Driving on the freeway.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyneco

Reaction score
Any tips for beginners? I've been driving for two years and for the most part I'm, uh, not a bad driver. The only thing I'm still queasy about is doing a lane change. I have mild OCD and I have to check the mirror and look over my shoulder multiple times before I dare make my move. While doing that, I sometimes fail to realize that the car of me isn't moving anymore. Sometimes I misjudge the speed of the car in the other lane or fail to see the car in my blind spot. Either way, the 146 times I did a lane change during busy hours I got honked and/or the finger 137 times. I always thought I'd never drive on the freeway, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Help!

A few suggestions...
1. On the Freeway, faster tends to be safer (as long as it's not -too- fast! :p). You're more likely to get hit driving slower than the rest of traffic.
2. Get your blinker going early and wait for a fair space in the next lane over.
3. Merge over gradually. Not slow, but not fast. Too slow and the other drivers will try to get by you, too fast and you'll get flipped off more ;)
4. Keep being careful! :) Just look in front of you, too.
5. Accelerate as you make your change as long as it won't cause you to hit the car infront of you.
6. Remember the 3 second following rule.

All in all, I hate driving on the freeway too. I'm a country boy. :) If you have a 2 lane highway/one way street anywhere, practice there first would be my suggestion.

I almost honeysuckle in my pants the first time i drove in San Degio.
I almost honeysuckle in my pants again a couple of time on I-5.
They even called I-5 formula1 racing for a while..lmao

Sometimes you really have to be an agressive driver while
on the freeway in the city

Go with the flow of traffic...yes...I know it's shouldn't be over 90 mph.lol
One time my speedometer was pegged...lol
A CHP came up...pull over a car that was going too slow becuase
she was causing everybody to switch lanes.
She was probably pissing in her pants becuase of the insane bumper to bumper traffic going 85-100 mph...lol
The speed limit is only 75 or 65 mph.
That's why you'll hear about those insane fatallies every so often.
20-30 people dies in a pile up.

No evasive steering on the freeway...lol
No slamming on the breaks when you're hualing ass.

keep a good distance from the car in front of you.
It takes a long ass time for your car to stop when going fast.lol
Plus if the person in front of you has a blow out...you'll have time.

Use your truning signals....early ..lol
Look over your shoulders to makesure...
Trust me I almost swiped people a couple of times..even after i looked.lol

Stay away from the semi trucks...trust me...they can't see you.
I drove a semi truck for a little while...I almost honeysuckle in my pants
every other day. I had a hard enough time trying to keep the truck
in lane...then to have to worry about some little 4 banger sneaking up
on the tail or side. There's major blinde spots on a semi truck.
If I've been driving a semi all day or at the end of my shift...I'm freaken tired as heck.
So....My driving probably will suck and i won't be as aware of everything.
...If you pass a semi...pass it, pass it. A couple of hundred feet before
you switch lane again.

whatever you do....DO NOT slam on your breaks if you go off the shoulders....let off of the gas.
sometimes you might even need to give it gas...to get you out of trouble.
If you slam on the breaks...you'll flip or roll your car.

slow way the heck down during and after rain...hydro planing ain't fun.

If you live where it snows...be aware of Black Ice...moslty on bridges

Well its better to be safe than sorry, some people are really bad drivers and should be more careful

myself included, I was in a car accident about a year ago, not something im proud about, but learned a lesson.

if anything, just honk and yell "get out of my way Motherf***ers!!!" yeah, i cuss a lot when I drive...so dont listen to me about that one haha

But yeah I agree with Brian, you should practice before getting on the freeway. Theres a lot of idiots on the freeway. Be careful and youll be alright.

Lonesome Crow said:
keep a good distance from the car in front of you.

Brian said:
6. Remember the 3 second following rule.

How do you manage that? I know there is suppose to be a three second gap between you and the vehicle in front of you but even a two second gap seems to have people pull into it so that you are on their bumper. Back off their bumper and another person jumps in.

Maybe that is why the guy behind me feels compelled to follow so closely that i can't even see his headlight in the mirror.

And i used to be puzzled how 30 car pile ups could happen.

Minus said:
How do you manage that? I know there is suppose to be a three second gap between you and the vehicle in front of you but even a two second gap seems to have people pull into it so that you are on their bumper. Back off their bumper and another person jumps in.

Maybe that is why the guy behind me feels compelled to follow so closely that i can't even see his headlight in the mirror.

Well, for me it's easier because locally our two highways have limits of 55mph :p But yeah, that is an issue. Just try to do your best I'd say.

I love it when people tailgate me though. I do not in the least to jam my break pedal and watch them freak the fresia out trying to slow down.

If they ever actually do hit me, their insurance is getting me a new car. How is it my fault? I didn't want to hit that deer I saw. :D

Some people around here (I wish I had 'em) have what's called 'fresia You Lights' on their pickups. Rear facing spotlights that they can turn on when they're being tailgated. They back off in a hurry when they suddenly can't see jack honeysuckle except those bright ass lights.

But yeah. I hate tailgaters. If you're gonna ride my ass, at least pull my hair...

Brian said:
I love it when people tailgate me though. I do not in the least to jam my break pedal and watch them freak the fresia out trying to slow down.

I gave that up. I figured the hassle of getting the vehicle fixed or replaced wasn't worth it even though they would be paying.

I mostly do it in the hopes of some sort of insurance fluke resulting in me getting a Corvette, or a big pickup. :)

Learn to read the traffic after a while driving on the freeway you should pick up how they change lanes.

I was honeysuckle scared when I first moved to Auckland which is a big city (not compared to america though) and I hated driving, I would be nervous and totally hate changing lanes.

But yeah what Brian said is really good so take some advice from him.

In Auckland the rule was indicate then move lanes as long as you picked up speed, cars would let you in it was the rule of thumb. But I found when I moved to another city at the other end of the country 3 seconds was needed and the driving speed was much slower 99 percent of the traffic followed the speed rules compared to the other city where you pretty much had to change lanes fast.

I can understand how you fret I've been known to do that too, just takes me a while to settle in. If your getting the fingers or being sworn at chances are that you might be a slow driver, do the best that you can and hope for the best.

I passed my test last November and have had to car share with my hubby for the last year,however, his car is a lot bigger then the one i passed my test in so i ended up having a rather bad phobia.
However, i have to now drive 25 miles a day there and back for my job, so after a week of intence coaching from hubs, and him following me out in his van ive got a bit more confidence.
Also i gave the car a name and i feel happyer driving him around now.
We dont have freeways in england, but have slightly smaller versions which i must admit ive not used much, but the advice the other guys have given you is realy good.
Happy motoring!

When did the 2 second rule become the 3 second rule? You do realize that 3 seconds at highway speeds is over 250 feet? I do realize that more distance is safer, but that's a little excessive and just asking for people to pull in front of you or get angry. Even the insurance companies recommend 2 seconds.

Latest posts

Back