Did anyone date outside your culture?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
are race and culture the same to you? personally, i don't see myself marrying my own race for many complex reasons (i'm Black/AA). but i would have to be with a fellow american. i don't see it possible to be with a non american for a long term relationship.

my cultural limit was met with the very nice scholar from Senegal who wanted to date me and introduced me to his other 2 wives (!) seriously

race, what is that?

I wouldn't have a problem with it, but the ease with which you can relate to someone is going to make it more likely to stick with your 'own'.

Have, and will, continue dating inside and outside my culture. *shrug* To each their own. My only advice is to never limit yourself. Besides, who wants to only be around people that are overly similar to yourself?

ghbarnaby2 said:
Have, and will, continue dating inside and outside my culture. *shrug* To each their own. My only advice is to never limit yourself. Besides, who wants to only be around people that are overly similar to yourself?

...would have thought you'd comment on the unequal power relations when a member of the majority dates a minority.

I've been with my own race(african american) a hawaiian, a romanian, and a spanish girl. While I wont mind the race/culture, I lean towards white females. They drive me insane in a good way.

I'm German, both my exes were Americans. I've always had a thing for native English speakers :p
I would consider both cultures pretty similar, but there are differences. I guess it always depends on how well informed you are, plus of course the personality types, because in the long run those are one of the biggest deciding factors.

" I lean towards white females. They drive me insane in a good way. "
lol :D You're welcome :D

It doesn't matter to me what country he is from. :) Connection, love and caring are more important than his culture.

Really, with the advent of the Internet, there is less to differentiate between cultural groups than ever before. All of our 'cultures' are heading towards the same bland homogeneity. So this question is soon to become altogether moot, I think.

That said, I have a preference for dating blacks. Particularly black Americans. I'm white, myself.

lonelyfairy said:
It doesn't matter to me what country he she is from. :) Connection, love and caring are more important than his her culture.

Yeah, I think i'd prefer it.

rdor said:
ghbarnaby2 said:

...would have thought you'd comment on the unequal power relations when a member of the majority dates a minority.

Not really. When people cross-culturally date, things can be lost in translation, but the exposure generally makes both better people. But one would have to have that experience to comprehend that no?

I have dated outside and my culture and would do it again and would also marry outside my culture. I love languages, so feel drawn towards speakers of other languages whether I speak their language already or not.

I think culture doesn't matter so much as values...which I don't think need to be defined by culture. I value loyalty, kindness, genuineness. If someone outside of my culture values those things above all, I'd date him.

I have, sort of. My girlfriends have always been Americans but America is not all one culture. All my former mates are Christians, whereas I'n not from a Christian background. Having said that, while I would date someone outside my culture, I wouldn't marry that way. With any luck I'll never get married...I don't need to be domesticated, thank you.

I do not think it's much of an issue in modern society, there's already so many cities with mixed races and cultures; I think it's inevitable and the way forward.

I have and will. I find people out of my culture are nicer and can relate to me more.

I'm an Asian & I was 13 years old when I came to U.S... I was put into a school where there were only 3 Asian kids including myself... Majority of the students were white... I was at an age where I was just starting to be interested in girls & at the risk of sounding weird, I was forced to deal with what was available to me... In the course of my dating life, I've never dated an Asian let alone my own nationality... It's not that I was looking outside of my race on purpose, it just happened that way... Not that I've dated a lot but few girlfriends I had in my life, they were all whites... And by whites, I'm including Europeans & North American descent... My last girlfriend was part Scottish, part German & part Irish... Ethnic & cultural backgrounds never bothered me... On a contrary, they intrigued me if anything... Despite of my dating history, I don't really have ethnic or culture preference... I would date anybody if the opportunity presents itself...

Latest posts

Back