First Conversations with People

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David1985

Reaction score
If I see a group of people talking and I come up and introduce myself. They'll each give my their names, which I don't try to remember, then one asks something like what do you do? I answer.... What am I supposed to do next?

Do I ask each person what they do? That will bore them to tears as they all know the answers. I just wish they'd go back to talking what they did before I arrived. I'm good in group discussions when I came put my input once in a while. Just if all the focus is on me.... Not so good.

What if I ask them what they were talking about before I came? That sounds weird. What if I add something like you all seemed really into it.

Id say it depends on who you try to introduce yourself to. I suck at meeting new people so I don't know what other advice to give. For example it was easy when I was in college to start a conversation , youd just go to somebody and ask if they want to grab a bite inbetween classes and from there on everything goes by itself.
But to go to a group of strangers who you have no background on I've got nothing.

I mean at an event or party. I try asking questions about it. But that often doesn't go very far.

I can tell if they were having more fun before I arrived. I move away after a bit, but that can happen with the next group. And like most people here I hate going up to people, especially if I just struck out.

You know I wonder exactly the same thing.....you get through the pleasantries of "hi" "hi" "nice to meet you" ..........and then what?..........I usually just stay quiet and wait for them to say something.

1) make eye contact.
2) wait couple seconds
3) slowly give a big smile
4) talk like old buddies that you didnt see for a long time so you are just catching up.

I'm still learning "group discussions" so this is a good question. If that person asks what you do, I don't think it would be boring for them cause they went out to ask you. Then maybe you could ask them what that person does if it gets silent, but you would think someone would have a reply to your answer.

If it's silent when you come up to them, I guess say hi and well... I dunno... I'd wanna say "how is everybody"? If they ignore me, then I guess walking away after a bit is the thing to do. *shrug*

Latest posts

Back