Depression prevents people from being productive?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya, depresssion windles down one's energy. I have a hard time getting out of bed, That and I have been eating out of bordom. Its hard to get motivated to even take a walk. But not going for walks to a place just leaves me in front of the computer or staring at 4 walls which is very boring. But most times its, where do I go to get out for a walk? I drink a lot of water too or drink tea. I crave it. Might be diabetic here.

It definitely prevents people from being productive. I have done nothing to further my life or progress in anything in the last 5 or 6 years. This non productive nature depresses me further as well.

I think it's important to note that productivity is not always very productive. Was raping the land from the native Americans and destroying an entire culture productive? Think what we could have learned from them if we decided to respect their land, culture, and values.

This goes a lot deeper, but, I think it's important to note that one should not be hard on themselves for being, 'unproductive', due to a depression.

Doesn't really solve anything or answer any problems, the machine keeps on running with or with out, you, but it's something to think about.

I find that when I'm depressed I become apathetic and don't do anything. Some times you have to force yourself to do something and that comes down to will, but... If you deep down really just don't have it in you, why lie to yourself and beat yourself up over it? Some times the best medication is listed as a harmful toxin. Some times to begin dying is to begin truly living.

You know, on the contrary to every reply in this thread, I have found that sometimes I am at my most creative when I'm very depressed. Sure, I get this generic "I really can't stand to do ANYTHING at all, can't even imagine it" depression where I lye in bed all day and night curled up in the fetal position, crying my eyes out at the sponsor a dog adverts (if I even have any tears left to cry), a mound of plates to wash, no clean clothes, a huge pile of honeysuckle of a life basically. But other times, when I really really hate life and want to die, I go out and take depression inspired photographs. I make comic strips that are dark and weird and depressingly comical. I capture people's attention doing these things and they tell me how interesting I am. I'm only getting the idea for them from the depression, and these people are complimenting me because of the depression.

So I think there are at least 2 types.

The type where you can't do anything, and feel like honeysuckle
The type where you might be able to take that shitty feeling and use it productively

All the greatest comedians are depressed. Artists etc. You need to have a balance though. You need to be able to actually stand up and get out the door. Get a camera, go for a walk. Just do it. Take pictures of anything you think looks depressing. Get really involved in it, the whole depression thing. Live it, live with it inside you and outside you, until it's time to move on.

painter said:
You know, on the contrary to every reply in this thread, I have found that sometimes I am at my most creative when I'm very depressed. Sure, I get this generic "I really can't stand to do ANYTHING at all, can't even imagine it" depression where I lye in bed all day and night curled up in the fetal position, crying my eyes out at the sponsor a dog adverts (if I even have any tears left to cry), a mound of plates to wash, no clean clothes, a huge pile of honeysuckle of a life basically. But other times, when I really really hate life and want to die, I go out and take depression inspired photographs. I make comic strips that are dark and weird and depressingly comical. I capture people's attention doing these things and they tell me how interesting I am. I'm only getting the idea for them from the depression, and these people are complimenting me because of the depression.

The type where you might be able to take that shitty feeling and use it productively

All the greatest comedians are depressed. Artists etc. You need to have a balance though. You need to be able to actually stand up and get out the door. Get a camera, go for a walk. Just do it. Take pictures of anything you think looks depressing. Get really involved in it, the whole depression thing. Live it, live with it inside you and outside you, until it's time to move on.

My schizo mates are quite artistic and make some pretty decent models and paintings.

It's a funnd ol' world.

Pffft.

I spent some time depressed, but then I realized having all this time at home and on the computer, I could do a ton of fun stuff. So I wrote a video game and a book.

When I cheered up a bit and got out, I noticed all the non-depressed people. Were they really being productive, or did it just seem that way? Most of the jobs that I picked (I was still kinda depressed) had such people in dead-end grind positions. Is it really anyone's dream to be packing and shipping vegetables for another person? Or is it just the owner's dream?

For my depression, I had a game and a book to show for it, along with the effects of volunteer work on the community (I did alot of that, because what depressed me seemed to be the acceptance/rejection process of wage jobs). What did these other guys have? Years of work for a guy who may fire them in a second. I think you'd have to be able to define "productive," because I define it as tangible effect on the world around you.

painter said:

I agree with you. Some of my strongest moments of inspiration have hit during bouts of depression. It's odd when all of the shitty feelings suddenly act as artistic fuel. I'll pop out series of ideas, quotes, a story or a poem way faster than usual. The work will be loaded with pessimism and cynicism, but I generally feel better afterwards and the work is generally not half bad (albeit not exactly cheerful).

painter said:

Maybe your confusing the 2nd type for anger, resentment, indignation etc. Those feelings can be used productively for sure. Depression is a state of hopelessness, I can't see how it can be motivational.

I have no job at the moment so yes.
I'm not in college and I hate when people keep telling me to go when I don't even feel motivated. Sometimes I isolate myself cause I'm so sad and and don't wanna bring people down who I love the most. Sadness is draining and it's been making me so tired lately.

rdor said:
painter said:

Maybe your confusing the 2nd type for anger, resentment, indignation etc. Those feelings can be used productively for sure. Depression is a state of hopelessness, I can't see how it can be motivational.

I don't think everyone experiences depression in exactly the same way. You could be right, at least partially. It's all theory I guess, as to which infliction is causing what action/response. All I can say for sure is that I've been at my most creative when I'm extremely unhappy. Perhaps the definition of depressed is broad, and can be interprated in different ways. I don't think it has to mean unable to get out of bed.

Latest posts

Back