Distant echoes of the one I loved.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IgnoredOne

Reaction score
[Ramble, autobiographical with an authorial flair. Mods, feel free to move this into the diary if it is more appropriate.]

I loved her...love her so, though I suppose that in a way, for all of the time together, we were never supposed to have been. And as I sense her presence again, dimly muse at her words to 'restore connections' and consider all who she is and consider all who she is no longer, I try to piece together my feelings and see the little girl where there may be none.

Call her E. We were, as I said, not supposed to be together at all. The daughter of a wealthy and as I would learn, rather controlling father who was intent on keeping her away from any distracting male influences, E nonetheless met me as a tutor during summer. I was quite a bit older than her but something of her maturity surprised me to the core. When she told me that she was sixteen, I thought she was lying.

The little redhead didn't sound sixteen, not with her passion to progress, her distinct disavowal of the stupidity of high school games, or the simple focused intellect that signified her. She was a consummate equestarian, with several blue ribbons to her credit from country fairs; I, who had ridden horses for my entire life, had something immediately in common.

We got close - far too quickly and obviously wrong for a teacher and a student. I think we both realized that, but neither of us did anything about it. We talked during our lessons, over the phone, in late-night MSN sessions and secret meetings in the hills of the vast ranch of her family's.

One night, as we watched the stars,she sleepily rambled about shooting stars. If for every one that we saw, the beauty of the fiery streak that knifed across the clear blackness - then think of all of the shooting stars that are not seen, of all of the beauty that surrounds us, that is missed in our haste and rush. And just as she drifted off upon my shoulder, she murmured those few words which are said so often hollowly and yet, mean so much when said in truth.

"I love you."

"I know," I answered. "I love you too."

It was summer again. She had just turned 17.

Time is not static, but fluid. In darkness and depression, it seems to stretch on and endlessly, and every plodding night forward is endless in its lonely terror. But in happiness, time flees and flights on gilt wings, golden in the sunshine and the whorl of the living world.

She asked me to describe her once, standing there, where the pink snapdragons splashed against the wheatgold of grasses and the blue buttony blossoms of the bluebonnets. I told her of the flickering flame of her hair, the glade of speckled green and wild honey brown of her eyes, of the pink tingled of scarlet of her lips and the cream rose of her cheeks. The cream rose blushed full crimson, and she called me her writer.

She called me knight, her knight. I called her sweetness, my sweetness against the dreariness of the world.

We challenged a hill once, not too long after. I remember the gale of the wind as I galloped Grant, the old quarterhorse, and leapt upward the rocky approach until we found ourselves on the summit, then I laughed and beckoned E to follow me from the base. She hugged her Star, that prancing and agile Arab; those wild angel eyes of hers flashed an answer to my challenge and upward ho did she urge Star to leap, but where the rider was dauntless, the mount was not. Star made a lazy ascending step, seemingly glanced sideways at E, and turned about neighingly. E giggled so much, and her laughter was as sweet as the sound of a fresh stream.

And yet, somehow, where I had accepted us, something felt missing. Her friends, if they ever knew of us, could never accept us in the least. E despised them almost actively, admitting she could never even communicate with anything 'her age' without liberally drowning herself in caffiene, but in retrospect, their approval meant something. And for all our love, our joy and the light, perhaps it never felt normal.

By fall, she seemed increasingly perturbed by the lack of normalcy, as she called it. I mocked it - how could anything extraordinary be ordinary? If we were not normal, did that not mean we were at least special? But the thought smouldered, agitated and finally exploded. As the leaves darkened and the branches bared, so she asked for us to end.

No more clandestine kisses behind coffee kiosks. No more laughter under the spectral skies. No more sweetness.

I was crestfallen, but I was not alone. She couldn't find her peace either, somehow, and perhaps foolishly, we stuck together again in some mockery of a relationship. I loved her so, but she did not, not in the same way, even if she needed me and even if she still came to me first and almost every night in phone or message or person. We were stormy and we fought - I tried to press in and she tried to push away, but never too far, and we were too desperate to have each other in our lives, for some reason - but really, we brought each other only pain. She said that we were a rollercoaster, and she asked why we could not stabilize.

But rollercoasters end. The tickets are paid, the ride slows and the passengers depart. And so, in the end, did us, finally. One night, she abruptly offered herself to me, but I felt suspicious and she confessed that she had given her virginity to someone else. We fought. It was my right, I felt, after all the time that I had waited for her. We exchanged bitter words. We did not speak again.

Until two years later.

She came to me, crying for love had wounded her - her boyfriend then had abandoned her, evidently, having been cheating on her with some other woman. She was angry, lost, and more than that...she had lost something of herself, something of that passionate sweetness that she had. Something of her seemed to want us to try again, but I could not forgive her, still, for what I felt was her betrayal and she could not quite stabilize on whether she even wanted me. Again, we ended. This time, she said, it was on better terms, for the both of us. I thanked her for being in my life. She did the same for me. And so it was.

Or not.

Again, today, she came to be at least tangentially in my life. Its online now, and so, I have only pieces of the girl that I once knew. I see a photo, I see those green eyes and the auburn hair, I see a purpose in her life that I knew nothing about. Some part of me almost feels a yearning, thinking of those lost giggles and gentle smiles. But, in the end, I don't think there is anything left of my sweetness, my E. There is a woman where once was a girl, better, I hope, but...never the same again. She's a photographer now, I understand. She looks more worn, sadder, and lost. That was once the spirited fire, now, I see only the anger and bitterness. Somewhere, I still love her. Somehow.

But not enough to risk talking to her again.

I wanted to be there for her. To be her teacher in all things, and safeguard her from all pains in life. I loved her so, but not all dreams are meant to be and the fantasies of flight find truth in prose but not in life. In the distant annals of memory, a sweet girl once frolicked amongst the hills with her knight in a magical summer. We lived, we loved and are lost in time. Let that be our epitaph.

She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes.

wow, IgnoredOne.... it sounds like a chapter from a novel. If it is indeed a true story of yours, then I think it is a very romantic one. If she is still single and you still love her, I think you should go for it again. She would be more mature now and things should go smoother this time around.

**** dude....thats why white chicks hates fucken asain men...ur given us dudes a bad name man....

wtff??? Teacher??? You mean comntrol her, mole her into ur cheap fuicken thrill.....

a partnership.? Interdependent? Team work? No big I and little u? Equality? RELATIIONship?

what are u saying?
you likr little girls and not women?

Im not trying to be a dick....
Renae was only 16 when I first met her. She told me she was 18..never the less she was 16.
We were suppose to get married.
We got back togehter then I got her pregnant when she was 19...
Hatred effected ouir lives as always. Our duaghter was given up for adoptions at birth....
Not until recently Renae.s famoily wants anything to do with our daughter ..WHY????? My dauhgter makes the bucks. Fucken people are messed up.....
Renae and I recently also got back togeter..
I do undersatnd....Renae is the love of my life...Life is weird. And its not always black and white.
I ve never stopped loving her and Im always going to love her. Thats why I have relationship problems with other women throughtout my life...

I love my daughter more than life itself.

allanh said:
wow, IgnoredOne.... it sounds like a chapter from a novel. If it is indeed a true story of yours, then I think it is a very romantic one. If she is still single and you still love her, I think you should go for it again. She would be more mature now and things should go smoother this time around.

Its entirely true. And I don't know - there is something restless in her, and maybe something fundamentally in disconnect between us. Consider this: if we try again, it'll be the fourth time, essentially. I think that there's something that draws her to me, and something in me that's weak to her, but we've both moved on. There's something about us that seems to never quite go away, though, and in that, I both celebrate and grow sad over.

Life can be lived as a narrative, as a story, as I once and sometimes still do; but it doesn't always end as stories do. But for all of the pain and sadness, I would not sacrifice a moment of it.

Lonesome Crow said:
**** dude....thats why white chicks hates fucken asain men...ur given us dudes a bad name man....

wtff??? Teacher??? You mean comntrol her, mole her into ur cheap fuicken thrill.....

The fact that my love was an innocent heiress who could shoot straight, win blue ribbons, had her EMT license at 17 and was well set on becoming a doctor(until she randomly changed her goals) all while having a several disability with her left hand(she broke it in a motorcycle incident and it never healed) while yours is a girl who has drug problems and gives up her own daughter to adoption after an unexpected pregnancy speaks volumes about the differences in us, my sad poser.

I loved her at a time and place which seems ethereal and magical, and unfortunately, I don't think it will be possible again. I'm melancholy, but glad for the memories.

IgnoredOne said:
Lonesome Crow said:

I loved her at a time and place which seems ethereal and magical, and unfortunately, I don't think it will be possible again. I'm melancholy, but glad for the memories.

it is better to have loved and lost, than to have not loved at all...

;-)

This was very beautifully written! Romantic but sad. :/ You're a good writer.

So from what I am reading you are not with her because when she was willing to put out you were made she was not a virgin? Your choice to write this in a fictional manner kind of obscures what really happened.

Anyway what is done is done. From what you were the one to end it. I am not 100% sure why either. You blame her father, but you only mention him in the beginning. You mention her friends, but only once. You mention how she threw herself at the mercy of you and how you were upset.

Oh well, I hope you have learned a lesson.

U said you wanted to be her teachers in all things...Oki Doki, Master..

You said she was under age...
How old were you when u met her?
25?????

Im 44, Renae is 41...thats the age differnce between us. She was 16
I was still 18 when I met. .

Yes theres internal and external forces
that put a wedge between her and I..
Yes Renae has drugs problems
Yes Renae had chosen drugs over our daughter and our relationship..
Yes, Renae makes irrational decisons
and dose the exact oppostie of what say.
Yes Renae has all behaviors of an abusive partner or toxic relationship.
Yes I still love Renae and very much in love with her inspite of eveything.
Yes...Im sicker than she is for still loving
her and wanting her..knwing what I know about all the chaos and destructions of addictions and alcoholism.
Yes our duaghter had been effected by all of it.
Yes I would anything to save my duaghters life
Yes I would do anything to take away the pains my daughter had carried all her life.

Yes, U and I are not the same.

AFrozenSoul said:
So from what I am reading you are not with her because when she was willing to put out you were made she was not a virgin? Your choice to write this in a fictional manner kind of obscures what really happened.

No, I'm not sure why that's confusing. She was a virgin and made it a significant part of her identity; we did a lot of sexual things, but she froze up a lot whenever we got too far and I always stopped because I cared for her.

However, during our second run at it, she began to go to parties, etc, all which she felt like she had to do to be more normal. She got drunk and apparently a friend of hers slept with her, without caring as much for her freezing up and I didn't quite forgive her for that. She later got mad at me, too, for 'not being forceful enough' and that I should have pushed her a lot more. Long story short, she began to accuse me of being too gentle to ever handle her, and I pretty much was fed up right when I figured that she betrayed me since I had waited around two years for her to "be ready."

The on and offness and everything - ultimately, it had a large part to do with the fact that we /did/ love each other and care for each other, but at the same time, she felt like she had no way to justify to either her father or her friends that she was 'with' her twenty-three year old former tutor. Or why she wasn't going to parties, or doing any of the 'normal teenage' things. She was basically just happy with me, yet also unhappy that she wasn't "normal" and the balance of the two drove her a bit batty. She's always been like that. Not being normal bothered her very much. She didn't feel like she had any close girlfriends to confide with, and all her friends were just people she drank coffee with, while her family had no real sympathy for her on anything(the ones who did, had died earlier). Just having me, I think, was desperately lonely and painful.

I learned something, I'm sure. Mostly that the flights of fiction and reality do not always meet.

Your post was beautifully written and romantic.

I wish someone could love me like that. <_<

Anyway, I hope you find someone who makes you feel this way again...and that you find happiness one day. You deserve it.

Well I call BS on the sex thing. You were in a no win situation there. If you had been forceful she might have cried rape. You being older would automatically be guilty. She reframed everything so that you would be the one at fault. Let me ask you this, would she have frozen up if a famous actor seduced her? The answer is no. Chances are she enjoyed the intimate attention.

No offense, sounds like her interest in you faded once you were not forceful enough, as she put it. Women are like that. Maybe she was just testing your interest. Since you did not push hard enough the door sealed. From there it was down hill. She loves you, but she is not attracted to you. Despite what is commonly said attraction is needed for relationships to work.

AFrozenSoul said:
Well I call BS on the sex thing. You were in a no win situation there. If you had been forceful she might have cried rape. You being older would automatically be guilty. She reframed everything so that you would be the one at fault. Let me ask you this, would she have frozen up if a famous actor seduced her? The answer is no. Chances are she enjoyed the intimate attention.

No offense, sounds like her interest in you faded once you were not forceful enough, as she put it. Women are like that. Maybe she was just testing your interest. Since you did not push hard enough the door sealed. From there it was down hill. She loves you, but she is not attracted to you. Despite what is commonly said attraction is needed for relationships to work.

There was a no-win situation, because she didn't know what she wanted. In retrospect, I could have done more to be slightly more assertive and less passive, but it woudl be a very thin line. And yes, I know that I didn't push hard enough, but in itself, it was a difficult row to hoe - especially since I cared for her. I didn't /want/ her to be a pariah either, you know.

I think that 'she loves me but is not attracted enough to me' to be very fair. Its odd to think that there is any divorce between the two, though; she did seem to find happiness with me, but maybe not so much excitement.

Its funny, because later on, when her boyfriend dumped her, she came back and told me that she chose him because she thought someone her age would be the 'safer choice.' She also recognized how, in retrospect, I cared so much more for her.

And Luna, thank you. For what it is worth, I never thought of her as the most beautiful girl or anything, but while I loved her, she was magical and really, that's what mattered. Sure, Monica Belluci was prettier, but E was my little sweetness and the sum of her personality and traits and attributes made her priceless.

Yes, Renae and I got back together recently.
Yes. Were seperate again beuase of the ame old honeysuckle.
Yes. My duagjter is devistated.
Yes. I currently have another GF
Yes..she has big ass titays. Its the same old honeysuckle with all women I date..big ass titays.

Yes she's a white chick. Shes 10 yrs younger than me.

Yes. I"m emotionally torn up ..same old honeysuckle. I cant love other women, fall in love or get head over heels with other women. Its a combination of me truley loving Renae and being in a toxic relationship with Renae. And the most
common triats of an ACOA.

Yes, I dated a 19 yr old last summer.
Errrr yeah the song gose like this...

it was over before....before we ever begin...your lips, ur clothe, ur calls
I fell in love with ur littlest..litlest sins....
Hey....ur in ur fucken DISEASE.
You are after drug
You are my greatest faillure...aggrhhhhhhh

It was over befroe...before we ever beging...
Ur lips..ur lies. Ur lost..like the devil in your hands....
:p.

That is just fine, women feel the need to justify things that make the appear wrong. Didn't know what she wanted. Please she knew EXACTLY what she wanted.

Well what is done is done. At least you have some happy memories right?

AFrozenSoul said:
That is just fine, women feel the need to justify things that make the appear wrong. Didn't know what she wanted. Please she knew EXACTLY what she wanted.

Well what is done is done. At least you have some happy memories right?

Yes. It is in the moments of joy, fleeting as they might be, that beauty finds expression in life.

Latest posts

Back