Dark Souls anyone?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob Arctor said:
Jocsaint said:
I've tried playing Dark Souls on PC because everyone was saying how difficult it is. I didn't get far with it, you can't change graphic settings and my computer can't handle anything full blast. Never got to playing it more than a few minutes. I think I died like 3 times on the first part, where you have to fight this giant thing that falls from the ceiling. Mix the difficulty with the lag, and I have a nice rage quit sandwich.

Well that sucks about the lag, though you're not really supposed to fight that demon right as it drops down from the ceiling. As you enter that room there's a door on your left on the far end of the room that you can run to before the demon even has a chance to attack you. From there you pick up your starting class weapon and shield (the broken sword is basically useless) and then come to a fog gate positioned above the demon. You can then do a two-handed plunging attack which, depending what starting weapon you have, will take off about 1/3 to 1/2 of the demon's health. After that it's mostly a matter of staying behind the thing and making quick jabs at it while keeping enough stamina dodge its attacks. I can understand why graphics issues would make you not want to play though.

Really? I don't recall getting any type of prompts about that or anything. **** game.

Jocsaint said:
Really? I don't recall getting any type of prompts about that or anything. **** game.

Well that's exactly why a lot of people like this game. It doesn't hold your hand and tell you where to go or what to do. It's about trial and error and exploring every inch of the environment. Each boss is like a puzzle requiring cunning, attention to detail and skill to overcome. Sometimes in the sense of where to go or stand, sometimes in the sense of figuring out their move set and the correct dodge/attack timing. Sometimes if you're strong enough already you can just tank through enemies, but 90% of it is brain over brawn.

I think there might be a hint in the form of one of those orange messages on the ground about going left or something at the Asylum Demon, but I can't remember now. There are quite of lot of those hint messages in that stage, and all of them are useful information for a new player. After Undead Asylum though you're pretty much on your own, unless you're playing online where other players will drop messages. The online messages range from helpful, to confusing, to useless, to downright trolling. If you're ever feeling fed up though, there's always walkthroughs on youtube and a copious amount of information on the wikis.

I hope you don't let this first experience discourage you completely though. Maybe someday if you upgrade your pc or decide to spring for a console you'll come back to it. It really is an incredibly rewarding game, and the scale to which you can upgrade your weapons and stats, as well as develop your skills can lead to it becoming exponentially easier, to the point where you might even want to try limiting yourself to make it challenging again.

Bob Arctor said:
Jocsaint said:

Well that's exactly why a lot of people like this game. It doesn't hold your hand and tell you where to go or what to do. It's about trial and error and exploring every inch of the environment. Each boss is like a puzzle requiring cunning, attention to detail and skill to overcome. Sometimes in the sense of where to go or stand, sometimes in the sense of figuring out their move set and the correct dodge/attack timing. Sometimes if you're strong enough already you can just tank through enemies, but 90% of it is brain over brawn.

I think there might be a hint in the form of one of those orange messages on the ground about going left or something at the Asylum Demon, but I can't remember now. There are quite of lot of those hint messages in that stage, and all of them are useful information for a new player. After Undead Asylum though you're pretty much on your own, unless you're playing online where other players will drop messages. The online messages range from helpful, to confusing, to useless, to downright trolling. If you're ever feeling fed up though, there's always walkthroughs on youtube and a copious amount of information on the wikis.

I hope you don't let this first experience discourage you completely though. Maybe someday if you upgrade your pc or decide to spring for a console you'll come back to it. It really is an incredibly rewarding game, and the scale to which you can upgrade your weapons and stats, as well as develop your skills can lead to it becoming exponentially easier, to the point where you might even want to try limiting yourself to make it challenging again.

I'm sure I'll buy it for my 360 some day. I usually give things a fair enough chance before I leave them in the dust. About the "no prompt" thing, I guess I'm just used to having my hand held with all of these modern games. I think I'm not the only one, either.

The thing is too, I'm not a real big fan of the whole medieval theme. Maces, and swords... I prefer a big gun and grenades.

z2ORn.gif

kirikaza said:
Wow... you really do love Dark Souls, lol. Nice job with the pre order! I want to pre order it too! Hopefully when I get settled in my new place we can play a bit! :)

Yes, prepare for mass pwnage. :D
chainsaw2.gif

^That would be cool. What system do you play on?

Nvm you play play DeS, of course you have a ps3, duh lol.

Bob Arctor said:
^That would be cool. What system do you play on?

Nvm you play play DeS, of course you have a ps3, duh lol.

I play dark souls on ps3 but for dark souls 2 im gonna play on pc.
****By the way if you havent played demons souls yet i highly recommend it.

Yeah I've played DeS, not nearly as much as DkS though. The pvp in DeS seems less broken if it weren't for healing items being more like divine blessings.

dark souls 2 gameplay,for anyone thats interested

I hope im allowed to post links?

^Yeah I've seen some of the network test videos but I don't want to see too much so my first playthrough will be as blind as possible. Tbh I wish I hadn't watched as much as I did; being surprised by that black phantom enemy would have been pretty amazing.

I got this game a while back during some Steam Sales. I've finally got a rig decent enough to play it but after hearing all these stories of how hard it is, I'm too scared :(

Latest posts

Back