Do you suffer or have you suffered from?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you suffer or have you suffered from?

• Shyness

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Low self-esteem

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Loneliness

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Bullying at school or at work

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • difficulties to make new friends

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • difficulties to find a romantic partner

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
Spy said:
AnonymousMe said:
You should have added "Avoidant Personality Disorder," it's basically the 6 options combined, plus with many other symptoms, and yes, I think I suffer from that.

What do you mean exactly by that? Can you explain a little bit more?

Well… I discovered that disorder when I bought the now-outdated DSM-IV. I’m going to quote directly from Wiki here some of its symptoms that I definitely have.

1. Avoidance of social interaction, because of feelings of inadequacy and/or feeling inferior, unworthy to others, despite having a strong desire for close relationships.
2. Hypersensitivity to criticism.
3. Lonely and/or unwanted self-perception.
4. Self-imposed social isolation.
5. Use fantasy as a form of escapism, imagining things like being part of an affectionate relationship or simply anything else just to interrupt painful thoughts.
6. High self-consciousness and mistrust on others, they can still form relationships with others, but only if they believe they will not be rejected.
7. Low self-esteem and/or self-loathing, unable to identify traits within themselves that are considered positive within society.
8. Problems with occupational functioning
9. Self-critical about their problems relating to others.
10. Emotional distancing related to intimacy. Avoids physical contact because it has been associated with an unpleasant or painful stimulus.

1. I mainly act cold in front of others, because I don’t want anyone to know me, I don’t want anyone to know how little’s going on with my life and my limited amount of interests. That makes me a naturally boring person, who would want to be around that kind of individual anyway? The ones in my imagination maybe.
2. Even the smallest scolding from either my mom or dad make me cry like a baby inside and shuts me off for the rest of the day, with me imagining my troublesome future.
3. Same answer from 1.
4. I really don’t like to go outside that much, because I always see love-birds EVERYWHERE (I’m talking about couples, not literal lovebirds). My room’s been my whole world for about nearly 4 years now; I’ve come in terms with its advantages and disadvantages of being inside almost all the time.
5. My escapist imagination is actually so creative, that I can make short stories off of them! Aside from that, yeah, my mind is often elsewhere to get me distracted from things I don’t like to see. Ironically, I sometimes imagine having deredere girlfriends (Just FYI, deredere is a Japanese term that means “extreme lovingness/affection,” in other words, being lovestruck).
6. Growing up, my dad always said to me to find “good friends,” which to him were others that didn’t do illegal activities and that liked school. That’s obviously changed now that I’m an adult, so now, “good friends” to me are people that don’t mind my flaws that outweigh my strengths. Also, I kind of don’t trust women, they can be VERY mischievous.
7. I’m chubby, butt-ugly, like the internet, anime and video games. Enough said.
8. My dad often times asks me for help in his desk job, I can handle the easy things, but can’t do the activities he daily does. If I can’t manage doing something that requires being inside the conformity of my house, then how will I elsewhere? College taught me that early when I dropped out.
9. I always get afraid when others ask me for help. I’m not very smart and I am physically weak, so whatever they ask for, there’s some guarantee of me being useless, except if it’s something small, like opening a jar or something.
10. I’ve never been involved in any physical intimacy, so I’m not sure if #10 applies to me, but growing up, I always had renal-insufficiency and there were sometimes when doctors had to insert a catheter through my penis. My sex organs have only been touched with medical intentions, it makes me very uncomfortable when anyone does it now, those “anyones” are still doctors, so who knows how I’ll react with a girl who’s into me, if that ever happens, of course.

Get it?

Latest posts

Back