Different English Accents

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumpkin-soup

Reaction score
I learned English mostly by speaking with American people so I speak American English specifically from NC. Of course I have my own bad accent or wrong pronunciation though :p
I fancy Irish accents. How pirates or vikings speak in films are good too. I can never tell what accent is what but I would love to learn many different kinds of English.
I wonder how my English sound to people :cool:

Hey you,

England is rich in accents, you could be just a town away and pronounce things/sound differently. I can't say I share your interest in pirate accents though haha.

Speak soon.

Whenever i travel down England or abroad i always get asked if am from Newcastle or Scotland.

Kinda have this weird Scottish/Geordie inbreed accent :p

American here, so I don't speak with an accent...obviously.

Anyway, I'm not sure what a viking accent is - do you mean that barbarian-type speaking that is in the movies? Since vikings weren't English speakers, I guess it's an accent of whatever Scandinavian language they spoke natively.

I'm sure your English sounds normal to people from NC - and to a Yankee like me (New Jersey), it would probably have a little bit of a Southern twang.

theraab said:
I'm sure your English sounds normal to people from NC - and to a Yankee like me (New Jersey), it would probably have a little bit of a Southern twang.

Another New Jersey native here and I just have to say that people from NJ do not sound like the cast of The Sopranos or The Jersey Shore; those are the SOUTH Jersey rejects, whole different state. ;)

English spoken with the spanish accent just makes me melt ! Doesn't have the OTT sound french people do When adopting the tongue.

I have a midland accent but there is still a residue of cockney East ender in there from when I was a kid and lived in London.

Never forget first time we moved to the midlands and someone said

''EY UP MEH DHUCK !'' - it means sort of 'hello how are you doing? - ! I think ! LOL

JasonM said:
theraab said:

Another New Jersey native here and I just have to say that people from NJ do not sound like the cast of The Sopranos or The Jersey Shore; those are the SOUTH Jersey rejects, whole different state. ;)

I'm with you. Here in central Jersey (Trenton area), people speak normally - that Jersey Shore accent does not represent us.

Confession: there are near 100 Japanese children in the Kansai area that speak English with a Welsh-Italian accent; that’s my legacy right there, I’ll be hated by generations to come. :p

Lost Drifter said:
Confession: there are near 100 Japanese children in the Kansai area that speak English with a Welsh-Italian accent; that’s my legacy right there, I’ll be hated by generations to come. :p

Good job, stud. Oh, wait, did you mean you were a teacher over there? Oh well.

theraab said:
Lost Drifter said:

Good job, stud. Oh, wait, did you mean you were a teacher over there? Oh well.

Ha! Good one...
The assistant English teacher in my high school was a Welsh guy but all I remember is girls asking him if he were single : P

Poguesy said:
Kinda have this weird Scottish/Geordie inbreed accent :p
I'm sure I like your weird accent : )

As for pirates or vikings, I was watching the Pirates of Caribbean the other day and asked someone about the way Barbossa spoke, and he just told me it's kinda like how pirates talk. So I was like, ah okay, it sounds cool. And I guess theraab explained about vikings. I think I'm referring to films and fairytales lol

I'm often told that I have a redneck accent.

Anymore I ain't agreein'. Ya'll cain't say a durned-appled thang to learn me otherways.

Latest posts

Back