Do you find it hard to

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isthatso

Trannie
Reaction score
hide your contempt for some people?

I find my acting skills are really tested at work sometimes. Self-absorbed boring talkaholics who hog the limelight or charmers who are always manipulating and scheming. Their real character hidden to most except the few who are victims of their secret harassments.

It 's a real stretch anyway. Hard to pretend you actually tolerate their company.I feel so false laughing at their haughty humour. But I gotta survive in the workplace too.

Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm good at hiding it or if they're just really ******* ignorant.

I think that I am pretty good at hiding it. Some people would be shocked if they knew what I was really thinking about them at times.

I have many situations like this, almost everyday. my workplace is enhabitaded by people of varying ages who act like teenagers when they are grouped together. When I have a conversation with anyone on their own their consistent ability to exaggerate their machoness, skill or life in general is astounding. I used to like some of the people that I worked with, but after a while I learnt they're children. I know the problem is me and my view towards them but the people I work with are so intolerant to anyone who is different and/or who chooses not to go along with the group like a drone.
You are not alone, smile

Smile for fun, smile when they're looking at you and talking or laughing, smile when your day is going bad, then get home and smile, and then realise your smiling and smile because your smiling, it does improve your mood.

At the end of the day be happy and comfortable with yourself, and SMILE!

I have fart contests at work. I think I might be among the people that other people hate.

I work in IT support, of which 99% is over the phone.

Due to the nature of the company I work for, several customers are total arsehole execs (mostly the sales execs and their PAs for the "don't you know who I am?!" brigade) .

I can fake the calm and okay voice just fine with them.... thanks to the fact that they cannot see any of the hand gestures they are getting from me at the time ;)

Lady X said:
thanks to the fact that they cannot see any of the hand gestures they are getting from me at the time ;)

The bulk of my interaction with clients is done over the phone also.
I TOTALLY relate to the hand gesture thing! :p If they only knew, lol!

Clean adult sweat said:
I have many situations like this, almost everyday. my workplace is enhabitaded by people of varying ages who act like teenagers when they are grouped together. When I have a conversation with anyone on their own their consistent ability to exaggerate their machoness, skill or life in general is astounding. I used to like some of the people that I worked with, but after a while I learnt they're children. I know the problem is me and my view towards them but the people I work with are so intolerant to anyone who is different and/or who chooses not to go along with the group like a drone.
You are not alone, smile

Smile for fun, smile when they're looking at you and talking or laughing, smile when your day is going bad, then get home and smile, and then realise your smiling and smile because your smiling, it does improve your mood.

At the end of the day be happy and comfortable with yourself, and SMILE!

Sounds like you know what I'm talking about. I work with children disguised as adults . But I don't remember the school playground being this nasty!

Lady X said:
I work in IT support, of which 99% is over the phone.

Due to the nature of the company I work for, several customers are total arsehole execs (mostly the sales execs and their PAs for the "don't you know who I am?!" brigade) .

I can fake the calm and okay voice just fine with them.... thanks to the fact that they cannot see any of the hand gestures they are getting from me at the time ;)

Now I understand why one of my work colleagues (an ex sales area manager) is such a vainglorious moron.

Sounds like you know what I'm talking about. I work with children disguised as adults . But I don't remember the school playground being this nasty!

That's what age does to everyone, people learn how to better irk others the older they/we get. I can only speak from my own experiences, with these situations ignorance IS bliss, well that and acceptance of others, you cant control them. And sure acknowledgement of what is going on and pondering on the social ramifications is human but I try not to over think it, my day goes well because I choose it, because I have the strength and fortitude to not let anyone or anything beat me.

I don't find it hard because I don't hide it. Yes sir, I will tell you that you are an ******* if you being an *******.

I'm blunt like that.

Generally speaking I only speak to a handful of people in reality, but there's plenty of people I see from a day to day basis be it via external media sources like the humble Television Set, or simply from looking out of the window etc. In fact someone I have absolutely no time for is my half-sister, but we won't really go into that. Inside my mind, I cannot simply set aside my feelings, but due to my nature it simply cascades my chance of speaking to them from "unlikely" to "impossible" if the situation ever required it etc, like being alone in a room with them. It fully extends to my ability to ignore someone in need of major medical attention, which I've done in the past to a neighbour of mine I didn't much like. Another story.

Online I try to avoid confrontation though because it's generally never good. Getting worked up about things is fine, and everyone has their own opinion, but when it comes to expressing your opinion over someone elses, especially in the confrontational matter, as much as in my mind the fires are blazing and I'm mentally wishing I had a button to murder someone with, I generally don't let it get the best of me. If that makes sense.

Just simply withdraw into myself, I won't try to trick myself into thinking it'll be okay or said person isn't going to be a complete prick today/for much longer, nor will I attempt to bring my utter contempt for someone to their attention. It'll change how I react to them though, but that's as far as it goes.

However I find myself unable to watch Jeremy Kyle without wanting to break something or ruining my mood for the rest of the day, if that is relevant?

I do not think I have the ability to hide emotions, I can keep a straight face some times at work but might look angry or uninterested. My coworkers tend to not bother me so much, since I am the only female there I appreciate that :shy:

My workplace is the opposite - introverts mainly. Most are nice, decent enough people. There has been a few 'arty' graduate types through here, you know intellectual pretence yet fundamentally shallow and judge others by appearance. There aren't any nasty cliques thank God.

I don't work much these days. For some of us, the workplace is the only opportunity to meet new people. Young, old, gay, black, white, non english speaking, disabled and so on. Most places have the melting pot.
I miss all those people now! Strange isn't it. It's like we need people to complain About so we can appreciate our alone time better. Peace and quiet becomes more valuable. When you have too much peace and quiet, the silence becomes deafening.

hide your contempt for some people?

I find my acting skills are really tested at work sometimes. Self-absorbed boring talkaholics who hog the limelight or charmers who are always manipulating and scheming. Their real character hidden to most except the few who are victims of their secret harassments.

It 's a real stretch anyway. Hard to pretend you actually tolerate their company.I feel so false laughing at their haughty humour. But I gotta survive in the workplace too.

Sometimes.

As a kid, I hid this feeling, because I felt like I wasn't physically powerful enough, good enough at any skilled activity, didn't come from a wealthy background, or had enough friends, to be openly defiant of "the social hierarchy".

But I always hated it. I always hated the arrogance of people that were just born with the right body and background, thinking it made them superior and given some kind of divine right to rule over, and make the rules, for the rest of us, when all they really were was lucky - like lotto winners, claiming that they are geniuses. I always felt, why do we have to listen to them, conform to their bs? Why should I buy into their game, what's in it for me? Nothing, that's what. Being low status. I thought, screw it.

I'm also contemptuous of contemptuous people. I'm not talking about you, OP. I'm talking about bullies, people like the ones you described. I've even seen it happen on here, and there have been a few odious examples where I've said enough is enough, and I've refused to just sit by and let the bullying continue.

I don't believe turning the other cheek works. It might not be polite, and there is a right way to do it, you can't blow up like a maniac, but sometimes politeness isn't the answer, and I feel like being assertive is necessary.

Sometimes.

As a kid, I hid this feeling, because I felt like I wasn't physically powerful enough, good enough at any skilled activity, didn't come from a wealthy background, or had enough friends, to be openly defiant of "the social hierarchy".

But I always hated it. I always hated the arrogance of people that were just born with the right body and background, thinking it made them superior and given some kind of divine right to rule over, and make the rules, for the rest of us, when all they really were was lucky - like lotto winners, claiming that they are geniuses. I always felt, why do we have to listen to them, conform to their bs? Why should I buy into their game, what's in it for me? Nothing, that's what. Being low status. I thought, screw it.

I'm also contemptuous of contemptuous people. I'm not talking about you, OP. I'm talking about bullies, people like the ones you described. I've even seen it happen on here, and there have been a few odious examples where I've said enough is enough, and I've refused to just sit by and let the bullying continue.

I don't believe turning the other cheek works. It might not be polite, and there is a right way to do it, you can't blow up like a maniac, but sometimes politeness isn't the answer, and I feel like being assertive is necessary.
A lot of what you say, resonates with me. Forgive me if I get full of myself here sometimes. 😄😎

Latest posts

Back