Do americans think British are cool?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cumulus.james

Reaction score
I was thinking about this. If one of you American chappies came and lived in my town your accent would be enough to attract people to you. This does not work for all foreigners (it is the opposite if their skin is at all dark) but people would find you cool because of your accent.

If I went to Sacramento or whatever would they think that of me?

cumulus.james said:
I was thinking about this. If one of you American chappies came and lived in my town your accent would be enough to attract people to you. This does not work for all foreigners (it is the opposite if their skin is at all dark) but people would find you cool because of your accent.

I personally like the British accent and could listen to it for hours :)

Hoffy said:
cumulus.james said:

I personally like the British accent and could listen to it for hours :)

I talk like this guy

Yes the British are cool.

I cant speak for everyone in USA... but for me, an English accent drives me insane..... I LOVE it! just close my eyes, talk in my ear while making sweet..... umm yeppy I love an English accent!! (:)

..... correction... I think British/ English/ Welsh / Scottish or any other European accent is cool... hehe I got carried away there for a moment!!!

Hoffy said:

hes an ******* we hate him over here. He is very middle class and generic. He is also very odd in that he has been offered various TV projects and cant be bothered with them. I think he is going to regret that.

I kinda liked him a bit once but he gets on my nerves now. The problem I have with Charlie and his mate Alex is that they are in their 20's now but still act like they are 14. I think they are actually lovers they live in Camden town together and stuff.

Hmm, really? That is rather odd not to do the TV stuff. What do you mean by generic though?

Since I'm in London right now, I'd say I don't find it annoying. When I get back to the States, yeah it would be annoying.

Ak5 said:
Since I'm in London right now, I'd say I don't find it annoying. When I get back to the States, yeah it would be annoying.

Your in London? ****. wish Id have known I always wanted an American friend.

I lived in the UK for 4 years, I can't say that I think British people are cool, but maybe that's because I lived in the Midlands the whole time? :p

And I certainly didn't win any hearts with my American accent - no one cared at all.

But if you as a British person went to the US, people would be a huge fan of your accent - regardless of where in the UK you're from and which accent you have. In my experience, most Americans don't know the difference and find any British accent charming and interesting.

When I was in Canada people went all "Ooh you're British" every time I said anything and for some reason wanted to tell me how they'd traced their family back to some castle in Scotland...er.

I never see anyone around here with a British accent, so it would be a rare "attraction," I'm sure. Just about any faraway accent would stand out for most people in this region, even ones from Brooklyn or Wisconsin. I met a Scottish guy once with a heavy accent who ran an antiques auction 2 hours from here (so, not from this county) and that's about it, great accent, I think. It would be cool to meet someone with an authentic Geordie accent. I like the sound of its vowels.

DreamerDeceiver said:
I never see anyone around here with a British accent, so it would be a rare "attraction," I'm sure. Just about any faraway accent would stand out for most people in this region, even ones from Brooklyn or Wisconsin. I met a Scottish guy once with a heavy accent who ran an antiques auction 2 hours from here (so, not from this county) and that's about it, great accent, I think. It would be cool to meet someone with an authentic Geordie accent. I like the sound of its vowels.

My accent is very close to geordie. How can you like it, its disgusting?

i dnt really care 4 a british accnt
no offense of course

Not american, but I've been subject to watchin british shows and the like for years. Sure enough, when I think of the british, I don't think of a 'posh, gentleman accent' but the sort of banter you hear from the mouths of Smith & Jones, Blackadder, the Monty Python crew...and so on.

I do imagine that some people think a British accent is generally powered by some extraordinary degree of elitism. I met a woman a few months ago who has an accent because she spent many years being educated in the UK. She was a very lovely person. She gave me some great words of inspiration and I've been working hard to follow them. I know her first and last name, and I think of her on many occasions before or after looking someone in their eyes in an interaction.

Latest posts

Back