Social battery

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murakami_1

Reaction score
For some reason my social battery has become very low recently. I get tired more easily from social interactions.

I dont even want to think about them haha

Do you guys have any tips on improving this? Or any experiences with
I am becoming (to my own fault) a bad friend by cancelling everything or isolating myself without letting anyone know anything.

Yeah you are right though, I need to do some self reflection. There isnt really an easy answer for such stuff I suposse.

Honestly if someone came to me with advice about this I'd probably know what to tell them but for some reason its always different when you have to tell yourself something hahahah

Fvck no. 😂
I've got an upper maximum of about 12 hours.
Literally just enough to get me through exactly one long day at work.
After that I'm inclined to let the world behind me burn until I wake next.

For some reason my social battery has become very low recently. I get tired more easily from social interactions.

I dont even want to think about them haha

Do you guys have any tips on improving this? Or any experiences with
I am becoming (to my own fault) a bad friend by cancelling everything or isolating myself without letting anyone know anything.
BTW I totally get this.
Sometimes I just want to be left alone.
A friend of mine (one of my monger crew) has gotten used to hanging out once a week (at least).
I'm OK with it, and he's a good guy, but he seems to REALLY look forward to it.
I get it. We are all kind of lonely, but once a week, every week, is a lot for me.
So I find myself making excuses to not meet up.
Sometimes I just want to go home after work and go to sleep early.
So I totally get this dilemma.

When you've got an empty life and there isn't much to talk about, socializing would probably seem like a chore. I can't say I have the problem of established acquaintances being too eager though, more like the opposite. My social 'opportunities' these days seems to consist of random strangers at various meetups.

We all need time to recharge. I wouldn't feel too bad.

I get a headache after saying too many words to some of the people in my life, sometimes. I think it's a mental strain.

Dunno what to do about it...

A wise friend I once knew, told me a story about some he knew.

This person he was talking about was obviously depressed. He began isolating, ignoring friends, and stuff. The moral of the story, my wise friend was trying to impress upon me, is, 'STAY IN TOUCH.' The friend he was talking about, is some one he lost touch with, and lost friendships because of his actions...

Don't isolate. It's self-destructive.

I usually seem to find it difficult to take people up on their sage advice.

I think it can be very healthy to close one's doors now and then, perhaps even for extended periods; but, don't go dark on people, especially if you are fortunate enough to have them.

Go up into the mountains, alone. Meditate for a while. Wander off into the woods, for a while. Get lost. But, keep checking your mail, and your messages. And let people know you're still alive. Let them know you're going off into the woods, so they can find you if you get lost out there.

I don't keep in touch with that old friend anymore... He was a lovely person, though. :)

Last edited:
Sometimes I just want to go home after work and go to sleep early.
So I totally get this dilemma.
Oh yeah I can imagine, work is tiresome and afterwards some alone time is necessary. Well not only that, not being in the mood is a choice too. What kind of stuff have you told him as excuses I am kind of curious.
People think I have serious sleep problems because I always "fall asleep".

I don’t know the answer. I wonder how you’d feel if you had nobody interested in you, nobody inviting you anywhere. At least you have choices.
Well I used to not have anyone in my life and it was really hard so I changed myself up big time. Now it seems I have a lot of people around me but that's it. No one knows me... and I get tired of that, well not only that. IDK. Anyway I need to think more about this.

Don't isolate. It's self-destructive.
Yes in moments of clarity I do realise this. Sadly sometimes it's harder to follow up on clear moments. But yes isolation is something you should never do and it should be a warning signal in others I think....

Sorry I must ask @TropicalStarfish do you have a lot of experience with isolating yourself?

Sorry I must ask @TropicalStarfish do you have a lot of experience with isolating yourself?
Hmm, I don't think so, at least not for the majority of my life. I never really dealt with any of the stuff that falls under the common umbrella term, "depression,' until recently in my life.

But, I think I can see some of the typical patterns...

I've heard extremely depressed people talk about it though. I knew a guy in a hospital ward who explained that he didn't tell _anyone_ he was in there, and didn't want them to know, because he didn't want to, 'bother,' them, or be a burden, or something silly like that.

Just silly things like that, that the cloud of despair, distorts perceptions.

So, it's weird, it's can be like you feel you have this sort of, 'communicable disease,' so you quarantine yourself; but, it probably only makes things worse. Yet, the opposite probably isn't helping much either, else one wouldn't try to get away.

*shrugs*

I guess in my experience, I've learned that... Sometimes, it's better to face the harsh pain, alone, rather than reach out to people who, in their frustration, will only make it worse. But, there is a balance to be found there. You don't want to fall off the map. Just get lost for a little while, then come up for air periodically; and, make sure while you are down there, diving in the depths, you study yourself a bit...

I dunno tho...

A little off-topic but I couldn't quite put my finger on why I take so long to reply to my messages, until I read this thread. Yet at the same time, I'll continue to post. I feel like it must look like I'm just blowing the messages off, but it's not like that.

It's not that I'm not interested in replying, I am. I'm just burned out on life, and can't focus enough to be present in the messages, to handle them with care. Posting, I don't have to be as mentally careful with, I can just say whatever is on my mind, I don't have to be conscious, don't have to have my "head in the game". I can just wing it.

Anyway. Those were just my thoughts upon first reading this thread.

When I feel I'm low and I have a meeting or going to, I limit the time. Just say smth like "I should go in 30 minutes" or if I invite people to my place I also say them we are limited in time. I don't explain it. And when time is passed I say: "I'm sorry but".
When I know it's only for an hour-two(or any other limited time, it can be 15 minutes when things are really bad) it's easier for me. I feel more safe in some way.

Latest posts

Back