Co-worker lost 2 sons to suicide in less than 1 month. What can I do to help?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedstoneOf1976

Reaction score
I'm kinda lost here and I don't want to make things worse. Here's the story:
I went to pick up my coworker this morning and he stuck his head out of the door and said he wasn't coming in and to get the boss to come and see him. He doen't have a phone. He looked pained so a said ok. One morning a couple of weeks ago he was stone drunk and I wouldn't let him in the truck and said to sleep it off. He has missed a couple of weekend shifts for hitting the bottle. I work in a small business with less than 10 people and we hired him over the winter to help with the work load. So when he misses work it puts more stress on me. He is away from home and is making money for his family. From what I have heard he has 7 kids and 5 grandkids. He is late 40's btw. Well to continue the story I told the boss what he had happend. I told the boss that he didn't look drunk just that he was in pain and that he was complaning about shoulder pain last night. The boss went to see him on his morning errands. Boss came back and said that the cops had come to the coworkers house and had told him that one of his sons had committed suicide. :( To say that I felt a little guilty about thinking that he was taking the day off just for a slack day was an understatment. Late today the boss went to go see him and I went too after my shift was done. He was a mess. Empty 60 of vodka, 15 of beer and full ashtray. And he APPOLOGIED to ME for missing work!!!!!!!!!!!. Now I really felt like the bottom rim of a toilet plunger. I had giving him flak for drinking and missing work. I told him "don't you worry about me just do what you need to do for yourself right now." We talked for an hour before having to leave. The boss said he was going to drive him to the airport tomorrow morning so he could catch a plane home. On the walk to the truck the boss said that the day a few weeks ago that my coworker got drunk and missed work because the coworker had lost ANOTHER son to suicide. The boss just found that out before I got there. Nobody knew!! The poor guy hasn't seen his family in a year and only talks to them when they phone him @ work. He really cares for them.
I stopped in to see him later tonight to see how he was doing. Still drunk. He told me that is the only way he could cope. I told him that it was ok to cry himself to sleep tonight Then he would have the strength to care for his family in need. I also said that he would be of no use to his distressed family if he got off the plane drunk. I'm going see him again tonight to make sure he gets some sleep. Man I hate being powerless. [/b]

Whoa, this is really tragic. I don't think you should feel guilty yourself, you didn't know anything at first, you couldn't have guessed.

I'm afraid that the best thing you may be able to do is support him and get him to drink as least as possible. I hope it goes well and he's able to see his family.

Just got back from his house. I'm glad I brought take out as he said he hadn't eaten anything all day. We talked and I found out his sons were..... wow ..... were 16 and 14 years old. He told me his life story and being typical northern abroginal it was both tragic and harsh but he had found the way to survive the abuse and his own thoughts of suicide. He feels guilty that he's away from home and is working to make money to support his family and not being there to guide them. I said that youth @ that age today have a lot harder time then we did no matter how hard we thought we had it. Any one who says different I think is fooling themselves. Thats how I got his life story. I acctualy got him laughing @ my life story. He said that I'll be married by the time he gets back in 3 weeks. Not f*cking likely. But anyways I tired him out and got him to his bed @ midnight so he should be ok for tomorrow. He is so scared to see his family. He really feels he failed.

I can understand how terrible and devastating a self-inflicted death of a person can be on the people around them. To be honest, all you need to do is be there for him. If he asks for help, help him. But he must face his family. There is no other way for the healing process to begin. It will be hard, so very very hard but I know that with everyone together, being positive and staying positive they can make it through. Being an outsider mean that you have the "luxury" of being able to come and go as you please. Use this as an advantage - a pleasant surprise goes a long way when you are grieving a loved one. You are a very caring person and friend. Your co-worker is lucky to have you in their life.

I say well done for actively showing him your support. Lots of people would run a mile.

WOw, such a tragic story. U sound like a very nice person, hard to find ppl around when honeysuckle happens.

Wow...that's such a sad story. I don't know why you are asking what you can do to help, you're already doing it. Good for you. :)

Talked to the boss this morning and there was no problems getting him to the plane. His older brother will pick him up tonight and they will spend a day together before driving out to meet the rest of the family. The boss paid for the plane ticket and left the return date open for 30 days. Now its just wait and see and keep him and his family in my, sorry..... OUR thoughts. I will try to keep you posted. I appreciate your words and thoughts as with me telling this story it allows me to clear through the feelings and confusion and get to what matters the most.

Hi-
Good for you for being there for him in his darkest hours. I don't think there is anything worse than burying your own child, let alone two. I would just say keep doing what you're doing even after he comes back, he will need just as much support in 6 months or a year as he needs now. The simplest things are the ones that mean the most - is he eating ok? Getting some sleep? Getting showers and outside for some fresh air? Does he have a friendly ear to listen to him? Sounds like you've already done a lot to help-

Teresa

Redstone you have a fantastic boss, and you are a very carrying co-worker. There needs to be more people like you out there. I'm sure he appreciates what you've done more than you'll ever know.

Latest posts

Back