education

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h i

Reaction score
what level of education do you have?

did you make good grades?

did have to repeat a grade or class?

let me know about it.

:)

I failed school. missed a day a week from school. was late almost every day, by two hours or more. panic attacks from appearance and clothing, interaction, homework and tests. i had to take medication for IBS. would spend almost an hour in the bathroom in the mornings. would actually throw up if anything touched my mouth. couldnt eat, couldnt brush my teeth, couldnt even touch my teeth with my finger. would constantly just ditch classes and walk home. i blatantly broke so many truancy laws that the school just ignored me, and let me do as i wanted to avoid trouble. tried home schooling three different times. always fell through. eventually got a GED.

i got my job before my GED though. i love it. the GED was just to feel somewhat, average, like others. because it seems like so many go to college now days.

I went to college, on a pell grant. didnt pass my basic algebra. had to take a class that didnt give me any credits. I didnt know the difference between summer class and fall and spring classes. with depression, work, and school, one failed. I talked to the school counselor and they let me quit without owing anything, because i was halfway through the class.

i had extra money and took a welding class. i loved it. 8) burning things. i dont plan to go to college. I went to an academy for driving tractor trailer semi trucks. I did well at it. got the learners permit, learned the book stuff, and learned how to drive, shift, and back the truck up. i didnt stick with the company/academy though. to finalize for the CDL i had to join their company. im no good being boxed in, and they had stern rules. im taking fire rescue courses now, and i plan to take a concealed weapon course and unarmed, and armed security courses, for a license.

Well, as a firefighter I wouldn't advise you to go in to the fire service if you don't like stern rules. The industry really is all about following procedure and protocol. Being straight laced and looking sharp. It's definitely not like 'Rescue Me'. If you really apply yourself though, it can be a life changing thing for guys like us with anxiety problems. I was a social recluse before I joined up. I still have anxiety issues, but I am slowly recovering. Slowly but surely, day by day.

At any rate, I dropped out of school after the 10th grade to continue with homeschooling; though my step mom kind of fell out of doing that for us. Once I was 18 I went to work clearing brush out in the woods then got my GED. I volunteered as a firefighter from the time I was 18 and haven't stopped since...I can't really imagine my life without the fire service in some form. I became a man with it in my life and so it's an integral part of everything to me.

I attend a lot of classes/training for professional development, but I'm presently in college slowly working towards a 2-year degree.

I'm the poster child for the over-educated Liberal Arts major.

High School - got excellent grades in part because it was stupidly simple, but also because my parents were unbelievably strict. My dad would make me do all the extra problems in the book even though they weren't assigned; he also tutored me in the math & science classes the summer previous to the semester I'd have them. While my classmates were at keggers and beach parties, I was slaving over calculus and physics.

College- started out in engineering to appease my dad, but switched as soon as I could. Ended up with a massive amount of credits, a high GPA and a fairly useless double major (Russian Language/ Soviet and East European Studies).

Grad School- I knew I wanted to travel, and I wasn't independently wealthy so I got a M.S in TESOL (Teaching English as a Second Language). Lots of Linguistics courses, I was in heaven.

If I could be a professional student forever, I'd be happy. I like learning and scholarship for its own sake. I actually enjoyed writing research papers and giving presentations. I deal very well within the ivory walls of Academia; it's real life that gives me panic attacks.

I would love to go back for a PhD in Linguistics someday.

In high school, I did fairly well. Up until my mom died, I did quite well. I averaged around a 3.5 GPA. I really liked math and science. After her death around 10th grade, my grades drastically fell. I got mixed up with the wrong crowd. I partied frequently, drank heavily, and did various other things. In 11th grade, I played many pranks among many people which eventually got me expelled. I started home schooling, did quite well, then graduated within a year.

I earned my Associate's Degree last year in Police Science. I was at the top of my class with a 4.0 GPA. Criminals and sick deviants apparently interest me. Most of my credits transferred to my current university. I have just 30 credits left, and I will have my bachelor's in Criminal Justice Administration by next summer ! I'm toying with the idea of law school, but I am unsure of this. I've finally found the right path despite my self destructive past.

I really enjoy what I am learning. The Police Science degree was really interesting to pursue. I learned how to process crime scenes, collect evidence, analyse bullet holes and blood stains, interrogate people, and various other things. The Administration degree is a little more dry,which is comprised of a lot of criminal law, report etiquette, and management courses. I am looking forward to the Criminal Profiling Class next semester though.

Latest posts

Back