Do You Believe In "Soul Mates"?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No.

That's just a myth.

I think a lot of the problem with society is that we think there is someone out there that was made just for us. Then, we look, and look...and look. and AHA! We think we've found them! At long last! and then 5 years later...you meet another woman "maybe she is my soul mate. *develops justification for an affair*.

I think what we really should look for is someone that we can tolerate and get along with pretty easily, someone we can develop a deep long lasting friendship and respect for because in reality, there are a lot of people we'd get along fairly well with in a relationship.

Falling in love is another myth. only 5% of relationships stay in love like a heady rush feeling that everyone gets at the beginning of a relationship, the other 95% settle into something else. I don't understand why people put so much emphasis on falling in love. :/

Soul mates, just another way of saying "love at first sight", which is another way of saying "I'm really attracted to this person".

According to the definitions I've read, I would like to think such a thing existed, though I doubt it will be found in my lifetime. Such notions are plainly illusory.

Fraid not.

And the sad thing is, whoever you end up being with. From a strictly objective point of view; with the odds turned against you there will pretty much always be a better person for you out there than the one who you are with. Good thing love is highly subjective. In a way anyone who you end up spending a significant portion of your life with in happiness was/is sort of a soul mate.

SophiaGrace said:
Falling in love is another myth. only 5% of relationships stay in love like a heady rush feeling that everyone gets at the beginning of a relationship, the other 95% settle into something else. I don't understand why people put so much emphasis on falling in love. :/

Falling in love is to me important at the start of a relationship. The memories you make in that period are of substantial importance later on as a relation progresses into more settled values such as comfort, trust and tolerance. Even though I see how the feeling of being in love can diminish or even disappear over time. I still hope that if I ever end up being together with the same person for a long period of time, I can still remember how she made me feel in very the beginning. I hope the same would go for her. I think that would severely reduce the risk of one going into an affair because of the happy hormone rush of someone new. Falling in love is not entirely a myth in that aspect.

If "soul mate" is another term for "good-great match", then yes.
If it means "that one and only", then no.

My heart says yes, but my brain says "stop being so retarded". :p

I agree with Christina, though - if soulmates exist, they can also turn up as friends.

I used to think that was true, now I know that I choose who to be with and I choose to make him my soulmate

Does love even exist? Much less soul mates... It is all just some chemical reaction and belief.

The conclusion from a life of romantic failure is that romance is a bunch of crap, and in that smelly pile lay "soul mates". Romance, the way is shown on most hollywood movies and stories, is at least unrealistic... ppl don't act that way.

Felix said:
The conclusion from a life of romantic failure is that romance is a bunch of crap, and in that smelly pile lay "soul mates". Romance, the way is shown on most hollywood movies and stories, is at least unrealistic... ppl don't act that way.

Romance has always been about one's pure fantasies, since medieval times. People fool themselves into believing their fanciful desires are true, and they will put every hope and effort towards achieving the same fabrications of lovers in a story. A lie they will live and die for, usually in vain. Only love, in its simple manifestation, is real.

DreamerDeceiver said:
Romance has always been about one's pure fantasies, since medieval times. People fool themselves into believing their fanciful desires are true, and they will put every hope and effort towards achieving the same fabrications of lovers in a story. A lie they will live and die for, usually in vain. Only love, in its simple manifestation, is real.

Yeah well I did believe my own fanciful desires were true, and finding them I crashed into a brick wall... then i would swear at every movie/tv serie that deals with love in a unrealistic way...

I still hope to feel love, but I think I'm more realistic now, or at least as realistic as I can be...

Latest posts

Back