Choice

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evad

Reaction score
As I lay awake last night, I found myself in a very reflective mood-set. Quietly contemplating the course of my life. I have orbited the Sun 30 times now, and something that has been on my mind for the last ten or so years is starting to come to a singular conclusion; I'm going to be alone.

This is not as sad of a topic as it sounds like though, it's actually just a choice that I've come to the realization that needs to be made, to save myself from a vain and pointless goal. The ideal was of course to find someone, get married, and all that jazz. This was perpetuated by pretty much everyone I've ever met. All of my friends consistently finding someone to be with, someone to love, and someone to of course marry. I wager I have been to more weddings in my college days than I have been alive. I enjoy weddings, I like to see my friends get their day. Though that's not the point of this post.

Point being I'm the odd man out. I'm the thirty year old whose an only child, and thus I've been entertaining myself for as long as I can remember. Very small group of friends who I enjoy being around, but they don't seek me out, and I've understood that. I don't draw people to me, it's not within my nature. While I'm not terribly shy, I'm also not that interested in doing something unless I've analyzed it to death, gone over it with a fine toothed comb, and created a host of contingency plans. This has become known to me as a lot of work.

For all my plans, the trials and tribulations of what I was attempting to find (a mate). Nothing has ever proved successful. To be more clear, when I say successful, I mean zero success. I do not mean I've had a few girlfriends, and it didn't work out. I mean, literal zero. You couldn't go through the panorama of my life and find something to string together to even call an actual date. Nope, never got that far. However, it's not really brought me down. I didn't become more convicted to find someone, it didn't motivate me or refresh my endeavors anew. Actually it became tedious, redundant, and way too much effort to bear no fruit.

So as I sat there last night, thinking about this, I came to the conclusion, that I don't care. It's not that I could be classified as asexual. I certainly have a desire, but the motivation to pursue that desire is severely lacking. It's just too much effort anymore to start that process again, only to see the outcome repeated. Not to mention I've heard every bit of advice under the sun. There are certain people out there that nothing works for.

Long story....well more long, I've come to the decision that I won't go after it anymore. I'm not going to put myself out there, do all the legwork and try and generate something that just isn't there. It's just going to be me, and that's fine. And unless a ninja of a woman comes out of nowhere and plans a sneak attack that I can't even see coming, I doubt that's going to change. (I'm highly alert.)

Well I wanted to share this, as I needed to get it out there. Tell someone about it, because as with most of my friends, they'd try and tell me some kind of advice to change this mindset. Whereas here, with total strangers who know next to nothing about me, it can be freely expressed. Thank you for indulging my rant.

perfanoff said:
Don't give up man. It's way too early to give up.

Who said anything about giving up? I simply said I choose to stay single. Whether by inaction or action, the outcome has remained the same. So I've chosen to stop imagining a scenario where it would work, and just go on with my life. If it changes, it changes, but it's going to have to be a special set of circumstances to do so.

Well, I don't see anything wrong with being single. I think more people should choose to be single until they figure themselves out. Instead, many people are too into finding or having someone in their life, that they don't realize that they should step back and care for themselves for a bit.

Good stuff, dude.

Evad said:
perfanoff said:
Don't give up man. It's way too early to give up.

Who said anything about giving up? I simply said I choose to stay single. Whether by inaction or action, the outcome has remained the same. So I've chosen to stop imagining a scenario where it would work, and just go on with my life. If it changes, it changes, but it's going to have to be a special set of circumstances to do so.

This is a good outlook really. Just be open to the idea of it changing.

Please dont set yourself up to fail. Even by avoiding the chance to fail you're still setting yourself up, if you know what I mean. Dont predetermine your life, let death do that. Go after what you want, what you Really want. If you truly choose to be single then thats cool, but only if its what you want and not what you think is all you'll have. There's always someone out there, sometimes love just shows up late.

xninjaguyx said:
Please dont set yourself up to fail. Even by avoiding the chance to fail you're still setting yourself up, if you know what I mean. Dont predetermine your life, let death do that. Go after what you want, what you Really want. If you truly choose to be single then thats cool, but only if its what you want and not what you think is all you'll have. There's always someone out there, sometimes love just shows up late.

This isn't a way to fail, it's an understanding that I'm no longer 'in the game'. You cannot lose if you do not play. The choice to be single is only made because I know that I can and have dealt with it. I'm not one of the majority that needs someone else apparently, and while it's a nice idea, it's not in the cards. I'd rather be myself and be single, than transform into a fake charade to have someone in my life that will never know me.

Evad said:
xninjaguyx said:

This isn't a way to fail, it's an understanding that I'm no longer 'in the game'. You cannot lose if you do not play. The choice to be single is only made because I know that I can and have dealt with it. I'm not one of the majority that needs someone else apparently, and while it's a nice idea, it's not in the cards. I'd rather be myself and be single, than transform into a fake charade to have someone in my life that will never know me.

Of course you should be yourself over acting to attract someone. But if the opportunity finally shows itself, don't shut the window because you made that choice one day.
That is unless you just don't want to have to deal with the constant bickering and bantering of the "fairer" sex. lol

There is absolutely nothing wrong with anything you typed as far as I am concerned. I didn't read it as 'giving up', more that you've decided to just be yourself and wait and see what happens. If it's not a problem for you, then I don't think it should be a problem for anyone else.

Evad said:
xninjaguyx said:

Well I can relate to that.
My need of affection is strong, but not nearly as strong as the need to be myself.

I'm probably never going to date or marry, either.

I've actually given up on the idea of getting a girlfriend. It would be wonderful if I did, but the likelihood of it happening is pretty remote. I'd be more likely to be struck by lightning, or mauled by bears.

From talking with a good friend of mine, I believe just trying to improve myself for the sheer purpose of becoming more versatile and resourceful would be a good start. Also, to be able to help other people, to guide or assist them as I can. Something that can go beyond a simple 70-80 years on this planet would be better. I've read that a lot of people here are Christians, and the same goes for me. So investing in the heavenly future would of course be the best bet. I want to make that my goal, to forego this dating scene, and simply focus on working for Him.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
I'm probably never going to date or marry, either.

I've actually given up on the idea of getting a girlfriend. It would be wonderful if I did, but the likelihood of it happening is pretty remote. I'd be more likely to be struck by lightning, or mauled by bears.

There's a difference with what you're saying, Leaning, and what he's posting. You've completely closed yourself out of the idea - in more ways than one, mind you. I don't see a problem in deciding to stay single, however there may be an issue with someone giving up on things.

Latest posts

Back