Dealing with unemployment

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawk9007

Reaction score
i decided to graduate from hs early so i can work. it took 6 months for me to get a job, i was fired 3 and half weeks later, for not remebering to take out the trash at the end of the day, my first and last mistake. so i finaly made my desperation move. i applied at a mc donalds near my home. now as i sit here i think if i dont get a job at mc donalds there must be something very messed up on my application, or something about me that people find unimpressing. now im siting here trying to make a plan for if i dont get the job what my next move is going to be. apply at every place i can in a 5 mile radius.see i cant go anyewhere else in life without a job. cant get my permit, start a collage fund, nothing. aint that a beetch
so anyone else suffuring with unemployment?

also i've been away for a while so if this is in the wrong place srry

I dealt with unemployent for 8 months, I feel for you. I got fired because of my customer service, I was given a poor rating by a mystery shopper, after that I was put on probabtion and then they let me go.

It's hard not having a job, I opted to go back to school to study again and in december will be looking for a full time job, I have a part time job brings in a bit of cash but that's about it.

With the unemployment numbers reaching into double digits in a lot of places, don't be surprised if it takes a while to find stable employment. Find something useful to do in the mean time if you can. Maybe you can do some yard work and the like, to earn money in your neighborhood or from family. When my little brother was 16, I used to pay him to cut my grass every couple of weeks. It's not a lot of money, but it would help until you can find something else. Do some volunteer work too - places like pet shelters and churches are a good place to try. It looks GREAT on a resume' in my opinion. Have you tried your local employment office, the classified section of your local newspaper, and Yahoo Hotjobs? Applying for jobs on line is a great way to cover a lot of places in a small amount of time.
I'd love to go back to work full time, but I don't want to put my daughter in daycare. I dread looking for a full time job though, with the job market as dismal as it is at the moment.

Have you considered inquiring about grants for school? It's worth looking into.
I wish you luck, Hawk.

I was going to say it depends on the manager if you get the job for mac donalds, it's nothing personally against you. I worked at mac donalds don't know how I got in I was 30 at the time, on my first day I was working side by side with a 14 year old, wasn't too happy about that.

hawk9007 said:
... i applied at a mc donalds near my home. now as i sit here i think if i dont get a job at mc donalds there must be something very messed up on my application, or something about me that people find unimpressing....

Hopefully you do get it but even if you don't, i can not agree with your conclusion. As Eve mentioned there are a lot of people out there looking for work. That means McDonald is also getting a lot more applications these days.

hawk9007 said:
now as i sit here i think if i dont get a job at mc donalds there must be something very messed up on my application, or something about me that people find unimpressing.

That's a very wrong assumption.

What you need to keep in mind, to reiterate what Eve said, is that we are in a recession. You and I have grown up in a period of relative abundance and economic growth which has been long overdue for a break (a natural part of a free market economy which, when allowed to happen, is usually minor); though politicians have stupidly tried to sustain it endlessly and continue to do so (but that is another post altogether). But because of this I think a lot of our generation doesn't really comprehend what it means for themselves and society, or may misinterpret it.

Anyway. If I were you, I would actually expect unemployment. My employer came very close to having to lay off all employees indefinitely, and that risk is still there if our last ditch effort doesn't pay off. But if we fold, I fully expect to be out of work for at least 4 to 6 months aside from a bit of seasonal work in the winter. I expect this because here in the U.S. (not to mention the rest of the world which is in a similar squeeze), unemployment numbers are now at 9.8%; the highest they have been in 26 years. That means close to 1 in 10 people are out of work, and in general there is very, VERY little new hiring going on anywhere; which means the problem will most likely worsen.

To give you a practical example of the result of this, and show you that the problem likely isn't with you in this case, my local McDonalds usually receives something like 70 applications every 6 months (I think those were the figures). But over the last six month period, they received more than 250. A local gas station received 40 applications for one opening.

Of an original three major lumber mills operating in my area, two have shut down operations (one of which was even demolished) within the last year, and the remaining one is still not back to full steam. By comparison, as little as 3 years ago, all of these mills were routinely hiring to fill positions or replace workers moving on to other things; these same workers now pray nightly to keep what they have. The rest pray for an extension on their unemployment.

So it's not a matter right now of how good you are or how hard you work, hawk. It's just that there are no jobs, and soon there will be less. If you graduated early to start working, you probably have a pretty good work ethic. Your time will come to shine (though take it from me: People will doubt you because of your age even in to your early 20s. Even more so depending on outward appearances. You and I have to work twice as hard because 80% of our generation is worthless.)

Eventually it will end and growth will resume...hopefully. It ultimately depends on how much longer our beloved overlords want to try and resuscitate a cold corpse.

And if you appreciate medical humor, I personally think they have the defibrillator patches reversed.

I'm sorry to hear about your plight. I can tell you I work at McDonald's and I've seen on numerous occasions a boss of mine pick slugs instead of decent human beings. I hope things work out for you on this. Oh, but the other reason I wanted to message you is that I'm a huge 5FDP fan. Seen 'em live last year for the first time. Do you like War Is The Answer?

Brian said:
hawk9007 said:
now as i sit here i think if i dont get a job at mc donalds there must be something very messed up on my application, or something about me that people find unimpressing.

That's a very wrong assumption.

What you need to keep in mind, to reiterate what Eve said, is that we are in a recession. You and I have grown up in a period of relative abundance and economic growth which has been long overdue for a break (a natural part of a free market economy which, when allowed to happen, is usually minor); though politicians have stupidly tried to sustain it endlessly and continue to do so (but that is another post altogether). But because of this I think a lot of our generation doesn't really comprehend what it means for themselves and society, or may misinterpret it.

Anyway. If I were you, I would actually expect unemployment. My employer came very close to having to lay off all employees indefinitely, and that risk is still there if our last ditch effort doesn't pay off. But if we fold, I fully expect to be out of work for at least 4 to 6 months aside from a bit of seasonal work in the winter. I expect this because here in the U.S. (not to mention the rest of the world which is in a similar squeeze), unemployment numbers are now at 9.8%; the highest they have been in 26 years. That means close to 1 in 10 people are out of work, and in general there is very, VERY little new hiring going on anywhere; which means the problem will most likely worsen.

To give you a practical example of the result of this, and show you that the problem likely isn't with you in this case, my local McDonalds usually receives something like 70 applications every 6 months (I think those were the figures). But over the last six month period, they received more than 250. A local gas station received 40 applications for one opening.

Of an original three major lumber mills operating in my area, two have shut down operations (one of which was even demolished) within the last year, and the remaining one is still not back to full steam. By comparison, as little as 3 years ago, all of these mills were routinely hiring to fill positions or replace workers moving on to other things; these same workers now pray nightly to keep what they have. The rest pray for an extension on their unemployment.

So it's not a matter right now of how good you are or how hard you work, hawk. It's just that there are no jobs, and soon there will be less. If you graduated early to start working, you probably have a pretty good work ethic. Your time will come to shine (though take it from me: People will doubt you because of your age even in to your early 20s. Even more so depending on outward appearances. You and I have to work twice as hard because 80% of our generation is worthless.)

Eventually it will end and growth will resume...hopefully. It ultimately depends on how much longer our beloved overlords want to try and resuscitate a cold corpse.

And if you appreciate medical humor, I personally think they have the defibrillator patches reversed.

so....uhhh.....yeah.....english please?
scarsacrossthesky said:
I'm sorry to hear about your plight. I can tell you I work at McDonald's and I've seen on numerous occasions a boss of mine pick slugs instead of decent human beings. I hope things work out for you on this. Oh, but the other reason I wanted to message you is that I'm a huge 5FDP fan. Seen 'em live last year for the first time. Do you like War Is The Answer?
never heard of War Is the Answer

hawk9007 said:
so....uhhh.....yeah.....english please?

We're in a recession.

The unemployment rate is only rising.

There's millions of people sweating bullets right now wanting a job. Even though I have vocational training, I came close to having to apply for the same jobs as kids still in school or in college.

If the McDonalds you applied at has an opening, I can -guarantee- you there are at least 40 other people applying for that same, single position. Possibly hundreds, if you're in a city.

So as things are, it has nothing to do with you not being good enough for the job or being unimpressing, as you stated in your original post...it's just that managers at pretty much every workplace have so many applications on file right now, they probably don't even look at 70% of them, assuming they even decide to hire somebody for a position.

Anyway. Yeah, unemployment sucks. I got seriously depressed even when I was out of work for the winter once. With no real social life, it was like I lost all purpose.

see now that was easier to understand. im actually quite hopefull for this job seeing as how im applying for a new store that will open in a few weeks

Latest posts

Back