First Date Ever

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neozoro

Reaction score
This saturday I have arranged to meet a girl I met on the internet for a coffee date lol. Now I have never been on a date before, or to be honest had much one to one contact with girls in general, and now I'm very, very scared. What do I say/do?
Any advice would be appreciated, but please no 'just be yourself' stuff, I've been doing that for 18 years and it hasn't exactly worked.

first id like to say congrats. second...

well to be honest... you DO just have to be yourself. you dont want her liking you for someone your not, do you? if she doesnt like you for who you are then whats the point of continuing it?

Exactly what edgecrusher said! You could perhaps think of some questions you want to ask her to keep the conversation running. Try to think of some "open" questions and do NOT ask them as you actually planned them like an interview :p!

I'm not good at those things myself but when I searched for advice for my 1st date that was the best advice I've gotten. Things about her family, work, school, hobby's, dreams or it could be anything really! And yea I know how you feel but trust me when the conversation starts up a bit you will feel a lot more comfortable!

I would have a few swigs of vodka a few minutes before meeting her. (Don't listen to me)

Good luck :D

Hi-
Good for you for setting up your first date! Feeling nervous is totally normal; if you weren't nervous, there's something wrong :)
I got back into the dating world online a few months ago after being out for years (raising my young daughter). I'm trying not to be too picky right now with who I meet for coffee because I know I need some practice on my social skills, like conversing with a relative stranger :)
If you keep going with the dating thing, as you go on, you will feel more confident and less nervous. Just keep the conversation light; don't get too deep when you first meet. Smile and make eye contact, girls LOVE that. It helps to think of some conversation topics too before you meet. And if you asked her out for coffee, you should pay (That's my personal rule of thumb :) )
Good luck!!!

Teresa

JUST BE NATURAL

Honestly, just act like you would normally. If you start things off by being someone you're not, then you'll be forced to keep that image going for the duration of the relationship... and that's tough. Just be yourself, have a good time, and enjoy it!

And I guarantee she will too. :)

Be polite...smile, at least a little, make eye contact reasonably often, and do have a few things picked out that you can chat about.
Good luck. :)

Neo, my first few 'date' experiences were downright terrifying. But I will tell you that the anticipation of the event is the absolute WORST part, and it does worse by us than the actual date does.

First off, coffee is a great date idea. It's neutral, it's brief, but allows conversation...and on that rare instance you guys REALLY hit it off, you can always say "Hey, let's go for a walk".

My first advice to you, as someone who has struggled with anxiety and awkwardness and repeated the 'first date' experience a number of times, is to find some way to relax before the event. Exercise, stretch, breathing routines, Yoga...find SOMETHING (besides substances) to calm your nerves.

Make sure you are dressed properly for your persona and the occasion. Look good, but be at ease and be neutral. No shirts with words on them, no pants with chains hanging off the butt (save that for when you guys go to a rock concert). Make sure you have a fresh haircut, fresh shower, and at least deodorant. Some sort of smell-good won't hurt you, either.

The hardest part will be talking to her. This is usually attributable to the fact that women are creatures of unadulterated, universal EVIL and SNEAKY MALCONTENT planning to destroy you in one way or another, disguised to fool your instincts in to thinking they are pretty and nice smelling and enjoyable company, and it is normal to be uncomfortable when speaking to such wicked constructs of life and limb. Anyway, there are two basic ways of making conversation and getting to know someone: Sharing, and Asking. Do a little of both, but do more Asking. If you're going to share, try and have a good story or two about yourself. If you can make her laugh, and laugh with her, that's perfect; so don't worry too much about sharing 'embarassing' things that aren't too personal.

Good things to ask are questions that are either open ended, or require her to tell a story of her own. Generate further questions from what she tells you.

So far I like to go with asking what a girl's goals are; but don't be mechanical. In other words, it shouldn't sound like she's filling out a resume or questionairre. Instead of 'What are your goals?', ask "So are you in college?/Do you want to go to college?", or if she's told you her job, playfully ask "So what do you WISH you were doing?" Or ask about her family. If you need to break some ice starting off, ask how her day has been. If she's clammed up at first, talk about yours then ask about hers. Ask her if she's travelled, or where she would go if she could. This is a good time to then Share your equivalent thoughts. I used this as a talking point with my girlfriend when we first went out and ended up learning that she'd been to a number of interesting places; then I showed off my knowledge of Norse history/ancient religion, which caught her interest. Make sure you are attentive to her, but ALSO make sure to paint a picture of your qualities! Unadulterated Evil does not like boring, and you are NOT boring, you just haven't shared what makes you interesting yet (or perhaps you haven't developed it fully).

Ask her questions that will make her think. Make her tell a story. Start with what you know about her and go from there. If all else fails, ask something TOTALLY out of the blue to make her laugh. One time I asked a girl what her plans were for the coming apocalypse. It continued the conversation for ten minutes.

Your body language will be very important. Try to relax. Don't tighten your shoulders. I like to hold my coffee with one hand and drape the other across the back of my seat so I can't do anything dumb with it.

Above all else, accept that as an adult experiencing a first date, there is a high probability that this will absolutely not work. This is practice. And you WILL get better at these things by putting yourself in regular exposure situations to gain practice.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

Congratulations !
You got some good advice here and Brian's was great lol.
Just remember,
she's nervous too.
Both of you are coming to this with the same goal (meeting one another in person and - if that goes well - getting something going). So in a way, you're on the same side.

Thanks for the advice everyone, especially Brian that was a hefty chunk of useful information. It's the night before and I'm feeling pretty anxious so just gonna try and relax and I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow...

Well she has to be into on some level if she agree to go out with you in the first place. just talk to her like you normally would. dont try to impress or show off. remember she out with you the scariest parts over. lol:D

Well for those that are interested I got within 100 metres of the meeting point and literally broke down. Honest to god it felt as though I was going to collapse, so I just turned and ran away. Don't get me wrong I texted her and explained it, at first she thought it was kind of a joke, but her requests to 'stop being silly' just made me feel awful about myself. I guess you could class me as partly autistic in some ways. I don't mean to say that the condition isn't as bad as it is portrayed, rather that some of the typical characteristics such as a constant daily routine, troubles with social situations and not wanting to do anything new seem to perfectly mirror my life.
Anyway I guess I'm going to have to accept my limitations and give up the whole meeting someone thing, thanks for all the advice and confidence boosters anyway, well thats it from me.

Aw, sorry to hear it didn't work out. May I gently suggest, though, not boxing yourself in by saying you need a constant daily routine, have trouble with social situations and not wanting to do anything new because you just described the majority of the human race.
It's ok, you'll do better next time :)

Teresa

Auww sorry to hear that Neozoro, but you know it's the same as riding a bicycle, no-one does it right in one time. As suckaG said it's just a matter of time! Trust me. Time will heal a-lot of things, including this one :)
Don't give in just yet ;)!

Latest posts

Back