Company Policy on Loneliness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lost Drifter

Reaction score
My company hires over 3000 employees and, due to the increasing mental health problems amongst the workforce, is trying to address common issues and to give advice. This month the issue is loneliness and I was a tad apprehensive to see what my usually cold-hearted employers had to say about the matter. So far their tips are:

Spend time with your family and neighbours;
Go somewhere nice with your friends;
Arrange to do something special with your friends;
Have lunch with your friends;
Have a party and invite all your family and friends;

Now while I can almost appreciate them taking a look at loneliness, a lot of their solutions apply to the basis that you already have family and friends, everyone else (like me) is still stuck up the creek without a paddle!

Personally I find their advice up there with “join a club” or “go to the gym” on the annoying scale of loneliness clichés.

self disclosure, nonjudgemental listening skills, active listening skills, communicating your needs clearly while respecting other people's needs.

So far that's what I've learned for social skills.

It is sound advice, but a basic stereotypical effort ... Understandable if it annoys !

Lost Drifter said:
everyone else (like me) is still stuck up the creek without a paddle!

I'd rather be up the creek without a paddle instead of down the creek without a paddle.
At least if you want to get down the creek, you can just float. Not so easy to get back up the creek.

its also kinda hard to give personal advice for 3000 people...

Its a nice gesture. maybe it deserves nice gesture in return..

That advice is kind of like telling a depressed person to "go do something that'll make you happy."

Latest posts

Back