Do I Stand Out More?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFrozenSoul

Reaction score
So tonight I went to The Legend of Zelda Symphony of the Goddess concert. I was all alone of course, as per being me. I noticed something.. I seemed to stand out even more than those who were cosplaying.

So I wonder, at very niche events like that one. Do you think loners stand out much more than at larger more common events? Maybe I am just being paranoid.. however... I do not know... I am just curious about that. I mean that concert was a niche event by any standard even within the Zelda community.

I guess you stood out because you were not dressed up. Do you ever dress up? Maybe if you did, someone would comment on your costume, and you could have a conversation.
When I go places alone, I feel like everyone is looking at me and feeling sorry for me because I am alone. I know they really are not because what makes me so important that everyone would stop what they are doing and look at me...it's silly, but still I feel like they are looking at me and judging me.

Does this happen if you go to cosplays and dress up? Or do you think it was because you were not in costume?

@acedna: No I did not dress up for this event. Granted that could have been interpreted 2 ways. Anyway, I did my best to just look normal. I guess that is what got me. I do cosplay at other conventions. However, people do not talk to me. They just ask for my picture and maybe feed me a compliment. However, I stand out less in costume are those.

I find that when i am self concious, i feel all eyes on me. Is it imagination ? or the fact that i am so focused on it that i catch every look i get ? I'm not sure. But i'm pretty sure, that unless i have the prettiest dress in the room or a stain of ketchup on my shirt, people are not realy acting different than usual.

One thing you have to understand is that everyone's human. As you're standing there, wondering if you are standing out, or looking weird, many other people are too. Once you become more comfortable, you'll realize that everyone generally has the same disposition in that they always feel eyes on them when they're nervous. Chances are, yes, some people noticed you, maybe even had a few stray thoughts about you. Best thing you can do in that situation is enjoy yourself. Maybe next time you go to an event like that, when someone asks for a photo, ask them a question about themselves, or about their costume. Even the most mundane questions can lead the the best conversations. Maybe once you've met a couple people, you can tag along, make some new friends. Worst case scenario, you meet a few people and have a few conversations, and end up never seeing them again. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain during situations like this. Just my observation however, interpret at your own risk.

Was going to say something, but instead i am just going to +1 Coughee. I do not think I could of put it better myself, in fact i could not of.

Loners (including myself) always think they stand out....because that's what they are constantly thinking about "I'm all alone here....everybody is with somebody....everybody has a plus 1 .....except me".........so they end up thinking that other people notice this as well.......but in most general situations you're about as noticeable as the next guy.

@Coughee: Yeah I hate my social anxiety. Granted I do not feel that way at conventions. The problem with this event was there were plenty of breaks between the part I enjoyed. >.< I was not going to cock-block that guy on his romantic night out with his girl though.

Latest posts

Back