Date tomorrow

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CAS said:
Just because you guys like to look through rose-tinted glasses, that doesn't mean I do.

However, I'll wish Brian the best of luck and hope he proves me wrong.

I'm glad you wished Brian luck CAS. The next time you wish someone luck, however, you may want to consider doing so without deliberately trying to drag down their self-esteem. It's not healthy for anyone, least of all you.

Food for thought.

Oh forget about it, GOOD LUCK MAN that's awesome Sauce =P

Spare said:
CAS said:
Just because you guys like to look through rose-tinted glasses, that doesn't mean I do.

I'm glad you wished Brian luck CAS. The next time you wish someone luck, however, you may want to consider doing so without deliberately trying to drag down their self-esteem. It's not healthy for anyone, least of all you.

Food for thought.

Well that's told big bad CAS. I wasn't trying to bring down his self esteem. I just didn't want to give him false hope. We're all social outcasts afterall.

CAS said:
Spare said:
CAS said:

Food for thought.

Well that's told big bad CAS. I wasn't trying to bring down his self esteem. I just didn't want to give him false hope. We're all social outcasts afterall.

Yes but if we always expect the worst then how are we supposed to get anywhere in life?

Expect the best and be disappointed. That's not me putting a downer on things, but me telling it like it is.

CAS said:
Expect the best and be disappointed.

This is a statement. Statements dont leave any room to be a view, they act as fact.

This is a cognitive distortion.

You're acting that everyone that expects things to turn out for the best are inevitably crushingly dissapointed, unhappy and miserable. Actually, from what I've seen, people who believe that things turn out for the best are often happier people. It has some connection to gratitude and enjoying life.

Danielle said:
Brian, don't listen to CAS.... I hope it goes great... let us know if you enjoyed yourself!

I do wish you the best of luck, Brian. I just wanted to make that clear. I hope it goes perfectly for you. I'm sure it will. :)

CAS, i think that was really nice of you to say that, and i do think Brian will appreciate it. :) come join us in chat if you'd like...

CAS, if you want to be negative, fine, but don't be like that for other people.

I'm back! Alive!

We didn't meet till late afternoon, so I spent an hour or so riding the trails at the state park nearby. It felt good to have the wind in my face again and be alone with the quiet ratchet of a freewheeling bike. I pretty much avoided thinking about the 'date' that was steadily drawing closer. It's hard to think about that stuff when you're trying not to eat honeysuckle in to the trees :p Which...I almost did, because they haven't done much trail maintenance lately, rofl.

(....I also confirmed that I am out of shape after 6 months of sitting on my arse, and need to do this more often)

This worked well because, to my surprise, I wasn't stressed AT ALL when I got to the coffee shop.

I didn't put any huge expectations on the event. We talked some and it went surprisingly well. She's a Biology student and I found out we have a couple of common interests...we talked about mythology a little bit. She's had a course in Greek mythology and has an interest in Celtic whereas I'm in to the old Norse sagas.

I think I might get to see this one again. I'm gonna email her and find out.

But here's the kicker: If I don't, I actually don't care. I'm not gonna get my feelings hurt. I think this means my exposure therapy is working. By repeatedly exposing myself to first dates, via craigslist or otherwise, it's been slowly getting easier. Easier to transition in to new topics and avoid awkward silence, easier to not sweat and tremble like a scared mouse.

It's also apparent to me now from this encounter and my last one that it is absolutely crucial to have a variety of activities and interests in one's life. They create a pool of topics and experiences and stories to draw from to break the ice, as well as a release for tension and anxiety that would otherwise build up and ruin us.

Thanks for the well-wishings (even yours, CAS :p Except since we are both social outcasts, now you have to admit that if I can be positive about this sort of thing, then you can too). I guess I don't have to be spread across Lake Couer d'Alene yet. But I accept your honorable offer of service, should the need arise, Spare. Bagpipes at my funeral please.

Cheers,
Brian

Well done, Brian! Glad to hear it!

In addition to the bagpipes, how would you feel about a tuba quartet?

Spare said:
Well done, Brian! Glad to hear it!

In addition to the bagpipes, how would you feel about a tuba quartet?

Absolutely, my friend. Make it swingin'!

Latest posts

Back