Dating advice books ?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Astral_Punisher

Reaction score
Just a question to the forum in general:

What are some of your favorite / recommended books to help someone date successfully?

I read Magic Bullets. However, it failed for me... Then again I am sure that paying women would fail for me. However, it works for others. So well in fact that Dateline challenged it and admitted it was a good product. I also know other guys that it has worked for.

@AFrozenSoul - Thanks, I'll definitely check that out.

@Lost Drifter - What is this 'game' you speak of?
I assure you that I'm not trolling - I've Google'd it and I can't find any 'dating game' help guide.

EDIT - Ah, I think I've found what you mean Lost Drifter - http://www.amazon.com/Game-Penetrating-Secret-Society-Artists/dp/0060554738.

Well, not looking for something quite that... 'involved'. But hey, I read fast, I'll check it out at least.
It'll give me something to read in-between the 3 financial textbooks I got from the library today.:p

Thank you both for your excellent suggestions. I'll let you know what I think of both of them.:D

Far from it, get away from the “game” this instant, it’s a mass of nonsense and gibberish that no-one should advocate. The mere thought of it makes me shudder at the notion.

In fact, while I don’t know any dating books per say, I’d strongly recommend avoiding anything with “game” written within.

Read "The Game".

It's a good start, plus is awesome from a purely literary point of view. You are gonna have a great time reading it.

Don't take everything as a fact tough... See what's best for you. It's good in the sense that it breaks some steriotypes like women not caring so much about sex and that stuff.

The dude tells you his experience, you try to get the best of it as you wolud with a friend that tells you how he got laid. This man got laid plenty of times, he must be doing something right :)

You might want to read some seduction forums. Although IMO a lot of them are filled with crap and marketing schemes, some aren't, and the basic things they teach are; look after yourself (eat healthy, get your ass to the gym), be confident, don't let other people push you around, be independent and how to be more social. Of course, I will add that the purpose of these forums is to get you laid, and not really about dating, or looking for love. And again, I will stress that a lot of them are filled with adivce that you can't really follow without a big change in your life, and advice that you may misinterpret.

@Felix
I'm reading 'The Game' right now
It is very 'entertaining', but I honestly don't think too much of it is 'hard', 'useful' knowledge or technique.

@ Lost Drifter
Have you read 'The Game' book?
I don't think anyone with a modicum of common social knowledge would take it's contents as 'fact'!
But it is entertaining, and does offer up some good general points, such as:

1) People are often very concentrated on their own nervousness and this can push away potential mates.
2) People do not often 'prepared' to speak to people, and this can show as them being uninteresting, foolish, and/or ignorant.
3) By channeling excess nervous energy into something constructive (perhaps not as the 'tricks' and 'shows' that the characters do in the book, but something personal to them) a person can overcome a measure of their own social debilitation.
4) Sex isn't the end-all reward, and can and will be a hollow victory without substance behind it.

Honestly, I am finding the book mostly a 'crazy' road-trip type story, but beneath, it tells about how the main character gets the attention and the sex, but it doesn't really satisfy his needs, because it is unsubstantiated.

I actually feel kind of bad for everyone in the book. They have all the sex & attention they could want, but it's built on tricks and shows, not real, concrete relationships of any kind. And as it goes on, the characters discover this more and more. It's really a sort of 'growing up' book, under all the seduction 'technique', as the characters do seem to realize the folly of all the empty sex and relationships after a while.

I'm looking forward to finishing it, and I hope that I have changed your mind about reading it, because it has helped me a bit with my own 'nervous energy' problem.

Give it a try.

I have been to a lot of dating advice websites and I remember on one it said:
1. Always be yourself.
2. If you are an introvert, pretend to be more outgoing.
Since then, I have taken whatever dating advice websites and books give with a large pinch of salt.

@ Tiina63

You do not have a gender listed on your profile, and your name sounds like a girl ('Tina'), and the following link is generally for male-consumption, but if you are introverted, I would maybe try some of the techniques listed on the following link:

Basically, easing yourself into 'extrovert-type' situations will help you 'be' more extroverted, without the dis-honest feeling of pretending.

How the fresia can you pretend to be more outgoing? That's like pretending to change your eye color; yes, you can wear contacts, but you will generally be fake!

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
How the fresia can you pretend to be more outgoing? That's like pretending to change your eye color; yes, you can wear contacts, but you will generally be fake!

Exactly. I was trying to point out that the advice given in point two cancelled out the advice given in point one.

Latest posts

Back