Exercise or Junk Food

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grackle

Reaction score
I've been battling a slight case of the blues, been moaning and feeling a little sorry for myself and usually thats when I start buying bags of crisps and pretzels and jars of salsa and quite literally anything starchy and salty but last night I went for a long walk ( didn't realize it would as long as it was when I started) and I was so exhausted when I got home that my junk food craving diminished.
I can't say I'm sold on the exercise as the new go-to when I need a little comforting BUT I'm going to give it a shot.

If there is anyone else here who is used to eating their emotions, I would like to encourage you to join me in switching from junk food to exercise. I suppose this is also a way of asking if anyone has attempted such a colossal switch and how did it work out. It does seem drastic, I know but can it be done ??

When you exercise, all those good endorphins start pumping (that is as scientific I am going to get on that), and it makes you feel better. Junk food is an easy fix, but doesn't last as long.

I would go with exercise. It will make you feel better in the long run. When I get depresses, I dance around my house and get my blood pumping and it makes me feel better.

Good luck, Grackle, with your exercise regime. I agree with Nicolelt that it will be better for you than the junk food. Do you aim to stick mainly to walking or are you going to alternate it with other sorts of exercise as well?
I take a moderate ammount of exercise-can't do more owing to physical problems-and I find that even this lesser ammount of exercise helps.

I've found that when I go walking, I feel so much better. I feel good while I'm walking, and then I'm even better when I feel the energy I have after. That energy lasts for hours. I stopped walking for a bit because the dog I take walking had a bad seizure and the outside dog who walked with me passed away a bit ago. But I know I need to start walking again. It makes me feel too good. And I've stopped eating so much junk and I drink a lot more water now.

Thank you for your tips and encouragement. I will be sticking to walking, I have lots of trails that are near my home. Short jaunts arounds man-made lakes to 5K windy up and down trails. I also have a few mountains to go for a day hike if I wish :p ....purely dreaming with that idea. But its not going to be easy for me. I'm old and my feet are usually tired (sometimes sore) after work but who knows this just might be a good thing for them.

Grackle said:
I've been battling a slight case of the blues, been moaning and feeling a little sorry for myself and usually thats when I start buying bags of crisps and pretzels and jars of salsa and quite literally anything starchy and salty but last night I went for a long walk ( didn't realize it would as long as it was when I started) and I was so exhausted when I got home that my junk food craving diminished.
I can't say I'm sold on the exercise as the new go-to when I need a little comforting BUT I'm going to give it a shot.

If there is anyone else here who is used to eating their emotions, I would like to encourage you to join me in switching from junk food to exercise. I suppose this is also a way of asking if anyone has attempted such a colossal switch and how did it work out. It does seem drastic, I know but can it be done ??

You can count me as one who eats their emotions. My father passed away a little over two years ago and I binged on food. I gained over 55 pounds and, at the time, I didn't give a honeysuckle.

A few months ago I decided I need to get back to my original size. I've lost over 37 pounds going on a high protein diet, mixed with the No S diet and doing the Shovelglove workout. It was made to workout at home, using a sledgehammer, roughly 15 minutes a day, no weekends and I have dropped the weight rather quickly and have a lot more energy.

Yes, that sounds like a ridiculous workout idea, but it works for me. Plus, I do get some walking in on a nightly basis, taking my dog for his evening walk. So, count me as one who has made the colossal switch.

I stopped eating junk food completely when I got alarming news from my doctor about my health. There's no bigger motivation than the thought that I might die of a heart attack or a stroke tomorrow if I continued eating poorly.

Now, I'm a healthy eater, I exercise, and my doctor says I'm back to a normal with all my tests. I have pants that are too big for me now, and I feel more alert and energetic.

It helps to hang out with people who will encourage your healthier eating habits. With me, a nutritionist friend of mine would shame me into eating better. (Actually, she just gave me good information. I shamed myself into making the change. lol)

Keep up the great work, Grackle. :)

You're definitely not the first to discover that food is the most overused anti-anxiety agent and exercise is the most underused anti-depressant. :)
I used to eat my feelings quite a bit and became fat. That was years ago. But I found other ways of dealing with life, like exercise (and now I'm a normal weight). I love to go for walks. It's great for fresh air, meeting the neighbors and clearing my mind. I've solved some of my most vexing problems while walking.
Keep it up, you won't regret it! :)

-Teresa

Latest posts

Back