Critical analysis of religous belief

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree Skorian - religion does stunt learning potential. When belief is held so strongly, it tends to lead to closed-mindedness and ignorance. And there is no realisation from the religious that there might be things that they're missing - they are either ignorant of their ignorance, or they choose to be ignorant, not wanting their beliefs challenged.

This kind of blindness just would not wash in the secular world. Academics are forever questioning their theories and interpretations as well as those of others. They have no need to put their fingers in their ears because other opinions are welcomed and encouraged. It's a dynamic, fluid, vibrant, liberating and, above all, free process! There is no guilt, fear or coercion here.

I know the kind of life i would rather have!

The problem is that taxing the brain requires effort and hard work - it is difficult and challenging. And I would not call studying the Bible or the Koran particularly challenging, especially if that is all a person does. Religion is a relatively easy life for people who can't be bothered to think critically.

Indigo Is Blue said:
I agree Skorian - religion does stunt learning potential. When belief is held so strongly, it tends to lead to close-mindedness and ignorance. And there is no realisation from the religious that there might be things that they're missing - they are either ignorant of their ignorance, or they choose to be ignorant, not wanting their beliefs challenged.

This kind of blindness just would not wash in the secular world. Academics are forever questioning their theories and interpretations as well as those of others. They have no need to put their fingers in their ears because other opinions are welcomed and encouraged. It's a dynamic, fluid, vibrant, liberating and, above all, free process! There is no guilt, fear or coercion here.

I know the kind of life i would rather have!

The problem is that taxing the brain requires effort and hard work - it is difficult and challenging. And I would not call studying the Bible or the Koran particularly challenging, especially if that is all a person does. Religion is a relatively easy life for people who can't be bothered to think critically.

Amen

I bet that started out as aaah man

Lol i guess i got a bit serious there. But it's very important.

I think our countries' education systems need serious overhaul - this is where all the problems start. For one thing i would ban all religion from schools, except for comparative teaching of all faiths - so that would include religious history, music and philosophy and so on.

And i would go further - a more extreme measure perhaps - but i would ban all religious symbols from schools too, like the French do.

Indigo Is Blue said:
Lol i guess i got a bit serious there. But it's very important.

I think our countries' education systems need serious overhaul - this is where all the problems start. For one thing i would ban all religion from schools, except for comparative teaching of all faiths - so that would include religious history, music and philosophy and so on.

And i would go further - a more extreme measure perhaps - but i would ban all religious symbols from schools too, like the French do.

How about just ban saying the word GOD ever.... Like make it a word like BOMB that the spy software that runs over phones pick up. So people say GOD the CIA comes and beats them up.

Well

I wouldn't stop religious history, as long as it can be proven as fact I have no problem with that or even mythology. History is important.

Well that would be nice wouldn't it? If no one mentions God because they don't believe in one.

Lol yeah say GOD and get punished haha.

Yeah all facets of education should be included. But education based on religious doctrine is not sensible - seeing as it can be completely disproven in most cases.

Latest posts

Back