Fast / Processed food

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, in your case, I think it's almost impossible to be vegan. But yeah, there is all 9 essentials amino acids in Quinoa, but if you can't eat legumes, nuts, etc, well, you will be sick of eating always the same stuff over and over.

But, humanity starts to wake up. We begin to see more gluten-free, nuts-free, etc in groceries. Specially in organic groceries like the one I go. Maybe in a near future you will be able to eat healthier and being able to avoid stuff you cannot eat.

http://www.tofurky.com

An example of progression in veg world. But I don't eat those stuff. I only eat raw stuff like vegetables, fruits, basic bread, nuts and seeds.

stork_error said:
I'd like to become a vegan but i have a lot of food intolerances which results in my not being able to mix required items to get enough protien from a vegan diet.

I went vegan for a year because I wanted to cure my IBS symptoms. I also went gluten-free at the same time. I had such a challenge ahead of me because I have an intolerance for soy, raw fruits (have to cook them) and beans give me terrible bloating and digestive issues. It was a constant struggle, but I found brown rice protein ($$$) that I mixed in a shake with homemade coconut yogurt and some almond milk. One of those a day did the trick, but it was hard to get all my protein each day for sure.

PS: cured the IBS when 2 gastroenterologists told me I'd have to live with it. The culprit was casein in cow milk products. Going vegan also provided me a good list of foods that my digestion won't handle anymore, like beef, pork, eggs, peppers, corn etc...because when I decided to try to come back to being a carnivore, I re-introduced foods very slowly.

You learn a LOT about food and nutrients when you go vegan, I suggest it to everyone. It wasn't my chosen style of eating, but it cleaned out my system amazingly and let me know what foods were making me sick.

Yes, quinoa is already one of my main staple foods. I couldn't imagine eating any more than i already do. I do hope that things change and that one day i can go vegan. heres hoping.

Organic is healthier in that there are no pesticides used or preservatives involved in the making of foods. Although, it is proven that some preservatives cause harm or worsen some conditions. So, for some people, organic IS healthier and essential.

Yes, vegan needs careful planning. I myself take:

Vitamin B2
Vitamin B6
Vitamin B12
Vitamin D
Folic Acid
Iodine
Selenium

In a single multivitamin supplement.

I'm careful about protein. But so far I'm doing very good. :).

Yes about organic. There is no preservative, talk about it... My bread must be in refrigerator otherwise it rotten after few hours. Bananas and other stuff rotten very quick, compared to non-organic stuff. It also need a lot of planning.

But yeah, planning, complicated stuff, etc. I love that, specially because I know all that time wasted is for my health :).

EDIT: Shrimp, I love your first link about vegan. It proves a lot of stuff about how vegan is healthier. If you read it carefully, it proves that it reduce heart attack, cancers etc. :). But it also tell that we need to be careful on some nutrients that we might be starving. That's why I'm taking the multivitamin mentioned early.

Damrod said:
Yeah I know that feeling. When I talk about that to my brother when he brings some frootloops or nasty stuff from his grocery, he gets mad, really mad.

It's the same things for my parents. My mother is obese and have lot of Joint trouble(I suspect Osteoarthritis). When I tell her that if she eats better, she could lose weight and possibly cure her troubles with bones, but she doesn't want to listen. Same stuff for cigarettes... My father used to stop cigarettes for few weeks, but my mother kept smoking. So my father has no choice to smoke again, since my mother was smoking in his face...

It's sad that you cannot do anything, and you know that soon they will be very sick, in hospital and unhappy because they won't have the possibility to go outside and enjoy life.

But it's their choice I guess. The only thing we can do, is to show example to other people...

That's the problem I have. There are some things I just can't talk to them about, because I know it will either only result in them just ignoring it at best, and getting mad at worst. Idk. My only idea I have is to start doing it myself when I leave, and then convince them to change my showing how much healthier I am. I can't use words though. I know that won't work.

TheSkaFish said:
Damrod said:
Yeah I know that feeling. When I talk about that to my brother when he brings some frootloops or nasty stuff from his grocery, he gets mad, really mad.

It's the same things for my parents. My mother is obese and have lot of Joint trouble(I suspect Osteoarthritis). When I tell her that if she eats better, she could lose weight and possibly cure her troubles with bones, but she doesn't want to listen. Same stuff for cigarettes... My father used to stop cigarettes for few weeks, but my mother kept smoking. So my father has no choice to smoke again, since my mother was smoking in his face...

It's sad that you cannot do anything, and you know that soon they will be very sick, in hospital and unhappy because they won't have the possibility to go outside and enjoy life.

But it's their choice I guess. The only thing we can do, is to show example to other people...

That's the problem I have. There are some things I just can't talk to them about, because I know it will either only result in them just ignoring it at best, and getting mad at worst. Idk. My only idea I have is to start doing it myself when I leave, and then convince them to change my showing how much healthier I am. I can't use words though. I know that won't work.
You can't do the change for them. Just think about your health, if they want to be healthier and look like you, they will do the effort themselves. Just try to tell them it was easy.

If you want more information about it. Look at some nice documentaries such as: Food Matter; Hungry for Change; Fork over knives; Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead; Food Inc; All available on Netflix, and you can have 1st month free then cancel your subscription if you want to watch those for free.

TheRealCallie said:
Organic is healthier in that there are no pesticides used or preservatives involved in the making of foods. Although, it is proven that some preservatives cause harm or worsen some conditions. So, for some people, organic IS healthier and essential.

You should provide proof if you say it's proven. :cool:

I think it's fair if people make health claims then they should provide proof because it's important we don't get mislead.

I'm glad I helped, Damrod.

Shrimp said:
TheRealCallie said:

I think it's fair if people make health claims then they should provide proof because it's important we don't get mislead.

Actually, I saw a study that proves organic is healthier. Also, only with judgement and knowledge about nutrition and agriculture can tell you it's healthier.

Just like: Spraying insecticide, pesticide, herbicide, you know, all the poisons on foods, it also kills worms and other essentials bacterias in soil. Without them, you can't have a healthy soil and must fertilize your soil regularly. Even if you do that, it's almost impossible to gives all nutrients a plant need. They actually give only 3 nutrients, instead of 60 nutrients required. Ok, so they give 3 nutrients and they can absorb it. But 57 other nutrients left cannot be absorbed even with good compost sources, because worms and bacterias are dead, so can't do the transformation (they actually eat nutrients and honeysuckle them for plants) needed by plants to becomes absorbable.

It's only few knowledges about nutrition and agriculture, but if you dig deeper, I'm sure you will find other explanation why organic is healthier.

Anyway, there's the study:

http://research.ncl.ac.uk/nefg/QOF/documents/14-06-12 Final Crops Paper BJN5552.pdf

We also find a study that says there's no difference between organic and conventional agriculture, but if you want my opinion, it's a bull**** financed by Monsanto and other dirty corporations around.

Common sens tell us that if you spray poison and change genetic of food, there is a huge difference.

Shrimp said:
TheRealCallie said:

Okay fine, here's a few to get you started.

ADHD
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/adhd/expert-answers/adhd/faq-20058203

Heart disease
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/processed-meats-unprocessed-heart-disease-diabetes/

And here's a very interesting (RECENT) article that says organic IS better.
http://www.latimes.com/science/la-sci-organic-foods-20140715-story.html

Also, it's called Google, you might want to do a little more research next time, there are a shitload of articles out there. Plug it in and you'll find them.

Careful with google though. There is many non-objective articles. Plus you gotta make the difference between articles and studies. The one I posted before your comment is probably the most relevant study about it. I don't think you'll find many more and better.

Damrod said:
Careful with google though. There is many non-objective articles. Plus you gotta make the difference between articles and studies. The one I posted before your comment is probably the most relevant study about it. I don't think you'll find many more and better.

Well, that's true with anything really. It's more about finding legit sources than anything else.

Personally I do lots of research and try to find at least 3 credible sources that agree...but really besides all that, if you eat organic and feel better overall, that's your best source I think.

Nicolelt said:
Oh boy....

What? Did you not know that GMO's are bad for you and organic food is better because of.. erm... some reasons that contradict the vast majority of studies.

PieBeNice said:
Nicolelt said:
Oh boy....

What? Did you not know that GMO's are bad for you and organic food is better because of.. erm... some reasons that contradict the vast majority of studies.

Well, I agree processed and fast food is not the greatest. But Organic food is a hoax. When I went to college I was in an organic farming class, and the farmers that came in to talk about it said it is pretty much a marketing scheme.

They still can use the so many pesticides (harmful residue ones) it's not even funny. I rather eat food where they don't need to use pesticides on them (unless in extreme cases).

Plus the average person cannot afford organic foods because they are so over priced. Unless everyone wants to go back to subsistence farming, we are never going to be able to feed the growing population of the world.

Nicolelt said:
PieBeNice said:
Nicolelt said:
Oh boy....

Well, I agree processed and fast food is not the greatest. But Organic food is a hoax. When I went to college I was in an organic farming class, and the farmers that came in to talk about it said it is pretty much a marketing scheme.

They still can use the so many pesticides (harmful residue ones) it's not even funny. I rather eat food where they don't need to use pesticides on them (unless in extreme cases).

Plus the average person cannot afford organic foods because they are so over priced. Unless everyone wants to go back to subsistence farming, we are never going to be able to feed the growing population of the world.

I know an organic farmer. He uses no pesticides or chemicals at all and doesn't charge a shitload for his produce either.
To blindly trust anything without doing research is bad. I do my research, I know who I buy from and I know it's good and without chemicals.

Eh, I don't really care about eating fast food because of my movements. Might change it once I'm treated.

(i dont eat healthy at all tbh man i've had mcdonalds twice this week greeeeeeeeeat <3)

Latest posts

Back