Ehh... Did college rob anybody else of hometown friends?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlrupertevans

Reaction score
Well I don't really know how it happened, but once high school ended, I lost a lot of friends. Now I figured with social websites like Facebook, you'd be able to keep in touch. Yet that's not the case for me. I thought I had something unique to offer. I thought I sort of mattered, at least enough for a little chat every now and then. In some cases, I remember doing 100% of the work in a friendship. I wasn't a wash or a flake, I was myself and I sort of believed that was what mattered. Then people headed off for college and even when they come back for the holidays, I'm not in the schedule. Had to of done something to end up this lonely, but I don't know what did me in. I really cared for my friends, and to have them just grow up and forget about you really sucks. Honestly I'm so frustrated over this, I've even gone as far as to blame some universities and just the overall college experience. I feel like you get accepted then sign off on those back home, or at least I got the cut.

I had the opposite. After my first year of college I was a wreck. My friend actually moved to where I was at and started going to a community college there and let me room with him and his girlfriend. Love that guy.

I never really had any other friends. Only one other dood.

Oh now how is that? Well actually maybe people aren't as hopeless as I am. It's just that I thought I made a great effort with some people. I put myself out there and together we had some pretty awesome highlights. Then all of the sudden, and I mean just one ******* night, everybody disappeared. nobody answers my calls, gets back to me over a text or anything. Now I don't blow up phones or constantly text and demand answers, but I can't even get a facebook chat. I feel like I died or something and just was abandoned. Like I got the starring role in that shitty Invisible movie with that prick from War of The Worlds or even that god awful DBZ movie. How the hell did that guy get in movies?

try nt 2 take it so personally
ppl just tend 2 move apart once they no longr share the same environment
they r all in2 their college buddies nw
then once college is ovr they will disconnect fr those ppl 2
(LoL)
its just how life is
y didnt u also go 2 college?

It just kind of happens after high school. Your old friends will just kind of be gone. It happens again after college. I think that's why so many people join the site at around ages 20-24.

As for the ending to my story. He lives 90 minutes away now and is married and we havn't spoken in 6 months.

as a senior graduating college in the spring i can say that i've been blessed enough to keep the friends i had during high school. two of them are like me, stayed at home and commute to college on a daily basis, i get to hang out with them all the time basically. the others i kept in contact with very well and a few of them i intend to continue to remain in contact with despite the fact they're going to split off even more after school ends.

what was the key to me staying in touch? for one we had a lot of similar interests. we play fantasy sports, which are web-based sports games that provide a lot of necessary opportunities for web-based interaction with each other still. i think i've also just been fortunate with the company i keep being good, loyal people, nothing i can really expound upon there. too bad i wasn't that good at making friends in college...

Yes. That's the only good thing about Facebook, able to keep in touch with them.

Did college rob anybody else of hometown friends?

No, not really.

It was the mid to late 80s for me; so, times might have changed by now for some.

If anything, it was simply time that caused people to drift apart one at a time.

But on the other hand; out of 1,000 employees in my building, there are around 10 people that I went to high school with.

And, my two of my best friends from elementary school live within ten miles of me and we continued to do things together like fish until a couple of years ago.

After graduating from high school back in 07, most of the friends I made in my two years there very quickly made themselves scarce and all but disappeared entirely. I had only two friends left which lasted up until two years ago when one of them became too preoccupied in hanging out with some dude who liked to pick fights with people and get high. The other one became too popular in a sense. Hung out with people better pertaining to his personal interests. It's kinda hard to compete with musicians hanging out with a punk band leader when you have no musical talent. :\

But yeah, for the most part, this seems to be all too common. Many just get over it or are much more proactive about maintaining relationships after graduation. College life really does suck away at one's personal life. Unless you forcibly involve yourself in your friends' lives or go to the same classes in the college they're attending, hanging out with them becomes a rather executive treat.

Latest posts

Back