Do You Alter Who You Really Are As A Person To Fit In With Others?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being a chameleon is something I thought I was good at for a long time.

It's exhausting. The truth always comes out, eventually. Just a question of 'when'.

Equinox said:
I don't fit in with others no matter what, so my personality generally remains the same.

if you don't fit in why do you have so many awesome reps in such a short time on here? We ain't being nice, you're actually quite popular here. :cool:

I like to think that I have many sides as a person and only let certain people see certain sides based upon what I think they want to see, or what I am most comfortable with showing. I don't have any single way of being for me to have to alter myself.

SophiaGrace said:
if you don't fit in why do you have so many awesome reps in such a short time on here? We ain't being nice, you're actually quite popular here. :cool:

Because I'm an ace writer, and a **** wise one, too. ;)

I'm not conscious of doing it at all, but when I realize the way I come off to other people, I see that there are changes in the way I behave depending on who I'm around. However, because I'm not making some conscious effort to do that these days, it may just have to do with my comfort level around certain people. I'm naturally guarded, but rarely just plain fake. For example, around school I probably came off as shy or aloof, to my family I seem talkative and emotional, to less close family I seem distant and emotionless. I'm always myself, sometimes I'm just hiding behind a thicker wall than at other times.

I am known as someone who is who he is. Meaning I don't change who I am. If you don't like who I am then fine. If I have to force myself to be someone different the whole time then it's not worth it.

I don't try to manipulate people into liking me but I have a polite and reserved mask that I wear in public like most people. I can be a blank slate and be whatever people want me to be, but I don't see the point in having people who like a "me" that's a deceptive illusion. The older I get, the less I care what people think of me.

blackdot said:
I am known as someone who is who he is. Meaning I don't change who I am. If you don't like who I am then fine. If I have to force myself to be someone different the whole time then it's not worth it.

You hit it very accurately. I've seen too many examples of people trying to be something they're not eventually get caught out- seems exhausting to me.

JamaisVu, I've felt that way for a long time as well (The older I get, the less I care what people think of me.).

It really seems odd to me how many people just want to hear what they already think, not the reality of a situation. I don't think of myself as blunt or callous but I'm not very good at sugar coating things either. I don't think I'd much enjoy pretending to be someone I'm not.

Like the Bard said "unto thine own self be true".

Realistically yes. But, if I'm with other people (that I like) I'm generally happier, and therefore act differently. But in other situations, yes. We all do (99%) of us

In real life, all the time, especially in group settings. People will always get me polite and nice and therefore not know the real me, unless they get in a serious argument with me, and prove me we can understand each other even in angry/stressed-out situations. This is when they get my respect and I'll lower my guard and be a little more myself around them. Other than that, I'm emotionally very closed off and unavailable in most group settings.

Latest posts

Back