Facebook blamed for 1 in 5 divorces

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny

Reaction score
I am not bashing Facebook as I think it is a wonderful utility that can be used to enrich people's lives. I am however incredibly suspect of the way that most people use it. I choose not to engage in Facebook'ing because I have seen that it generally leads to the lowest common denominator in human behavior. Two out of two of my last two relationships (lol) were damaged by inappropriate behavior by my significant other on Facebook.

It looks like I am not alone.

A recent reputable study has shown that Facebook is cited as a major contributing factor to 1 in 5 divorces now.

I am NOT surprised. People can't control themselves.

What are other people's opinions on this?

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/facebook/facebook-blamed-for-1-in-5-divorces-in-the-us/359

http://idle.slashdot.org/story/11/0...Linked-To-One-In-Five-Divorces-In-US?from=rss

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...acebook-fuelling-divorce-research-claims.html

Facebook does not cause divorces. Broken couples cause divorces.

Saying facebook causes divorces is like saying Facebook is the reason I procrastinate on my schoolwork. It is as easy as turning off the computer in order to get off facebook.

If a person acts inappropriately on FB, finds a person to cheat on their partner with on FB, spends too much time on FB, etc this is not the fault of FB. FB did not force the person to log on and do any of those things. A person chose by their on volition to do those things, and that person is the only one to blame for whatever consequences come about because of their time spent on FB.

All this thread is telling me is that this generation is horrible at taking responsibility for their own actions if they want to start blaming FB for their divorces.

fortasse said:
Facebook does not cause divorces. Broken couples cause divorces.

Saying facebook causes divorces is like saying Facebook is the reason I procrastinate on my schoolwork. It is as easy as turning off the computer in order to get off facebook.

If a person acts inappropriately on FB, finds a person to cheat on their partner with on FB, spends too much time on FB, etc this is not the fault of FB. FB did not force the person to log on and do any of those things. A person chose by their on volition to do those things, and that person is the only one to blame for whatever consequences come about because of their time spent on FB.

All this thread is telling me is that this generation is horrible at taking responsibility for their own actions if they want to start blaming FB for their divorces.

Okay? So you are restating what I said in the first sentence of the topic?

I am not bashing Facebook as I think it is a wonderful utility that can be used to enrich people's lives. I am however incredibly suspect of the way that most people use it.

I just couldn't tell from the tone of your post if you were disagreeing with the article or disagreeing with me. :)

Right, it is the same as blaming cell phones on divorce. Same old thing, new technology.

Kenny said:
I just couldn't tell from the tone of your post if you were disagreeing with the article or disagreeing with me. :)
I wasn't disagreeing with you... I don't think. I was simply responding to your question: "What are other people's opinions on this?"

Sorry if my response was confusing. :)

Roflmao
all my EXs contacted me on FB and wanted me back....hahahaahaaa

I believe I saveed my EXWF marriage..playing the devils advocate.
Her married already went south of the border. He conqquard hee allready..and all that goodshit.
Her falling in love wuth me again made her feel beutiful and wanted again..A man she once fell so much in love with was chasing her again...Her spirit changed...He smelled COMPETITION In the air...finally attended marrried couseling after serveral failed attemos asked by my exwf.(chelle)

Renae..she aint dumb.
She purchased me a new cell phone
and tells me I should use it.
I aint dumb..to tell her no.lol
I know it has GPS n all that good honeysuckle on it.hahahaaaa

Exactly, Minus. It's nothing new to point fingers and blame other things for a divorce, other than the two people themselves. Phone calls, emails, TV, children... Everything is the matter, except the husband and wife. I think if I did something wrong, I'd take fault and admit it was me. Blaming it on something else doesn't change it, so just admit it.

People were cheating before facebook. They will keep cheating after facebook is gone too. It seems like almost everybody is looking for something they can't have and are never satisfied with what they got. It's the people who are messed up and not the tools they use to do what they do.

Latest posts

Back