Coping with Loneliness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biotitan

Reaction score
Have you ever felt lonely?

The telephone rang. “Hello. This is your listener,” answered a seventy-one-year-old retired schoolteacher. The woman at the other end explained: “I’m a widow living in this house alone. I was so lonesome tonight I had to talk to someone.” This woman had called a special telephone service entitled “Dial-a-Listener.”

Loneliness has become such a severe problem today that Swiss psychiatrist Dr. Paul Tournier called it “the most devastating malady of the age.” Young and old alike suffer from loneliness, and the effects of it can truly be devastating. Loneliness can slow down recovery from illness, hasten senile mental deterioration in elderly people and even bring about untimely death in some cases.

What can be done to cure loneliness? One thing is to realize that too much time spent alone can cause a person to withdraw into himself, becoming self-centered. (Prov. 18:1) Make it a habit to enjoy regular association with others. But just being among people will not cure loneliness. Some of the loneliest individuals in the world live in crowded cities.

Loneliness can also be cured only by developing a relationship with others. How can a person accomplish that? The answer comes from a book written many years ago, the bible.

The Word of God contains a fine principle at Philippians 2:3, 4: “Always consider the other person to be better than yourself, so that nobody thinks of his own interests first but everybody thinks of other people’s interests instead.”—The Jerusalem Bible.

When a person becomes lovingly interested in others, some are sure to reciprocate. Jesus assured: “With the measure that you are measuring out, they will measure out to you in return.” (Luke 6:38) This means that the lonely person must take the initiative to do things for others. Would not a visit to some other lonely person lift his spirits and yours too? What better way to chase loneliness away from yourself than to do so for someone else?

The worship of God who's name is Jehovah is the surest way to cure loneliness. No matter how uncomfortable circumstances may become, God’s servants are never alone. They know that “Jehovah is near to those that are broken at heart.” (Ps. 34:18) Because Jehovah is the “Hearer of prayer” the Scriptures extend to lonely ones the invitation to “throw all your anxiety upon him, because he cares for you.”—Ps. 65:2; 1 Pet. 5:7.

The lives of Jehovah’s witnesses include many things that help one to avert loneliness. They regularly communicate with Jehovah God in prayer, with one another at meetings, and spend much time in helping their neighbors to learn about God and his purposes. The united activity of Jehovah’s witnesses causes them to have deep interest in one another too. They agree with the observation of the apostle Paul about Christians: “We . . . are one body . . . , members belonging individually to one another.” (Rom. 12:5) A woman from South Carolina tells of her first visit to a Kingdom Hall:

“I can remember the first meeting I attended and how the love of these Christian witnesses radiated throughout the congregation. After the meeting they would stand around and discuss what we had just heard and other Bible truths. . . . For the first time in my life I have peace of mind and a close relationship with my Creator.”

Yes, loneliness can be cured. But to do so one must take the initiative to develop a relationship with others, especially with Jehovah God. Would you like to do this? Jehovah’s witnesses will be glad to help you. You are cordially invited to attend meetings at their Kingdom Hall. If you wish, a qualified person will conduct a free Bible study with you at your home or at any other convenient location. For more information visit *No religion spam*
Have a great day :)

You ******* kidding me?

Jehovah's Witnesses, plugging their cult ONLINE???

Wow... just... wow.

SPAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMM.

Latest posts

Back