Facebook - how did it work for you?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SofiasMami said:
cumulus.james said:
I find it bizarre this stuff does not offend more people. If I were to come into your house, following you about with a camera recording everything you do then follow you to work and everywhere you go you would be pretty creeeped out! yet these guys are not only recording everything about you they are selling it on to whoever!

There's a shitload of closed circuit cameras on the streets in the U.K. So if you don't want to be watched while in public, you're outta luck my friend. Facebook is not like being on camera while at home. I only post what I want to post. If I don't want you to see it, you're not going to see it.
I've used it to get back in touch with long-lost friends and to stay in touch with family. They can see how Sofia is doing and pictures that they are interested in seeing like her first day of kindergarten. Before, I would mail hard copies of pictures so it even saves me postage. If you don't like facebook or social networking, the solution is quite simple. Don't do it.

Teresa

I don't agree with all the CCTV stuff either. But at least it is not in my home (yet). And unless I was doing something or did something wrong you were unlikely to be noticed on CCTV. Now they have the facial recognition software and this software that can track your gate 9how you walk).

Tie that in with databases and they are going to know when you have a honeysuckle and just how to tax it soon....

I'm on facebook with a fake name. I only have a few of so-called internet "friends." Only one of those so-called internet friends knows me, and even that one ignores me 95% of the time.

I think facebook can be great if you have some real friends on there. Some who actually pay some attention to you. :rolleyes:

lovelace said:
I think facebook can be great if you have some real friends on there. Some who actually pay some attention to you. :rolleyes:

that is what it's all about

I don't know if I would really agree that facebook is all about attention. I see it as a good way of connecting with people with the same interests. But it's true that I would never register with my real name.

I think that there are too many people on facebook who want to add you as a friend just so that their list of "friends" is longer.

Like the ones that invite thousands of people they don't know most of the time they post so much about stuff it ends up been boring. I have deleted facebook a few years ago and i didnt miss the program once. I mean lets face it it's just another program and the people inside called members end up been a part of that program. Friends become less available as promises of new friends arrive and meetings often end in tears of lonliness which becomes apparent. It's a shame to leave your true friends for others you might have invited perhaps for the fame game. At the end of the day I also think that children should never be allowed near a community such as facebook for their own saftey and the fact that the strangers on their could be infact the whole scenario of their future holdbacks. I would imagine the true stars are your friends and as we say in birmingham back in the old daze. Alright star ... year i'm cool thanks. Facebook stars are not there, they are tripping in cosmopolitan land somewhere under a spell perhaps some illusion that facebook might had on us once.

Well I was about to start a thread called "Facebook failure" but I did a search and see there's already one...several actually, so I'll just post here...

I often post on my FB page stuff that gets no notice (hey, I only have 27 "friends" there)...but last week I was pretty depressed as it was the one year anniversary my 18yo kitty died. I posted about this ("One year ago today I lost my sweet Kiddo. I'm still crying for him, and the fact that the new cat doesn't like me one bit ain't helping..."). I did not get one single kind word from anyone.

Its bad enough that I don't have *real* friends...I decided that if digital friends is all I can ask for then fine, I'll make the best of that...but clearly I don't have those, either.

Seriously, how much "work" would have been involved to type five words..."sorry, hope you feel better" or something similar???

I keep teetering back and forth with what to do: (a) post one final nasty message there directed towards everyone who didn't comment on the above (i.e., everyone) that I'm ditching facebook because I don't need to be reminded I have no friends...or (b) just shut up and be grateful to have these 27 phoney-baloneys on a facebook page...

dk1967, first I must say that I'm sorry to hear about your cat. I lost my dog earlier this year so I know how painful it is to lose your beloved pet. I think it's ugly that no one commented on your post. But don't worry. It's nothing extraordinary -- for facebook. ;) I think this is happening to a lot of people.

Just keep your account...maybe someday you will add some better friends. And don't worry. Just don't take it personally.

I mainly created my facebook profile to keep track of the things I like and share my photography. My only "friends" there who I know in real life are a few acquaintances from back in high school who I barely know and never hang out with or talk to - the rest are people I met on lastfm (lol).

dk1967 said:
Well I was about to start a thread called "Facebook failure" but I did a search and see there's already one...several actually, so I'll just post here...

I often post on my FB page stuff that gets no notice (hey, I only have 27 "friends" there)...but last week I was pretty depressed as it was the one year anniversary my 18yo kitty died. I posted about this ("One year ago today I lost my sweet Kiddo. I'm still crying for him, and the fact that the new cat doesn't like me one bit ain't helping..."). I did not get one single kind word from anyone.

Its bad enough that I don't have *real* friends...I decided that if digital friends is all I can ask for then fine, I'll make the best of that...but clearly I don't have those, either.

Seriously, how much "work" would have been involved to type five words..."sorry, hope you feel better" or something similar???

I keep teetering back and forth with what to do: (a) post one final nasty message there directed towards everyone who didn't comment on the above (i.e., everyone) that I'm ditching facebook because I don't need to be reminded I have no friends...or (b) just shut up and be grateful to have these 27 phoney-baloneys on a facebook page...

I know what you're feeling, man, about being completely ignored by a bunch of "friends" who seem as if they couldn't care less what you post there. If it gets worse, I would just deactivate my account and get away from FB.

And sorry to hear of your loss.. I know how a cat or dog can be like family.

If someone is in your life, they are in your life, if they are not they're not. Facecrap allows you to be in a diseased dance with a bunch of people that are barely in your life, for you to follow their vapidness and for them to follow yours. Those who are close to you, will be appraised of the happenings in your life by you personally, but the background ornaments of your life though only have recourse to facebook to contact you. Thus facecrap helps encourage you to stay in a limbo with people you are not close with online, and for those who are likewise not close to you, to enter your limbo.

Facebook for me is the ultimate double-edged sword.

Through education and work, I have friends and family all around the world and it is an excellent way to stop in touch. It truly is. A cousin of mine is backpacking Asia and Australasia at the moment, and to be able to see his pictures and to see in some way his experiences on that trip is fantastic. Further, I have renewed friendships on there from high-school and old sports colleagues. For this, it is excellent. Being able to type my friends name in, and see on my friends list what he/she is upto is fantastic.

Alternativley, it is also a havenfor idiotic behaviour. Also, I don;t really trust any private enterpirse which is out there to make a profit knowing all about me. Further, there is 'pandoras box' of ex-partners and Facebook politics which exists on there. Therefore, it is a double-edged sword really.

I feel that those who have 'it is for idiots' have a point, but then it is a lot like a meal with friends, if you dine with idiots you might have a bad time, dine with good friends, and it will be good. I feel the same applies with Facebook.

Facebook totally does NOT work for me....can't stand all the ass-licking that goes on, tagging of statuses when you find you weren't invited to something, people playing to each others ego's etc etc...it really hurts:(

another thing that absolutely boils my blood is people who go on nights out etc and their whole night revolves around not actually enjoying the night but posting their status and photos while they are out!I've got a 'friend' who sat on her phone in a club all night long on Facebook and then complained it was the worst night ever

dk1967 said:

hi hun, you sound like me!I've tried to generate a bit of interest for my clothes designs on Facebook but I'm lucky if i get one 'like' , whilst people post what they have had for their tea and it gets 35 likes....i feel that if people want to impress a certain person they will go overboard on the Likes on there.xx
somedays i can literally see the tumbleweed on my profile
p.s PM your facebook name, i'll add you.xx

Thrasymachus said:
If someone is in your life, they are in your life, if they are not they're not. Facecrap allows you to be in a diseased dance with a bunch of people that are barely in your life, for you to follow their vapidness and for them to follow yours. Those who are close to you, will be appraised of the happenings in your life by you personally, but the background ornaments of your life though only have recourse to facebook to contact you. Thus facecrap helps encourage you to stay in a limbo with people you are not close with online, and for those who are likewise not close to you, to enter your limbo.

Love your reference to the site as being Facecrap. I personally call it Fakebook. Hate that place soooo much. Am trying to delete my profile ONCE AND FOR ALL! But funny that I encountered technical problems when trying to delete my account. It worked well up until that point. I also don't trust them with my personal data. Though when you delete your account they still keep your data, for how long I don't know.

Facebook is crap. For me it's just another timesink. That's all. Very rarely I'll have some really good commentary about something on it, or I'm just jesting with a friend, and we end up with some pretty hilarious statements, which, of course, receive somewhere in the vicinity of "1 like" , while the attention whores on the site get 46 likes and 92 comments when they say "I'm bored". :D It's the way it works. It's a numbers-game.

Latest posts

Back