Fast / Processed food

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheRealCallie said:
Nicolelt said:
PieBeNice said:
Nicolelt said:
Oh boy....

What? Did you not know that GMO's are bad for you and organic food is better because of.. erm... some reasons that contradict the vast majority of studies.

Well, I agree processed and fast food is not the greatest. But Organic food is a hoax. When I went to college I was in an organic farming class, and the farmers that came in to talk about it said it is pretty much a marketing scheme.

They still can use the so many pesticides (harmful residue ones) it's not even funny. I rather eat food where they don't need to use pesticides on them (unless in extreme cases).

Plus the average person cannot afford organic foods because they are so over priced. Unless everyone wants to go back to subsistence farming, we are never going to be able to feed the growing population of the world.

I know an organic farmer. He uses no pesticides or chemicals at all and doesn't charge a shitload for his produce either.
To blindly trust anything without doing research is bad. I do my research, I know who I buy from and I know it's good and without chemicals.

That is one farmer though. The majority don't do that though. Technically I'm an organic farmer because I didn't use pesticides on my vegetables, and I gave away my stuff, yea that was cheap.

But, that is not the majority.

Next thing you know they'll be sneaking amino acids into your food. I refuse to eat anything with amino acids in it,

Shrimp said:
TheRealCallie said:
Organic is healthier in that there are no pesticides used or preservatives involved in the making of foods. Although, it is proven that some preservatives cause harm or worsen some conditions. So, for some people, organic IS healthier and essential.

You should provide proof if you say it's proven. :cool:

I think it's fair if people make health claims then they should provide proof because it's important we don't get mislead.

I'm glad I helped, Damrod.

That pesticides are harmful? Drink some, let me know.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pesticides_in_the_United_States

Well, majorities of people drink/eat small doses every days. I call them ''guinea pig'' for long term effects. Specially when you consider that GMO got tested 3 months only, and by Monsanto. And what got tested? GMO or GMO with round up? I doubt they included round up in their tests.

stork_error said:
Shrimp said:
TheRealCallie said:
Organic is healthier in that there are no pesticides used or preservatives involved in the making of foods. Although, it is proven that some preservatives cause harm or worsen some conditions. So, for some people, organic IS healthier and essential.

You should provide proof if you say it's proven. :cool:

I think it's fair if people make health claims then they should provide proof because it's important we don't get mislead.

I'm glad I helped, Damrod.

That pesticides are harmful? Drink some, let me know.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pesticides_in_the_United_States

Of all the sources to use, you use wikipedia?

I mean, yea, I am not gonna go drink a gallon of Round-Up, but come on.
Damrod said:
Well, majorities of people drink/eat small doses every days. I call them ''guinea pig'' for long term effects. Specially when you consider that GMO got tested 3 months only, and by Monsanto. And what got tested? GMO or GMO with round up? I doubt they included round up in their tests.

You do know that the crop does not have round-up actually in it right? A round-up ready crop is a crop that has a gene in it that makes the plant resistant to glyphosate. Which you can see today, we now have 22 species of weeds that have the same gene now through NATURAL selection. In about 10 years I predict Round-up being a thing of the past to be honest.

Now Monsanto, Dow, and several land grant universities are isolating a gene for corn and soybeans to be 2,4-D- and Dicamba resistant. Monsanto inserted the gene with a gene gun, and Dow found it naturally and are breeding a mommy plant to a daddy plant hoping that the gene gets past naturally to the offspring.

We really need to blame the Native Americans for this stuff. If they didn't start messing with corn and making it single stock plant where it would produce one big ear instead of branching out and producing several small ears, we wouldn't be in this mess.

...?

Round up = Glyphosate... We use round up term because it's the brand of it...

Whatever the words you use to say it... It's still: They create GMO, they spray Round up/Glyphosate on crops, then we eat it.

Damrod said:
...?

Round up = Glyphosate... We use round up term because it's the brand of it...

Whatever the words you use to say it... It's still: They create GMO, they spray Round up/Glyphosate on crops, then we eat it.

My apologies, people in agriculture just say glyphosate because Round-up is the Monsanto brand of it. There is also Cornerstone, Duramax, and Touchdown made by Land O Lakes, Dow, and Syngenta. There are lots of people that don't like using Monsanto products, so it's usually just glyphosate. But I digress.

Most glyphosate application on corn and soybeans happen prior to the ears and pods forming. So getting a residue on there is a very hard thing to do in the first place. This is a good farming practice. Good farming practices = low cost = more money for the farmers, so at least most of the farmers I have worked with do follow labels and practice good farming. I know there might be some out there that over use an herbicide, but really they are idiots, they are just losing money. Plus the EPA has to approve a farmer to do applications in extreme cases. If they don't think it is safe, it's not going to happen, they have strict regulations.

Anyways, if in those cases residues do happen to get on there, then it would be below 1 part per million on the corn or bean part that is processed for our consumption. That is so low, you cannot detect it, nor does it have much threat to human health. Plus these chemicals are not allowed to be used until they have been determined by the EPA to have "reasonable certainty of no harm to humans". That is how they word it. Yea, if you go drink Round-Up it's going to poison you, but to eat things that have been sprayed by farmers that are forced to followed rules and regulations. Nope.

Also, you can actually have a acceptable daily intake of glyphosate of 13% according to a risk assessment in 2013. Artificial sweeteners have an ADI of 6%. You are more like to die buy drinking too much coke zero than a corn or soybean product.

Just ran across this while I was looking for something else. As I said, anyone who cares to look, will find any number of problems caused by pesticides and chemicals on food.

Celiac Disease.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3945755/

And here's an article on there being a probable link between glyphosate and autism.
http://althealthworks.com/2494/mit-...ate-1-in-2-children-will-be-autistic-by-2025/
There's also a video and other sources, if you want to research it any more than this.

This is like the climate change and evolution debates. On one hand you have almost unanimous scientific consensus (in this case that organic food is just a scam) on one hand and a smattering of pseudo-science and misinterpreted studies on the other. Merica.

Nicolelt said:
but to eat things that have been sprayed by farmers that are forced to followed rules and regulations. Nope.

Show me a study that prove this in long term effect. Period.

Damrod said:

I have to get ready for work, so I didn't read all of these. But from what I read, they are discussing the toxicity of glyphosate. Allow me to warn you guys. THE LABEL SAYS NOT TO DRINK THIS STUFF! I don't see where it is discussing the long term affects of eating foods that came from a farm field by a farmer that practices good farming, then processed into the food we eat. Also, these studies are from different countries where the regulations are different than our EPA standards. Which makes them a little skewed.

Damrod said:
Nicolelt said:
but to eat things that have been sprayed by farmers that are forced to followed rules and regulations. Nope.

Show me a study that prove this in long term effect. Period.

Here is a study of the long term affects of glyphosate poisoning, but like I said, do not just straight up ingest this stuff.
http://www.1hope.org/glyphos8.htm

Here is some info of on how long glyphosate stays on corn after sprayed. I do not agree with all of it though.
http://gmoanswers.com/ask/how-long-does-glyphosate-remain-roundup-ready-corn-after-it-applied

Now, I would really like to find a study where it says that using glyphosate on corn and soybeans absolutely causing something. I am not talking about poisoning, or the fact it MIGHT lead to something. People at one time said you couldn't drink while pregnant because it might harm the baby, and now they say you can drink at certain points of the pregnancy, make up your mind science! I mean the fact that cornflakes I am eating for breakfast have enough glyphosate in them that I am going to get hurt in the long run. I want to see a study that shows me that everyday foods are so tainted it is going to cause something. Not this petri-dish and lab rat stuff where they injected so much in there it causes something. There is a reason why Agent Orange isn't used a weed killer, it actually harms us (I have a student who is seeing the affects of Agent Orange because her grandpa was exposed to it!).

The one from gmoanswers is someone from the Monsanto company. Like they are actually going to say it's bad for you? lol

The first one. Sketchy source, but when is that article from? I don't see a date anywhere, other than the references from the 1980's and 90's.

Ok. No, your studies aren't valide. They are both made by Monsanto.

They said DDT was safe. They said tobacco was safe. Now you believe them? Come on, learn to get a critical mind...

If you drink it's poisonous, but if you take few each days on food it's not? Seriously... Are you kidding me?

TheRealCallie said:
The one from gmoanswers is someone from the Monsanto company. Like they are actually going to say it's bad for you? lol

The first one. Sketchy source, but when is that article from? I don't see a date anywhere, other than the references from the 1980's and 90's.

http://www.pesticide.org/get-the-fa...f-pesticide-reform/jpr-vol.15-3-fall-1995.pdf

There is the PDF for the first one.

And yea, I said I didn't agree with all the the GMO answer one, but the good farming practices part is true, I rather not scan my textbook for that information just for a silly forum debate.

PieBeNice said:
This is like the climate change and evolution debates. On one hand you have almost unanimous scientific consensus (in this case that organic food is just a scam) on one hand and a smattering of pseudo-science and misinterpreted studies on the other. Merica.

Although this is sarcastic. I do agree with this. I don't think there is enough creditable research on either side to truly come up with a decision. You have the organic people paying money for their propaganda and their high prices to make organic seem like a desirable higher class thing. And companies like Monsatan...ahem Monsanto lobbying in congress. And universities that do the research get their money from one or the either.

I see it now, going back to look, on the first one, but thank you.
That is from 2 decades ago....Pretty sure there are studies more recent than that.

No one ever said you have to scan your textbooks, but I'd hardly say it's a "silly" debate considering the subject. Regardless whether this is a forum or not, we are all still human beings eating that honeysuckle. I think it's an intelligent debate on something that is very useful. Makes more sense than arguing about some of the stupid honeysuckle people argue about on here.

Damrod said:
If you drink it's poisonous, but if you take few each days on food it's not? Seriously... Are you kidding me?

No, I am not. Because the amount of residue on them would take more years than a human life time to do damage. It's just like artificial sweeteners, tobacco, and alcohol. We still consume those, some people everyday in their coffee.

Latest posts

Back