Cutting

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont believe you can seriously trade mental pain for physical pain. Cutting is for the week minded. man up and face your problems and make the most of it, theres no piont crying over spilt milk.

Instead, maybe you should look into your attitude and change the way you think, i cant see how anything can be so bad that you need to bleed it out. even if it does "numb" you, which i highly doubt, its only for a short time and afterwords will make u feel worse, have these scars that show how much of a failure you are, and destroy your self esteem.

Watch a movie or something, there is so many things you can do to take your mind of something, and if it doesnt, change your attitude, get over it, your only making life harder for yourself.

Your life is only as honeysuckle as you make it out to be. if you say, oh my life is so honeysuckle, then you will live a honeysuckle life.

In my mind its all an attention thing, if they have no way of speaking out then they use there scars to talk for them.

Porman said:
I dont believe you can seriously trade mental pain for physical pain. Cutting is for the week minded. man up and face your problems and make the most of it, theres no piont crying over spilt milk.

Instead, maybe you should look into your attitude and change the way you think, i cant see how anything can be so bad that you need to bleed it out. even if it does "numb" you, which i highly doubt, its only for a short time and afterwords will make u feel worse, have these scars that show how much of a failure you are, and destroy your self esteem.

Watch a movie or something, there is so many things you can do to take your mind of something, and if it doesnt, change your attitude, get over it, your only making life harder for yourself.

Your life is only as honeysuckle as you make it out to be. if you say, oh my life is so honeysuckle, then you will live a honeysuckle life.

In my mind its all an attention thing, if they have no way of speaking out then they use there scars to talk for them.

Ok, say a person did change their thoughts. Say they didn't let themself think these things. Tell me, because I'm just dying to know. How can you decide what you dream of? Tell me. How do you change your subconscious? I'd love to know. Does ignoring a chemical imballance in your brain really make it go away?

Please don't give advice to people who fully understand a topic when you don't know jack about it.

Well I did agree with him about the attitude. I mean to conquer anything in life its all about how you approach something. I did not agree about it making you week minded though.

I must be doing something wrong then.
I don't hurt myself anymore.
But I was happier when I did.
It's ok though. I'm stupid, which is the same thing as being weak minded.

Qui said:

If your not doing it any longer then your doing the right thing.

Qui, I am here to tell you that your about as far away from stupid as any one could get.

I sometimes think I was happier when I was smoking. There was a reason I stopped the cigarettes as there was a reason that you stopped the cutting. Cos you and me both know that we never got anything out of it now. Don't we? There can be no good come out of ether of this things.

Sometimes I wish I was really stupid. only because if you look at really stupid ppl there normally happy with it lol To stupid to see that there not having anything like GF/BF car home act should be making them unhappy. Or maybe there the bright ones that just don't give a flying fresia about anything??? Who knows huh.

Qui said:
Ok, say a person did change their thoughts. Say they didn't let themself think these things. Tell me, because I'm just dying to know. How can you decide what you dream of? Tell me. How do you change your subconscious? I'd love to know. Does ignoring a chemical imballance in your brain really make it go away?

Please don't give advice to people who fully understand a topic when you don't know jack about it.

Ok, i think you have misunderstood me. Im talking about people that sit at home and say, my life is so crap, i am doomed to have a bad life, live alone and never be happy. Those people need to stop thinking like that and think of the all the positive things in life.

Im not talking about ignoring anything. Say when you brake up with a partner, you dont forget that, and you shouldnt, but you shouldnt cry about it and let it control your life. You need to learn from it, and move on with your life.

When i talk about attitude, i mean what you do with your life. 2 people can have the exact same problem, yet they can take it different ways. guy number 1 sits in his room cutting himself and crys himself to sleep, while guy number 2 gets out there and makes the most of the situation and enjoys life for what it is.

Please, I wasnt trying to agrovate anyone, but to deal the cold hard truth, and most people dont like it hear it.

If you think negatively and you dwel on all the bad things in life, then ofcoarse its going to ride on your subconscious, and therefor appear in your dreams.

I would like to know what it actually takes for someone to cut themself, to feel life isnt worth living. People that think this have a disorder. Im sure plenty of people in 3rd world countries would kill for the chance to live your life, where food is easy to access, fresh water is everywhere, opertunity to work, medical care, everything. these people struggle just to survive, if they saw you wanting to die because you have no friends and your lonely they would think its a joke.

So tell me now that the way you think has nothing to do with depression and self harming thoughts.

Oh and how can you say i know jack about it? i knew people that did it, i know what its like to feel at your absolute low, just because i choose to punch a pag or walk it off instead of self loathing and cutting doesnt mean i know nothing about it.

Qui said:

maybe you liked the attention and sympathy it brang? just a thought dont attack me lol

Porman said:
Qui said:

maybe you liked the attention and sympathy it brang? just a thought dont attack me lol

No one ever knew I did that.
Well, my mom found out about a year after I stopped and I was grounded for a while. Which is hilarious because I wasn't allowed to hang out with people and had to stay alone in my room for a few weeks. I hope I'm not the only one to see the gap in that logic, lol.

Porman said:
I would like to know what it actually takes for someone to cut themself, to feel life isnt worth living. People that think this have a disorder. Im sure plenty of people in 3rd world countries would kill for the chance to live your life, where food is easy to access, fresh water is everywhere, opertunity to work, medical care, everything. these people struggle just to survive, if they saw you wanting to die because you have no friends and your lonely they would think its a joke.

So tell me now that the way you think has nothing to do with depression and self harming thoughts.

I've got friends. I've got a basically perfect life. The only thing I could really complain about would be verbal abuse, but that's my fault for being a teen that actually listens when my parents talk to me.
I guess from what you and other people are saying that the truth is that I'm just stupid.
Because none of the things you've said were ever a reason for me to dislike myself. I don't have any disorder. I'm not very smart, but no disorders. I've got a perfect life. As far as that goes, I could never ask for more. I love my life.
But I don't deserve it.
I'm not going to explain my reasoning or thoughts pertaining to my feelings for myself or subsequent self injury. Obviously from what you've said, I'm wrong in what I've done. I know it's wrong. I know I'm a bad person for having done it, I knew that back when I did it too. I'm disgusting. That's fine. That's what I am. I don't deserve any of the stuff I have. I deserve to hurt. And I do, so that's fine too. It's ok, really.
I guess I'm just too dumb to follow the conventions of self injury.

You shouldnt call yourself dumb, I really doubt you are. What makes you feel like you deserve less then you have? You dont sound like a bad person. Everyone deserves to be happy, except child abuses and such, but i dont think your one of those :p

I dont know maybe its a girl thing :S

anyway im sorry qui, i feel like iv been rude, i dont mean to be its just the way it comes out when i type things instead of speaking it out. take care.

Porman said:
You shouldnt call yourself dumb, I really doubt you are. What makes you feel like you deserve less then you have? You dont sound like a bad person. Everyone deserves to be happy, except child abuses and such, but i dont think your one of those :p

I dont know maybe its a girl thing :S

anyway im sorry qui, i feel like iv been rude, i dont mean to be its just the way it comes out when i type things instead of speaking it out. take care.

No, you aren't being rude. It's ok, I was pretty rude saying you didn't know what you were talking about. You're completely right, I'm sorry.

liposuctionlol said:
i find it helps even though it isn't good for you

I find that people who have never done it are the only ones that say it doesn't help.
I find this annoying.
And some forms of self injury don't cause lasting damage or scars or anything.

Qui said:
liposuctionlol said:
i find it helps even though it isn't good for you

I find that people who have never done it are the only ones that say it doesn't help.
I find this annoying.
i've noticed that also
the only people who insult others on cutting or ask why do they do it
are the only ones who haven't done it

It may make the both of you feel better for the short term. But really is it the sort of thing you would like to continue with?

And what if someone you loved was doing it? I doubt that you would be saying it dose help so its OK to them.

OK I ask the both of you two (Qui & liposuctionlol) If I was cutting and was asking for help. What would your advice be to help me to stop? I would say since you both are better placed to answer this then my self your advice would be better :)

qui said:
I find this annoying.

The way you're describing it, it doesn't sound any different from a controlled substance. I did it because I was using *my* anger to hurt *myself* and maybe I just liked the sight of my own blood.

I don't think I did it for the same reason as either of you and I don't think it helped me in the same way either. What I do know that it is still an irrational act of hysteria and it's reflection of my own weakness and inability to handle a situation. People who think it's an unecessary and and a waste of good blood, are exactly right. "violence is the last resort of incompetence" is what they say, and I don't think that's any less true in the case of self inflicted violence.

Bluey said:
It may make the both of you feel better for the short term. But really is it the sort of thing you would like to continue with?

And what if someone you loved was doing it? I doubt that you would be saying it dose help so its OK to them.

OK I ask the both of you two (Qui & liposuctionlol) If I was cutting and was asking for help. What would your advice be to help me to stop? I would say since you both are better placed to answer this then my self your advice would be better :)

No, it's not something that should be ongoing. It's a short term solution for a person at weak point in their life.
It's true, cutting is admitting you're weak. It's against human nature to admit you're weak, which is part of why cutting is so taboo. But isn't it also admitting you're weak to say you have dyslexia, or that you're unhappy, or even that you're just lonely? I'm not afraid to admit any of that, it's all true for me. Loads of stuff like that, it's all a weakness. Depression. Anxiety. They all have names, but what about when you don't have a name for it? What about when you go through all the things in your life to find something to blame and all that's left is just you, you're weak and in pain and so terribly depressed all the time and all that's there to blame it on is yourself. That's the situation that a lot of people find themselves in when they start to hurt themselves. In whatever way, they're weak, and there's nothing else to blame. So they take it out on themselves.
So, for that phase of one's life, self injury is a temporary fix. It can go either way from there; you can get stronger, or you can get weaker. You can stop hurting yourself, or you can kill yourself. Or I suppose you could just keep doing it, if you're incapable of learning or moving forward with your life. Which happens. It's alright.
And about having someone you love hurt themselves, my best friend from preschool through about freshman year in high school cut herself. Badly. She was hospitalized a few times I believe. She almost died. Her left arm is striped like a zebra from her shoulder to her wrist. I'm probably underexagerating this, actually, because it was just awful. I saw her cut herself. I saw it happen, and it hurt me as much to see that as it hurt her to do it. But I didn't stop her. I gave her a couple of Band-Aids and a tissue, gave her a hug, and just sat with her for a while. Maybe I did the wrong thing. Maybe there's a million better things I could have done. But that's what I did, and she thanked me for it later, for understanding. That's what I think it takes, understanding. Freaking out makes it worse. That adds guilt, and guilt is bad. I think that all you can do to help is try to understand, and make sure they know you care about how they feel.
If a person is hurting themself and wants to stop, they can do it. If someone doesn't want to stop and is forced to, they'll keep hurting themself, even if it isn't physically. With that said, if you hurt yourself and want to stop, you can find something healthier to do instead, i.e. walking to the store to binge on just food. If you cut, take all your razor blades and throw them away. Or stash them in a hard to get to location so you can have the comfort of knowing they're there if you need them but aren't in a convenient location, like the magnet strip on my bedpost where I used to stick them. Don't be harsh with yourself about it, harshness leads to feelings of weakness or patheticness if you can't just stop, and feeling weak, pathetic, bad, whatever is what makes a lot of people hurt themselves in the first place.
Be nice about it, don't punish yourself or anyone else for feeling bad, that just sparks more bad feelings.
I'm not sure what else to say, except that people who hurt themselves are often just punishing themselves for some weakness they see in themselves, and the two cruelest thing you can do to a person who feels weak is to kick them for being weak, and to force them to clean up and act like they're happy. You might think that you're right for doing that, for forcing someone to stop or for ridiculing them for acting "stupid" or "weak", but it doesn't help. That all just makes it worse for them. So maybe the physical injury stops, but the problem is there, and it's likely just gotten worse due to your "intervention". So just be nice, ok? Everyone's weak. It happens. It just manifests itself in different ways.

So whatever, that's my two cents on the issue. Or, maybe like two dollars. Whatever. Take it as you will, but that's my oppinion only so I don't expect anyone to agree with it all or maybe any of it.

Qui said:
Bluey said:

No, it's not something that should be ongoing. It's a short term solution for a person at weak point in their life.
It's true, cutting is admitting you're weak. It's against human nature to admit you're weak, which is part of why cutting is so taboo. But isn't it also admitting you're weak to say you have dyslexia, or that you're unhappy, or even that you're just lonely? I'm not afraid to admit any of that, it's all true for me. Loads of stuff like that, it's all a weakness. Depression. Anxiety. They all have names, but what about when you don't have a name for it? What about when you go through all the things in your life to find something to blame and all that's left is just you, you're weak and in pain and so terribly depressed all the time and all that's there to blame it on is yourself. That's the situation that a lot of people find themselves in when they start to hurt themselves. In whatever way, they're weak, and there's nothing else to blame. So they take it out on themselves.
So, for that phase of one's life, self injury is a temporary fix. It can go either way from there; you can get stronger, or you can get weaker. You can stop hurting yourself, or you can kill yourself. Or I suppose you could just keep doing it, if you're incapable of learning or moving forward with your life. Which happens. It's alright.
And about having someone you love hurt themselves, my best friend from preschool through about freshman year in high school cut herself. Badly. She was hospitalized a few times I believe. She almost died. Her left arm is striped like a zebra from her shoulder to her wrist. I'm probably underexagerating this, actually, because it was just awful. I saw her cut herself. I saw it happen, and it hurt me as much to see that as it hurt her to do it. But I didn't stop her. I gave her a couple of Band-Aids and a tissue, gave her a hug, and just sat with her for a while. Maybe I did the wrong thing. Maybe there's a million better things I could have done. But that's what I did, and she thanked me for it later, for understanding. That's what I think it takes, understanding. Freaking out makes it worse. That adds guilt, and guilt is bad. I think that all you can do to help is try to understand, and make sure they know you care about how they feel.
If a person is hurting themself and wants to stop, they can do it. If someone doesn't want to stop and is forced to, they'll keep hurting themself, even if it isn't physically. With that said, if you hurt yourself and want to stop, you can find something healthier to do instead, i.e. walking to the store to binge on just food. If you cut, take all your razor blades and throw them away. Or stash them in a hard to get to location so you can have the comfort of knowing they're there if you need them but aren't in a convenient location, like the magnet strip on my bedpost where I used to stick them. Don't be harsh with yourself about it, harshness leads to feelings of weakness or patheticness if you can't just stop, and feeling weak, pathetic, bad, whatever is what makes a lot of people hurt themselves in the first place.
Be nice about it, don't punish yourself or anyone else for feeling bad, that just sparks more bad feelings.
I'm not sure what else to say, except that people who hurt themselves are often just punishing themselves for some weakness they see in themselves, and the two cruelest thing you can do to a person who feels weak is to kick them for being weak, and to force them to clean up and act like they're happy. You might think that you're right for doing that, for forcing someone to stop or for ridiculing them for acting "stupid" or "weak", but it doesn't help. That all just makes it worse for them. So maybe the physical injury stops, but the problem is there, and it's likely just gotten worse due to your "intervention". So just be nice, ok? Everyone's weak. It happens. It just manifests itself in different ways.

So whatever, that's my two cents on the issue. Or, maybe like two dollars. Whatever. Take it as you will, but that's my oppinion only so I don't expect anyone to agree with it all or maybe any of it.

You know, that's real sad. And I don't mean as in like, pathetic sad, but like...you know, it just makes me sad to read that. I've never really been exposed to people cutting themselves before, and the way you explained it kinda...highlights an issue I wouldn't have otherwise known about (or understood). The way you've gone about explaining "why" people do it is a big eye opener...I hope people take your advice and just...try to understand.

Qui said:
Bluey said:

well said. good job.

Qui said:
Bluey said:

Wow Qui, that was very informative and extremely well written.

I was going to reply in sections but I started and realized that I could not add any moor to that then you already have. So I have scrubbed all that and here I am replying in this way. Clueless to what to say acutely but feel it deserves a reply.

Well, I do think everything you say makes great sense. With the one expectation, and that is I do not agree that it makes you weak. I think this is moor how you look at your self then what the cutting makes you. Would you really say that ever person who cuts is weak?

The bit how you dealt with your friend that was doing it, That was amazing how your dealt with that. You should be very proud of your self. If I was ever doing that you are exactly what friend I would wont there helping me.

I have nothing to add to that.... I agree with it all.. You have put everything there better then anything I see here. You are right in everything you say, you are amazing.

EveWasFramed said:
You might think it's no big deal now, but later, you might wish you hadn't done it. What if you tattooed Sarah's name on your butt cheek and then later, you ended up proposing to Kristy? How do you explain Sarah's name on your ass? :p

Umm....That...means I'm screwed...
( ^__^);;*sweat*

You see, I...started hurting myself when I was in college. Whenever I get depressed, I'd pinched myself, so hard until it bleeds. Then I began hurting my arm using a stapler(ouch!). Then not long ago, I picked up a razor and I wrote a girl's name. My..crush...- My...unrequited love...

So,anyway now I carry a girl's name on my arm and the scars don't seem to disappear.. ( ^__^);; *sigh* whatever, I just hope my future wife's name is Amy. Hehe, Eve is right, if you want to cut, never ever write a name.

Latest posts

Back