Does anyone prefer being alone?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like being alone, I`ve longed to be alone in the last couple of years, because there`s too much stress, noise and pressure around me. People don`t understand this, they think I`m depressed, maybe I am, but when I am alone I can find my inner peace I so desperately need in order to get balance back in my life and get over the amount of suffering I`ve been through. I`m not antisocial, I have a sense of humour, I like going out, but right now, alone. When walking or listening to music I can clarify my thoughts, rediscover myself and hear my inner voice about what I truly want. Even when doing nothing, when I am alone, I feel like my wounds are healing in this solitude. When I won`t feel well being alone, I`ll know the time has come for me to start socializing again. Then I`ll seek the company of people again. Until then, I prefer not to.

I am an introvert, so I like being alone...but I also like being with other people.

People assume that, because I'm shy and quiet, that I want to be alone...but I don't. I don't want to be lonely, but sometimes I need my space.

I like having alone time since I am an introvert too, but the problem is Ive just been alone constantly for a long time. I still want some social interaction though, but Ive gotten so used to being alone that being around other people feels like work and its hard for me to feel comfortable.

For me overinvolvement is a nightmare. I need alone time to recharge my batteries and my need for solitude has actually increased in the last couple of years. I used to love to hang out with my friends, to always have activities, but lately I prefer peace and quiet. I've been seriously wounded in the past and now I need to heal and recover.

It depends. I am very lonely, but I would prefer to be alone than to be with someone I had nothing in common with emotionally, pschologically or in terms of hobbies and interests, because being with someone like this is even lonelier. I hate it when I am with someone and have to force the conversation along, or when I say something which matters to me and they don't get it at all.

roguewave said:
ForEverythingAReason said:
Absolutely agree 100%. That should be my signature, I get accused of being "miserable" by people in work just because some days I'm not laughing or joking, it's called being "quiet".

Hahahahaha!

Here's the one I love:

"Why are you so quiet?"

Hmm...

It pisses me off, why can't people understand that just if you are quiet one day compared to others *it doesn't mean there's a crisis FFS* :D

I quite often love being alone. If I socialize for more than three to four evenings within the same week, I'll feel exhausted and drained. Coming home from a long day at work to an empty flat isn't sad or depressing; it's bliss. Sure it makes me feel lonely, but it beats getting annoyed at people who are nothing but friendly and kind, and for no reason at all.

I don't mind being alone. Keeps me away from the high school, drama filled, he said-she said bullshit seems to flow from the group of friends I have.

~ +1

~ Furthermore, I would add being intellectually & spiritually (as in meditation, contemplation of inner self & others, nature, and the universe) connected with one another.

~Translation: I will be alone for the rest of my life because it is almost impossible for a person to find their twin flame. (Looks is immaterial to me btw.)

Tiina63 said:
It depends. I am very lonely, but I would prefer to be alone than to be with someone I had nothing in common with emotionally, pschologically or in terms of hobbies and interests, because being with someone like this is even lonelier. I hate it when I am with someone and have to force the conversation along, or when I say something which matters to me and they don't get it at all.

It's funny how things work out sometimes. I used to prefer being alone and would often make up excuses to my friends so I didn't have to go party with them. I would also ignore phone calls most of the time because I didn't like being around people very often. Now that I am completely alone and don't have those friends calling me anymore I want it. I would give anything to have a buddy give me a shout and say hey Taylor come to my house tonight for a party... too bad I pushed all those people away so it was my own fault.

Topics like this are exactly why I joined this forum. I used to be a really social person, but I found that type of life really annoys me. A semester more than a year ago I dropped out of college after realizing the only person I care about is myself. Since then I've been working as a delivery driver, and living alone in my apartment. I go to the occasional party, tell a funny joke at work, smile at people at the grocery store, strike up a clever conversation with a pretty woman on the sidewalk, have good bottle of scotch with my brother or an old friend, and be an all around good guy that people want to have around. I never let anyone get close though. Because of that some people are thinking I'm a super interesting guy with some awesome secret. Ever since I started keeping myself to myself life has never been better. Since I'm the only person that matters I find myself with overflowing confidence, and although I keep myself to myself other people seem to be more than willing to give themselves away when I want them to. Lonely can be a really fulfilling thing. The only thing I really miss is being close to women.

I do enjoy having time for myself (which is how I get by without having any real social interaction for weeks) as I am an introvert, but I also appreciate and want to have a social aspect of my life as well. I don't need a lot of friends. One friend, one person who I feel a real connection with is enough for me.

flaneur said:
I know I’ll get heat for this, but does anyone often prefer to be alone? It recently hit me, because I was invited to stay with some friends at D.C. but realized that I don’t really want to go. I’ve been feeling this way a lot lately. It’s just too much of a hassle, forcing myself to be entertained and be entertaining. I prefer music, books and movies. It’s not that I don’t like people, but I just don’t find most forms of socializing entertaining. Maybe if more of my friends were interested in what I found interesting, I wouldn’t feel this way. I don’t see this as a negative thing, because I have a very Buddhist perspective on life. The feeling of not desiring anything and having all you need is, I think, a far greater bliss than chasing pleasures that give you a lift for about a week. One of my friends hit the nail on the head when she said the following: “Most people think I’m a loner, but I’m just so awesome that I prefer my own company.”

Basically, I prefer forums and Facebook, where I can do things on my own time and not worry about keeping up impressions and all that other nonsense.

Edit: I think a lot of people like the idea of company more than the company itself, that is, they just want to feel like they're appreciated and desired. I'm not saying all of you do this, and I acknowledge that the desire for company is often a very human trait. For the rest of you: Why not skip a step and work on yourself before seeking others for validation? At least, that's what I'm trying to do right now: become a better person on my own.

Please don't attack me.

I must admit...I envy you. I wish I was that content with my solitude.
I prefer to be alone in the mental aspect. I hate depending on others, because likely, they will be gone before I know it. They will end up stabbing me in the back or doing the disappearing act like always, but I love conversation and sometimes interaction.

Whenever my friends drag me outside I often end up bored. I occasionally have a good time if we do something new or risky but normally I just smoke my shisha, a few cigars, drink a lot of vodka and talk, which doesn`t seem worth going out for since I can do those things at home if I want to. It also doesn`t help that whenever I socialize in the real world I have to speak french which gets annoying after 5 mintues.

So I guess my answer is, I don`t enjoy being alone but I don`t enjoy being social either
And most of the time I do prefer to be alone

When I need to introspect or sort out my emotions about things, I would say I prefer to be completely alone and in no risks of being disturbed, indeed.

Latest posts

Back