Concentration

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSolitaryMan

Reaction score
I'm curious, does anyone else ever get days where it's just really, really hard to concentrate?

I've got a piece of work due in tomorrow and this whole weekend I've been struggling to get it finished. I keep procrastinating and I can't seem to focus on reading up on it for any longer than about 10 minutes.

Not that I'm bored by it or anything, but my brain just feels really fatigued and sluggish. I'll just be reading some journal and find suddenly that I've skipped sentences or even misread bits of it o_0

I haven't felt mentally at my sharpest for a long time, I wonder if it's a lack of sleep regime or something that's doing it? Anyone got tips for really getting your brain in gear? :)

(As a side note, I find music is always helpful, almost any type as long as it's quite quiet and repetitive so it fades out after a while and sets up a rhythm. Right now even that isn't working though :( )

That's every time I have to do anything.
But sleeping properly really helps. Go to bed earlier. :club:

It's even harder while you are surrounded by cellphones, tablets and computers..

Get plenty of sleep; you mention that you work out afterward. See if you can focus right after you've worked out - try setting out time on a list to do so as well, then go somewhere and remove all distractions during the alotted time. So if you're in an empty room with what you need to do, your options are either to do it...or do nothing at all.

If its something passive like a journal reading, btw, try making it active. Jot down notes, write flash cards, turn it into an activity or it can just put you to sleep.

TheSolitaryMan said:
I'll just be reading some journal and find suddenly that I've skipped sentences or even misread bits of it o_0

I am going to say 'me too' - considering when I first glanced at the title of this thread, I swear it said, 'Contraception'.... :S

IgnoredOne said:
Get plenty of sleep; you mention that you work out afterward. See if you can focus right after you've worked out - try setting out time on a list to do so as well, then go somewhere and remove all distractions during the alotted time. So if you're in an empty room with what you need to do, your options are either to do it...or do nothing at all.

If its something passive like a journal reading, btw, try making it active. Jot down notes, write flash cards, turn it into an activity or it can just put you to sleep.

Thanks IO, those sound like great ways to improve my perception a little :)

I've been getting to bed at about 11:30 most nights this week, then it takes me about 30-40 minutes to actually fall asleep. Seem to keep waking up early as well, so I think this must be the reason.

It's stupid because I have no concrete reason for staying up like that either. Can't actually remember when I last woke up feeling properly refreshed, which is a bit worrying! :rolleyes:

MissGuided said:
I am going to say 'me too' - considering when I first glanced at the title of this thread, I swear it said, 'Contraception'.... :S

Lol :D

It's quite unlikely that I'll ever require advice on contraception, I'm really not that kind of guy :p

TheSolitaryMan said:
Thanks IO, those sound like great ways to improve my perception a little :)

I've been getting to bed at about 11:30 most nights this week, then it takes me about 30-40 minutes to actually fall asleep. Seem to keep waking up early as well, so I think this must be the reason.

It's stupid because I have no concrete reason for staying up like that either. Can't actually remember when I last woke up feeling properly refreshed, which is a bit worrying! :rolleyes:

Just make it a schedule and really, our minds respond well to training. So if you wake up and have a structure to go running, shower, breakfast and then work on xyz, you can pretty easily make yourself adhere to it. Just make sure that you have specific time set away for 'planning' so instead of being distracted by the thought of "should I do x or y?", you have already given yourself a structure tat you must follow and can only reevaluate later in the day.

IgnoredOne said:
Just make it a schedule and really, our minds respond well to training. So if you wake up and have a structure to go running, shower, breakfast and then work on xyz, you can pretty easily make yourself adhere to it. Just make sure that you have specific time set away for 'planning' so instead of being distracted by the thought of "should I do x or y?", you have already given yourself a structure tat you must follow and can only reevaluate later in the day.

You know, I actually would have got some restful sleep last night if it hadn't have been for the dog deciding to inexplicably wake me up at 2, 3 and 5 am consecutively. /Zombiemode :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice though, I've given myself more of an organised time schedule for my "free hours" that will hopefully set up a more productive regime, assuming no further canine interference! :)

**** animals and their cuteness that keeps us from pitching them over the fence.

Do you have a door to keep the dog out at night? I do that with the cats.

IgnoredOne said:
**** animals and their cuteness that keeps us from pitching them over the fence.

Do you have a door to keep the dog out at night? I do that with the cats.

Oh man, I couldn't do that - she does her cute face and it pretty much immediately incapacitates my will to gain precious hours of rest. The result is she's now pretty much on my bed or around the room somewhere most of the time... :shy:

TheSolitaryMan said:
Oh man, I couldn't do that - she does her cute face and it pretty much immediately incapacitates my will to gain precious hours of rest. The result is she's now pretty much on my bed or around the room somewhere most of the time... :shy:

Well, you can make a doggy bed for her outside and lock her out of the bedroom. She'l have somewhere comfy, and you will have your own place.

Failing that, try sectioning off part of the room(or maybe a closet) and make it your private place where the animal can't get to you.

Latest posts

Back