... but this matters to me, just as much as it matters to anyone else who feels for this issue. And I'm not on anyone's side, but my opinions do resonate with several people on here and I just can't wait to see a resolution for this.

Good post Ladyforsaken. I hope there is a resolution on this matter too.

Well, I'm just sad about it, because it helped me to understand when someone thought I was being helpful. It was a good tool. Bummer.

It's probably a good thing. No more popularity repping.

Not sure what it was doing on a forum like this in the first place.

ardour said:
It's probably a good thing. No more popularity repping.

Not sure what it was doing on a forum like this in the first place.

Lol, there you are. I was wondering where all the popularity pushers were :p

Yeah, like Sometimes said, it helps people by giving them confidence and seeing that what they say isn't stupid and worthless, but that they can actually HELP people.
Don't get me wrong, some definitely do use/see it as a popularity contest, but I don't think that's the majority. I would still prefer a different system, of course, but I do think there should be some kind of system in place for people to easily express when someone is being helpful or funny or all around clubtastic. :Club: :p

I'm sure a lot of us have tons of questions about the hows and whys of the deactivation of the system. I know I do. While I believe a reasonably-phrased public statement (not even an apology) from the persons concerned would shed some light on the matter, I have not seen any of that yet.

The damage is done and I can only see the rep system getting re-activated under strict guidelines - maybe even with a total reset. Surely it worked well enough for a while, but it was just a matter of time till it would be used in a what I would call questionable way - yet again from what I've heard. I had defined the reputation as a representation of an individual's service to the forum and its members for myself. With that in mind, the current image is quite askew to me. I know that people rep'd each other for all sorts of things and that's not a problem. Advice, insight, compassion, entertainment...whatever. As long as it's still somehow tied to ALL and not just a reflection of the friendship among a few individuals. There's always been a gray area but I think we left that behind...especially in combination with the congratulatory threads.

PS: I noticed a lot of people lost a whole bunch of rep points now and I'm kinda clueless since I didn't notice any regulars leaving. Have there been any steps taken on the moderators' side already? Or are some people cleaning up their own records?

Rodent said:
PS: I noticed a lot of people lost a whole bunch of rep points now and I'm kinda clueless since I didn't notice any regulars leaving. Have there been any steps taken on the moderators' side already? Or are some people cleaning up their own records?

No, someone left, I'm just not sure who yet.

TheRealCallie said:

I don't know. I have come up with absolutely nothing...that's why I reckoned something different might be up.

Rodent said:
TheRealCallie said:

I don't know. I have come up with absolutely nothing...that's why I reckoned something different might be up.

Oh I do know it's not just one person, for me at least. I already know who one of them is but have no idea who's the other or others.

TheRealCallie said:
Rodent said:
TheRealCallie said:

Yeah, I have NA in my PMs, so someone definitely left. I'm just blanking on who sent me the PMs. lol

Recently or a while ago? My money would be on Cavey, but I think you'd remember that...I got no another regulars who might've left on my mind and it must've been an old-timer.

Rodent said:
TheRealCallie said:
Rodent said:
TheRealCallie said:

Yeah, I have NA in my PMs, so someone definitely left. I'm just blanking on who sent me the PMs. lol

Recently or a while ago? My money would be on Cavey, but I think you'd remember that...I got no another regulars who might've left on my mind and it must've been an old-timer.

Yeah, it was recently. I didn't PM with Cavey, so I know it's not him.

Nope, last person that left was Cavey. We have NOT deleted any reputations, even by those who grossly abused the system. If reps have been taken away it was by a member. Sadly the rep system works that way too.

Sci-Fi said:
Nope, last person that left was Cavey. We have NOT deleted any reputations, even by those who grossly abused the system. If reps have been taken away it was by a member. Sadly the rep system works that way too.

That confirms my suspicions then. Thanks for reply, Sci-Fi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back