Drugs and our brain...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tedgresham

Writer, Thinker, Trouble Maker
Reaction score
I've been on Gabapentin for close to two years, forget exactly. I'm curious if anybody else here takes it. I ask because with the bottles I get warnings about loneliness, depression, suicidal thoughts, big red warnings to call the doctor if I have them. They came standard with me long before I started on Gabby but they could create the feelings and mood that brings people here. It does fresia with my head some, I'm just not sure how much. Anybody else take Gabby?

So, are our medications making things worse? Is the supposed cure as bad as the ailment? I was on codeine for a while and it made me totally nutzoid. Just curious.

tedgresham said:
I've been on Gabapentin for close to two years, forget exactly. I'm curious if anybody else here takes it. I ask because with the bottles I get warnings about loneliness, depression, suicidal thoughts, big red warnings to call the doctor if I have them. They came standard with me long before I started on Gabby but they could create the feelings and mood that brings people here. It does fresia with my head some, I'm just not sure how much. Anybody else take Gabby?

So, are our medications making things worse? Is the supposed cure as bad as the ailment? I was on codeine for a while and it made me totally nutzoid. Just curious.
Are you using it for pain relief?

LoneKiller said:

I was going to explain why but I thought it might be irrelevant and I didn't want to sound like I was looking for sympathy. But yeah, I have some really nasty nerve damage the VA can't figure out but my third doc after I dumped two that made stupid assumptions that didn't work put me on Gabby for it. I can't function without it. Gabby has made it possible for me to live again. But it probably exacts a toll on my mental state.

tedgresham said:
LoneKiller said:

I was going to explain why but I thought it might be irrelevant and I didn't want to sound like I was looking for sympathy. But yeah, I have some really nasty nerve damage the VA can't figure out but my third doc after I dumped two that made stupid assumptions that didn't work put me on Gabby for it. I can't function without it. Gabby has made it possible for me to live again. But it probably exacts a toll on my mental state.
Hi tedgresham. I'm sorry to hear that you are suffering.
I don't know much about painkillers. My mother has nerve damage in her neck, and the doctor prescribes her Demerol. I do know one thing. Painkillers can mess you up mentally with prolonged usage or abuse. I'm not implying that you abuse them.:)

LoneKiller said:
tedgresham said:
LoneKiller said:

Hi tedgresham. I'm sorry to hear that you are suffering.
I don't know much about painkillers. My mother has nerve damage in her neck, and the doctor prescribes her Demerol. I do know one thing. Painkillers can mess you up mentally with prolonged usage or abuse. I'm not implying that you abuse them.:)

Thanks. It's true, pain killers do screwy things. Gabby is the only thing that has worked for me. More than prescribed doesn't do much with this drug. As long as they're working, I'm good to go, at least somewhat. Nerve damage sucks. There's no way to fix it. I'm stuck with this stuff forever. The VA is my only med option and just getting them to listen without making assumptions is a major task. It took a three page letter to the clinic director to get a doc that would listen even a little. Now I have one that will but even she don't really have a clue about what my problem is. She just prescribed Gabby and said see if it works. The VA loves to hand out pills to fix problems.

Don't know about "Gabby",but I've been on Venlofaxine for years,and that definitely screws with your brain,and it's addictive which no one tells you about when they stick you on them! I'm getting off them slowly,but it takes months.

Jilted John said:
Don't know about "Gabby",but I've been on Venlofaxine for years,and that definitely screws with your brain,and it's addictive which no one tells you about when they stick you on them! I'm getting off them slowly,but it takes months.

I looked that drug up. It has the same warnings as Gabby. I think drug companies have a boiler plate "warning" they stick on anything stronger than ibuprofen (and even on that if prescribed) to cover their ass. Better Living Through Drugs, right? That's what the medial profession, overwhelmingly influenced by drug companies, say. I wonder how different this whole world would be if it wasn't for them.

Having said that nobody can have my gabby unless they pry the bottle out of my cold dead fingers. Without it I'd be entirely and completely unable to function. Damned if you do, damned if you don't, right?

Everything we do has some consequence, including the intake of drugs. I've come to try to affect myself in a way that's more functionally efficient and there's a long list of experiments, but for the most part, I think that drugs come in at the least, slightly higher doses than needed. Caffiene definitely affects my mood and its one thing which I take intentionally for its mood effects.

Drug companies don't give two shits about you or anyone else. It's all about the scratch. Nothing else. Because of my past addiction, my doctor is very hesitant to prescribe me medications that have potential for abuse. One time in class I hurt my ankle real bad.

Because of my history with addiction all the ER doctor would give me was high dose Advil. My family doctor agreed with the ER doctor. Once you get labeled as a drug abuser on your medical files, good ******* luck getting anything for pain.

In all fairness, a sprained ankle, however painful, usually doesn't warrant the use of narcotic pain medication.

LoneKiller said:
Drug companies don't give two shits about you or anyone else. It's all about the scratch. Nothing else. Because of my past addiction, my doctor is very hesitant to prescribe me medications that have potential for abuse. One time in class I hurt my ankle real bad.

Because of my history with addiction all the ER doctor would give me was high dose Advil. My family doctor agreed with the ER doctor. Once you get labeled as a drug abuser on your medical files, good ******* luck getting anything for pain.

In all fairness, a sprained ankle, however painful, usually doesn't warrant the use of narcotic pain medication.

Very true, my friend. They tweak the formula and get a new patent when one runs out and then change the name and push it for more dough. Doctors have prescribed stuff to our kids that cost a small fortune. We're lucky our kids have medicaid because they're foster/adopt or we'd be screwed. So many parents let doctors stuff their kids full of stuff. My boy had some really bad mental struggles last hear and they pumped him full of pills costing sometimes twenty/thirty bucks a pill. Just made him worse. I told them to take him off. He got much better. He's just on one med that helps him concentrate and that one costs over a hundred bucks a month. Insane.

I've always hated taking pills. Getting old I'm stuck with them with my blood pressure, and this nerve thing is never going away so I have to take my Gabby to survive. For the rest, my messed up knee and bone spurs, etc., I just live with them except for ibuprofen.

The VA doesn't care about addictions. Pills are the easy way for them. I suspect they create plenty of addicts. I could go in and ask for pain pills and my doc would just hand them out like candy. I've never had an addiction to hard drugs. We just won't mention caffeine or nicotine. lol

As a chemist, I think a particularly interesting quote from Paracelsus is quite apt here:

"All things are poison and nothing [is] without poison; only the dose makes that a thing is no poison."​

The human body is an incredibly, vastly complicated dynamic system. It's almost impossible to influence that system with drugs without creating unwanted side effects because so many processes are interlinked with one another. On top of that, everybody will have a differing physiological condition internally due to everything from age to physical activity and so on, meaning drug effects may vary.

The whole field of pharmological chemistry is concerned with trying to maximise drug benefits while minimising the countless other side effects that can occur when a drug is introduced. This is a hugely difficult task.

Drug companies are often slammed for profiteering and so on, but I think such responses are regularly felt because illnesses provoke emotive reactions. It's easier to see people as evil bastards when they're selling anti-cancer medication at huge prices than other products, but at the end of the day it's the same as any other business.

To produce effective new drugs, astronomical amounts of money must be poured into lab space, lab equipment, training, prolonged safety studies and (perhaps the most enormous expense) hiring and persistently acquiring people who are dedicated workers and smart enough to understand molecular biology and reaction mechanisms.

Combine that with the need for production and distribution, uncertain success (you can not really be sure your drug will be more effective or safer than others already out there until you produce it) and you're looking at huge expenses. This is the logic behind why medicines are often not cheap - I'm sure companies would be happy to sell them cheaper if they cost peanuts to make, but they don't.

As for the original question - it's wise to talk with your doctor when it comes to whether a particular drug is helping you. It may be that your body feels the side effects more than a typical patient for a bunch of reasons, in which case no medication or another drug may be more useful.

TheSolitaryMan said:
As a chemist, I think a particularly interesting quote from Paracelsus is quite apt here:

"All things are poison and nothing [is] without poison; only the dose makes that a thing is no poison."​

The human body is an incredibly, vastly complicated dynamic system. It's almost impossible to influence that system with drugs without creating unwanted side effects because so many processes are interlinked with one another. On top of that, everybody will have a differing physiological condition internally due to everything from age to physical activity and so on, meaning drug effects may vary.

The whole field of pharmological chemistry is concerned with trying to maximise drug benefits while minimising the countless other side effects that can occur when a drug is introduced. This is a hugely difficult task.

Drug companies are often slammed for profiteering and so on, but I think such responses are regularly felt because illnesses provoke emotive reactions. It's easier to see people as evil bastards when they're selling anti-cancer medication at huge prices than other products, but at the end of the day it's the same as any other business.

To produce effective new drugs, astronomical amounts of money must be poured into lab space, lab equipment, training, prolonged safety studies and (perhaps the most enormous expense) hiring and persistently acquiring people who are dedicated workers and smart enough to understand molecular biology and reaction mechanisms.

Combine that with the need for production and distribution, uncertain success (you can not really be sure your drug will be more effective or safer than others already out there until you produce it) and you're looking at huge expenses. This is the logic behind why medicines are often not cheap - I'm sure companies would be happy to sell them cheaper if they cost peanuts to make, but they don't.

As for the original question - it's wise to talk with your doctor when it comes to whether a particular drug is helping you. It may be that your body feels the side effects more than a typical patient for a bunch of reasons, in which case no medication or another drug may be more useful.

I understand your point and I've read things from the point of view of drug companies. If drug companies were not some of the corporations with the highest profits and most influence in DC the argument would have a bit more validity. When someone goes to a doctor that doctor is going to prescribe a new, fancy drug when it is not warranted. Generic drugs will often do just fine. Sometimes there are off the shelf drugs that will work.

Take something like famotadine. What that stuff was prescribed under a name brand it was extremely expensive. Now it's cheap and off the shelf. Maybe it did cost a bit more to produce originally but I can't see how it cost so much to produce that it was worth ten or twenty times what it costs now. Over the years pills that once cost thirty bucks a piece dropped to a few cents a piece. And you can be sure even at that low price there's a profit in producing it or it would not be available. Drug companies inflate prices for profit.

The other side of the coin, prescribing pills is the easy way out for doctors, whether or not they get sweets from drug companies. It's also the treatment of choice when a patient cannot afford tests that would help with a diagnosis. And most people don't question their doctors or have discussions, they just accept the doctor as an ultimate authority. Everybody should question everything a doctor says and make sure they know if their doc is competent. There was a doctor here who had brain damage from a bad car crash but was still practicing even though he was so messed up he could not concentrate or talk clearly. I went to him once for the flu or something and was appalled at his condition.

The problem with side effects is that these days it does not matter what medication you're prescribed there comes with it such a long list of how it could screw you up you don't really know if any of it is happening. That was kind'of the point of my original post. Every med the VA sends comes with a warning that, boiled down, says something like, "this could make you nuts, rip your guts out, or kill you, but, well, probably not so take it and find out!"

The last thing, and probably the worst, is that Americans tend to see the answer to all their ills in a pill. Feel bad? Take a pill. Have a pain? Take a pill. It's no wonder we have such a drugged up country. And of course I'm a hypocrite because I reach for a pill too. But what can you do?

tedgresham said:
When someone goes to a doctor that doctor is going to prescribe a new, fancy drug when it is not warranted. Generic drugs will often do just fine. Sometimes there are off the shelf drugs that will work.

The use of "fancy" meds and doctors getting cash incentives to prescribe certain medicines pisses me off a little too. The incentives in particular are in a moral grey area that leave me feeling uneasy.

I think it's less of a problem in the UK because the NHS here has it's own bodies that are motivated by government budgets to pick the most efficient and cost-effective drugs for patients, whereas the US system passes profits onto the doctor directly.

On the other note, it's important to recognise that drugs would never progress if they weren't prescribed. A long time ago the painkillers that are now regarded as effective and taken forgranted would have been expensive experimental "fancy" treatments that people would have objected to paying through the nose for. Progress in the drug field is almost universally positive in the long term and it rides on the back of usage like that.

tedgresham said:
Take something like famotadine. What that stuff was prescribed under a name brand it was extremely expensive. Now it's cheap and off the shelf. Maybe it did cost a bit more to produce originally but I can't see how it cost so much to produce that it was worth ten or twenty times what it costs now. Over the years pills that once cost thirty bucks a piece dropped to a few cents a piece. And you can be sure even at that low price there's a profit in producing it or it would not be available. Drug companies inflate prices for profit.

Ten or twenty times deflation what it cost to make that drug in the 80's? Easily. From the outside, it's hard to see where these expenses come from.

I'm not going to deny that drug companies will maximise their profits - that's simple capitalism. However, the costs really are that huge, and really do taper off that much over time.

The University I'm at right now has had all it's labs fully modernised recently. The Uni paid towards it, but drug companies in all likelihood have put in a hefty chunk of capital to do that, because they often use Uni labs for their studies and they're investing in a potential future workforce.

Similarly, if I get a good degree I have a chance of signing up for a short contract with a major chemical company (they do everything from drugs to toothpaste to clothing materials). One of the conditions on the contract is that they will pay all of my student fees for me on top of a wage if I serve the time period.

Think about them doing that for all their new recruits, and that's a ridiculously gigantic amount of money even just in that one incentive scheme. But they really need qualified people to stay at the cutting edge of progress, so they do it.

The other expenses you never hear about are the failed drugs. For every drug that's successfully proved to treat a condition effectively, have side-effects considered minimal for what it does and deemed cost-effective to produce there will be hundreds of drugs that money was poured into making that never saw the light of day.

Add on the fact that people are always working to discover new mechanisms by which molecules can be synthesised (thus lowering production costs over the years) and yesterday's highly expensive medicine will easily be tomorrow's cheap-as-chips "basic" building block off which the newest drugs will be produced.

This is good for the consumer in the long run - in future, we may be looking at drugs which effectively treat or even cure cancer at prices everyone can afford, because technology and knowledge will have progressed far enough that the medicines we consider very complicated right now are off-the-shelf level later.

tedgresham said:
The problem with side effects is that these days it does not matter what medication you're prescribed there comes with it such a long list of how it could screw you up you don't really know if any of it is happening. That was kind'of the point of my original post. Every med the VA sends comes with a warning that, boiled down, says something like, "this could make you nuts, rip your guts out, or kill you, but, well, probably not so take it and find out!"

The last thing, and probably the worst, is that Americans tend to see the answer to all their ills in a pill. Feel bad? Take a pill. Have a pain? Take a pill. It's no wonder we have such a drugged up country. And of course I'm a hypocrite because I reach for a pill too. But what can you do?

The more ambitious you want to get with medicine (and science in general), the more issues there are to deal with. A basic, well-crafted painkiller is not going to have long-reaching side effects if prescribed and used correctly. You're effectively plugging a hole in a receptor somewhere, to put it in the most basic terms.

On the other hand, if you're trying to cure something like Alzheimer's, you're dealing most likely with massively intricate protein synthesis and all sorts of chemical equilibria. The risk of side effects will increase until, again, understanding means that we have the knowledge to produce drugs that can target a problem with pin-point accuracy.

If people want humanity to head forward to a state where we can really cure suffering and disease, problems like this must be put up with until they can be overcome.

I see no reason why people should give up on their dreams of eventually living life without fear of crippling illness because right now there are struggles with unwanted effects that need to be fixed.

I agree that "pill culture" is a bad thing. No drug is really an air-tight solution to a problem, and the thought that it is can be dangerous.

One day we'll live in a world where taking a pill won't "drug you up", it'll just fix what's wrong and that'll be it. That's what we're working towards, and that's why it's taking so long.

All very good points, Solitary. Just seems like there needs to be more balance, ya think?

Actually, there's only one medication I'd like to get my hands on. It's the Blue Pill, so I can be forever blissfully unaware and stop thinking so much.

TheSolitaryMan said:
Ten or twenty times deflation what it cost to make that drug in the 80's? Easily. From the outside, it's hard to see where these expenses come from.

I'm not going to deny that drug companies will maximise their profits - that's simple capitalism. However, the costs really are that huge, and really do taper off that much over time.

The University I'm at right now has had all it's labs fully modernised recently. The Uni paid towards it, but drug companies in all likelihood have put in a hefty chunk of capital to do that, because they often use Uni labs for their studies and they're investing in a potential future workforce.

Similarly, if I get a good degree I have a chance of signing up for a short contract with a major chemical company (they do everything from drugs to toothpaste to clothing materials). One of the conditions on the contract is that they will pay all of my student fees for me on top of a wage if I serve the time period.

I was going to say this but you put it so much better than I ever could have; drug companies often have to cover the substantial cost of research - I knew people who were in the pharmacological industry and they likened the chances of getting something that worked to 'throwing darts at a target, while blindfolded." At the end of the day, it does often feel like a lot of blind trial and error with only some theory to help guidance.

If you really want to find people to villify in the pharma industry, its the industry lawyers who honestly contribute next to nothing but collect a disproportionate salary and sometimes participate in even more underhanded tactics.

But most of the people are genuinely good individuals - even the executives, who often have to choose between balancing the checkbook from the massive expenses versus getting out a pill that can help people within at least some reasonable cost. The fact that they even actually have this moral dilemma - and I knew a few who did, shows that they at least have a heart.

Latest posts

Back