Creating mental states of saddness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stride

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone else on here does this.

It's like taking a girl you have a crush on and envisioning marrying her; having children. Then imagining something horrific happening to them like they both die in a car crash or something similar. I always imagine myself rushing in to the hospital, listening to the doctor tell me there was nothing they could do to save them. I imagine how I would react to such news. It varies between breaking down mentally on the floor, becoming so angered that I punch through the wall, etc.

I've tried to analyze why it is I do this to myself. I bring myself to tears over thinking about what would be the most emotionally stressful situation I could ever be in. Perhaps because I've been suppressing my emotions since childhood, maybe because I've never really experienced any true loss. Maybe I just spend too much time in my head. :p

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else there has put themselves through such trauma mentally...maybe just to feel something?

OMG...I thought I was just some sort of crazy person. I have done this...not the same scenario, but I have done the mental trauma thing.

I don't know why I've done it. Maybe it's like you said, and its some sort of way of releasing repressed emotions.

Hmm.. very interesting.

Very cool! No one I've ever talked to IRL has told me they experience this. I do it a lot...usually unprovoked, but just sitting/laying there lost in my own thoughts. The more I think about it the more I believe it is suppressed emotion attempting to manifest itself in our thoughts.

Awesome.

I, also, haven't met anyone irl that has either. Of course, I wouldn't really ask someone, as it seems like an odd thing to do. But yeah, I agree I think it has something to do with emotions trying to break free.

I do that too! I hate it, sometimes it just comes on for no reason at all. I'll start having those horrible thoughts like what if my mom was in a terrible car accident (she does a lot of driving).

@ThatOneGirl - Well, I meant people who were close to me like friends and family. I've never been shy about telling people what goes on in my head. :p

@Sci-Fi -As I look back on it, I've been doing it since I was a kid (8 - 10 years old). I'd imagine my parent's dying and how I would react/how I would survive without them.

It seems like a cruel thing to do to yourself, but honestly I feel better afterword having expressed those feelings outwardly, even if only to my self.

Well more power to you then. I'm pretty sure if I told some of my close friends and family, they would think something was wrong with me, and have me committed. :p

That's one of the harsh tragedies of life, isn't it? You talk to someone about an emotion that they don't understand and they think there's something wrong with you. I try to live as honestly as I can. That doesn't mean that I don't opt to leave out certain information or turn off my filter, but it means that if someone asks why I think a certain way, then I will tell them honestly. I don't think it does anyone any good to subjugate their real feelings in fear of how others will react.

Just my opinion anyway. :D

Stride said:
That's one of the harsh tragedies of life, isn't it? You talk to someone about an emotion that they don't understand and they think there's something wrong with you.

Indeed. It is tragic. Your way of going about things sounds way better than worrying like I do. : /

I didn't mean to imply that I don't worry, either. I always feel self-conscious about telling people personal stuff like that, but I just think it's better to get over it and be honest. I've had friends that thought what I was saying was interesting and wanted me to elaborate, and others that just dismissed the feelings as odd and we don't ever go past a superficial level. It sucks, but it seems the way of the world.

I'm always open to listening to other people and how they've reached that specific point in their life's. It's hard to find anything more fascinating. :)

Stride said:
I'm always open to listening to other people and how they've reached that specific point in their life's. It's hard to find anything more fascinating. :)

I agree, it is very fascinating! I wish I could feel more comfortable with the people around me to discus things like that. It's cool that you don't mind being honest about your thoughts and feelings. I wish I would do the same.

Well yeah..you can create that mental state of being sad....
The good news is...if you have to power to create sadness. You have the power to create happiness.
The power to create. You are free to create wahtever you like or want.

1 youre gonna die.
2 you gatta live until you die
3 everything else in between are all options....

such as your beliefs, relgion, creating sadness, morals codes, values, creating happiness, feeling lonely, feeling happy
living alone, being single, dating one person, wating for a lover or ******* the living honeysuckle out whomever you wanna fresia.
Whatever your creation is. it's just life man...live it until you die. experince it anyway you wanna experince it.
Write your own script

Sometimes theres things beyound your cotrol..the fucken sun dosnt shine every day.
Your not alway going to feel good or feel bad all the time. Take the goods with the bads I guess.
Things arnt alway are ganna go your way..things will go your way.
Dont take it so **** personal....when it rains..the fucken rain get on everyone else too.
It's not going to rain all the fucken time...so get out in the sun when those moments arrive.
fresia it...you can even play, sing and dance in the rain too...kind da making lemmon aid out of a lemmon

I do this quite a lot and for a long time. I don't how when it started but I always imagined bad stuff happening to me or someone I love. Maybe I'm preparing myself for a tragedy IDK.

In my case, I really think it's just a process of emulating the experience because I haven't yet been so romantically linked with someone that I know if I had lost them I would mentally break down. You have a good point where it may just be fear manifesting itself and the process is just a form of conditioning the mind goes through. It's interesting to think about and I hope to gain some perspective in some of my college Psychology courses this quarter. :)

I love rain. For me, it brings the sense of renewal, of life and of hope - tears of God, perhaps, but more directly, the increased vigor of plants as they cleanse the air even as the liquid cleanses the ground.

Latest posts

Back