Crying Over Someone You've Never Met?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneKiller

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. How's it goin'?.:)

I can understand crying over a family member or dear friend, but someone you haven't ever met? What I mean is, when that poor boy a while back committed suicide due to being bullied incessantly. I just lost it.

Who would think that someone would cry over someone they don't know. I once saw a commercial with respect to animal abuse, and the tears just started falling.

What made me really sad was that video I posted with Steve Irwin crying over Mary, his pet crocodile. That poor soul. I often find myself caring about others more than myself. I consider myself to be a compassionate person, but to the point of tears? Does this happen to you?

God Bless,
LoneKiller

yeah dis happend to me...
its a guy who was my facebook friend...we never met in person but i cried for him when i got to know that he has a major heart problem since childhood...
i used to cheer him up and prayed for him...now he is alright after the operation...and i guess he dont me anymore...
avoids my call and dnt reply my messages...:(
now my heart weeps everytime i think about him...:(:(
he was my very dear friend...wish he could come back....

What you're describing is EMPATHY. The ability to feel the same as others feel, even if you are not directly connected to the incident causing the feeling. It's completely normal and a very human ability.

Yeah what BDJ said, it's just too bad it's a lost human ability in most people anymore.

Yep, it's good you feel like that really, shows you care about others :)

I tend to get it to a silly degree - like when watching movies. Last time I watched Saving Private Ryan I was borderline crying on three seperate occasions. Such a sissy! :rolleyes:

I find most of the time though, I tend to just feel disgust or anger. When I read about someone neglecting their child or committing a callous murder or something, moreso than the sadness :\

Though some things really do get me upset too. Meh.

SophiaGrace said:
I have cried over a few posts on here...
That's very understandable. It makes me feel better to know that this forum offers great support. A helluva lot cheaper than a psychiatrist that would charge you $300 an hour for advice that you can get online for free. A great deal of you guys have been on this forum together and know things about each other that no psychiatrist cares about. I hold the advice here in much a higher regard than any shrink.

I've cried over people I've never met and don't know before.
But when relatives -like my half sister or my uncle- have died, I haven't really reacted at all.

LoneKiller said:
SophiaGrace said:
That's very understandable. It makes me feel better to know that this forum offers great support. A helluva lot cheaper than a psychiatrist that would charge you $300 an hour for advice that you can get online for free. A great deal of you guys have been on this forum together and know things about each other that no psychiatrist cares about. I hold the advice here in much a higher regard than any shrink.

I am in school to become a shrink. :)

I hope I can help people.

SophiaGrace said:
LoneKiller said:
SophiaGrace said:

I am in school to become a shrink. :)

I hope I can help people.
Did I say "Shrink"? I meant those professionals who help others a great deal and should be respected.:D

Although I am somewhat dim when it comes to most human emotions, empathy is still one I thankfully possess. Always get bummed when someone abuses animals, for instance. And wish there was something I could do about all the bloody manmade horrors going on in the world on a daily basis, but I am but one speck of dust, says my defeatist mindset, and I just play pretend that none of those things matter to me on a personal level. Don't often cry on the misery of others, 'tho, I find it hard to cry most of the time, anyway.

Usually have to get that stuff out of my system by making myself cry, oddly enough.

Latest posts

Back