Do you know anything about Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sometimes

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has experience with Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, and if so, is it good or useful?

I've a couple of the Russ Harris books: "The Reality Slap," and, "The Happiness Trap." Turns out I have a third one, "The confidence gap.' heh heh.

I haven't finished any of them. If some one uses any of the following acronyms, 'DBT,' 'CBT,' EMDR,' 'ACT,' I pretty much assume they have no idea what the f*ck they are doing; but managed to get through 4 to 6 years of college, and are paid well enough for it not to be too important, eitherway...

My b*tching aside...?

It's a practical tool, I suppose. I guess I struggled with the whole commitment part: haven't finished a one of the books. I was seeing a counselor, who, seemed decent enough, saw another one as well, both were masters degree types. First thing they did was recommend books; loads of books. Which, I didn't really understand. Like if some one was bleeding from the leg, would you give them a pamphlet on how to apply pressure? lol

My advice would be the following (take it with a grain of salt). Do the reading first if you can. There is a lot of literature, on the various modalities. As for the counselor part. I really don't know. If after three sessions you aren't feeling it, quit wasting your time and drop 'em. I'd say you'll probably know within the first few minutes, but, when you are really suffering, and there's no options, desperation is desperation...

As for a more objective opinion? ACT is a tool. I think it's one of the newer ones. Like any tool, it largely depends on what it's being used for, and the skill of the person operating it. ACT is alright.

There's three jokes I like concerning the art of psychology (in my opinion it is an art, not a science; or at least (and at best), more art, than science).

"If you think you need to have your head examined, you ought to see a shrink!"

"How many psychologists does it take to change a light bulb?" "One; but, the light bulb has to want to change."

A disturbed man walks in to see a psychiatrist and says, "Doc, I don't know what to do! One minute I'm a teepee, the next minute I'm a wigwam! Then a teepee, then a wigwam! Which is it!? What am I?"
The doc replies, "Relax man! Calm yourself. It's simple. Your two tents."

In my optimistic opinion, genuine transformative change, is possible; but, I think it tends to have it's own schedule. Where there is a will, there is a way.

Last edited:
Thank you for that. I was wondering if ACT had any value before I spent money on the books. In my life I've gone through various counsellors and therapists, none of which really stuck. I've started seeing one who I might like because he actually tells me about things I don't understand, like about friendship. I can't stand the ones that have no knowledge to impart and just listen. It's like talking to yourself - and I can do that for free.

I'm bad at reading so I opt for audiobooks. Turns out all the ones you mentioned are available on audio but they're not in the library so I have to buy them. I was wondering if it was worth paying for the audiobook.

It's funny you should mention EMDR - I tried that for something and it ended up a total failure. I can't claim the failure was the fault of EMDR since I was trying to use it for something it isn't really used for, but it was just a thing I tried.

Thank you for that. I was wondering if ACT had any value before I spent money on the books. In my life I've gone through various counsellors and therapists, none of which really stuck. I've started seeing one who I might like because he actually tells me about things I don't understand, like about friendship. I can't stand the ones that have no knowledge to impart and just listen. It's like talking to yourself - and I can do that for free.

I'm bad at reading so I opt for audiobooks. Turns out all the ones you mentioned are available on audio but they're not in the library so I have to buy them. I was wondering if it was worth paying for the audiobook.

It's funny you should mention EMDR - I tried that for something and it ended up a total failure. I can't claim the failure was the fault of EMDR since I was trying to use it for something it isn't really used for, but it was just a thing I tried.
of those three books... I think I tried, 'the reality slap,' first, and didn't like it too much; but, then I found I actually liked, "The Happiness Trap,' quite a bit more, despite being told they are pretty much the same thing.

I also liked the confidence gap.

Based on my experience I'd probably recommend,' The Happiness Trap,' then.

Russ Harris probably has several more books, (Act With Love) might be suitable as well, seems it deals with relationships.

good luck @Sometimes

If it's affordable, I'd say 1 or 2 books are worth a shot *shrug*.

I'm listening to "Coast to Coast AM," tonight... again.. haha

Tonight's guest is, uhmm, "Friedemann Schaub" author of, "The Empowerment Solution."

...Thought of you, @Sometimes, based on some of your recent posts...

Anywho.. I'm burnt out on self-help, myself, at the moment; but, so far, from hearing him talk, he seems to have knowledge of Nervous Disorders, anxiety, timidness, people pleasing, etc.., to some degree; probably knows what he's talking about, for the most part.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back